Re: Clement focuser

  • mike3457
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2007
      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "bret7237" <krconn@...> wrote:

      > Any experience or opinion on the Clement focuser out there?
      > Want low profile for imaging with a newt.
      >
      > Thanks for any Imput, Ken

      I may have posted this before.....so I'm sorry if I'm repeating
      myself. I have the 4.25" Clements and so far it is exactly what I was
      looking for. I used it to replace the helical focuser of my FRC-300.
      The extra large aperture of this model let me move the corrector to
      the camera side of the focuser and fix my metal back distance. I then
      added and CAA and a TAKometer. I haven't been able to load it up with
      the large camera yet, but I'm getting great v-curves with this set-up -
      the best I've ever achieved with this scope. Here is an image or two:

      http://www.darksights.com/Clements%20Focuser%20and%20TAKOMeter.htm
    • Ron Brant
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2007
        Mine is the older 2" series Mike, and don't know if this riser would work or not. There is so much hanging off the back of it now, that I don't know if I'd want to add more to it or not!! For the price of the unit (Clement Focuser) it would be nice if a right angle bevel gear arrangement were added to eliminat the problem.
        Ron
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2007
          >> ...an extension that would bolt to the focuser clamp on a camera
          >> nosepiece, to move the camera backwards 1.5".

          > Another solution to the rotation problem:
          >
          > I've got an Optec Pyxis and RoboFocus. The Pyxis does the same job
          > as the spacer, (and of course, does the rotation for you) while the
          > RoboFocus bracket effectively reduces the size of the focuser knob
          > such that the camera has sufficient clearance so it can rotate
          > through 360 degress with no problem.

          I should clarify my setup. I too have the Pyxis, and without the
          CFW-10, it does indeed allow the ST-8 to clear the focus knob.
          However, the ST-8 plus CFW-10 still interferes with the RoboFocus
          motor. That's the reason I needed the 1.5" riser.

          Mike
          http://astronomy.mdodd.com
        • mcmillanjr4221
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2007
            Ahh, I've got an ST8E/CFW8. Clearance is ok with that. The issue
            apparently is the CFW10.

            Jim

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dodd" <mike_dodd@...>
            wrote:
            > > Another solution to the rotation problem:
            > >
            > > I've got an Optec Pyxis and RoboFocus. The Pyxis does the same
            job
            > > as the spacer, (and of course, does the rotation for you) while
            the
            > > RoboFocus bracket effectively reduces the size of the focuser
            knob
            > > such that the camera has sufficient clearance so it can rotate
            > > through 360 degress with no problem.
            >
            > I should clarify my setup. I too have the Pyxis, and without the
            > CFW-10, it does indeed allow the ST-8 to clear the focus knob.
            > However, the ST-8 plus CFW-10 still interferes with the RoboFocus
            > motor. That's the reason I needed the 1.5" riser.
            >
            > Mike
            > http://astronomy.mdodd.com

          • bret7237
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2007
              All of your info is much appreciated.

              Much Thanks, Ken

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mike3457" <mgsandy@...> wrote:

              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "bret7237" <krconn@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Any experience or opinion on the Clement focuser out there?
              > > Want low profile for imaging with a newt.
              > >
              > > Thanks for any Imput, Ken
              > >

              > I may have posted this before.....so I'm sorry if I'm repeating
              > myself. I have the 4.25" Clements and so far it is exactly what I
              was
              > looking for. I used it to replace the helical focuser of my FRC-
              300.
              > The extra large aperture of this model let me move the corrector
              > the camera side of the focuser and fix my metal back distance. I
              then
              > added and CAA and a TAKometer. I haven't been able to load it up
              with
              > the large camera yet, but I'm getting great v-curves with this set-
              up -
              > the best I've ever achieved with this scope. Here is an image or
              two:

              > http://www.darksights.com/Clements%20Focuser%20and%20TAKOMeter.htm

            • Rick Wiggins
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2007
                Hello JIm,
                Could you post a pic of your setup? If you don't have one, maybe
                next time you go to your observatory you could take one.
                Thanks, Rick

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mcmillanjr4221"
                <valueware@...> wrote:

                > Another solution to the rotation problem:
                >
                > I've got an Optec Pyxis and RoboFocus. The Pyxis does the same
                job
                > as the spacer, (and of course, does the rotation for you) while
                the
                > RoboFocus bracket effectively reduces the size of the focuser knob
                > such that the camera has sufficient clearance so it can rotate
                > through 360 degress with no problem.
                >
                > I run the whole thing remotely via ACP and it works perfectly.
                >
                > Jim
                >
                > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dodd <mike_dodd@> wrote:
                > >> Ron Brandt wrote:
                > > > ...the only real problem I have is that you can't rotate the
                > camera
                > > > much as it hits the focusing screw. This is especially bad if
                > you're
                > > > using the AO-7.
                > >
                > > There's a solution for this. When I received my Bellerophon, I
                > > discovered the CFW-10 would hit the focus knob (or Robo-Focus,
                in
                > my
                > > case). I asked Don Clement if he could make an extension that
                would
                > bolt
                > > to the focuser clamp on a camera nosepiece, to move the camera
                > backwards
                > > 1.5". He did, and I see he now has it listed as an accessory on
                his
                > > site. Check out the "riser" at the bottom of:
                > > <http://www.clementfocuser.com/accessories/miscaccessories.html>
                > >
                > > One drawback is that you give up the 3" hole on the camera side.
                > The
                > > three bolt holes prevent anything larger than a 2" hole there.
                The
                > riser
                > > weighs a tad over one pound.
                > >
                > > One note: The riser wasn't installed when the photo on my site
                was
                > shot,
                > > so it's easy to see the interference with the focuser.
                > >
                > > Mike
                > > --
                > >
                > > Mike Dodd
                > > Montpelier, VA USA
                > > http://astronomy.mdodd.com

              • mcmillanjr4221
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2007
                  Hi Rick,

                  Things have changed a little bit since this picture was taken
                  (slightly different spacer arrangement - which you can't really see
                  in this picture - and the RoboFocus orientation has changed), but it
                  still shows that the camera clears the RoboFocus with no problems.

                  Jim

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Wiggins"
                  <rickwiggins@...> wrote:

                  > Hello JIm,
                  > Could you post a pic of your setup? If you don't have one, maybe
                  > next time you go to your observatory you could take one.
                  > Thanks, Rick
                  >
                  > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mcmillanjr4221"
                  > <valueware@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Another solution to the rotation problem:
                  > >
                  > > I've got an Optec Pyxis and RoboFocus. The Pyxis does the same
                  > job
                  > > as the spacer, (and of course, does the rotation for you) while
                  > the
                  > > RoboFocus bracket effectively reduces the size of the focuser
                  knob
                  > > such that the camera has sufficient clearance so it can rotate
                  > > through 360 degress with no problem.
                  > >
                  > > I run the whole thing remotely via ACP and it works perfectly.
                  > >
                  > > Jim
                  > >
                  > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dodd <mike_dodd@>
                  > > camera
                  > > you're
                  > > >
                  > > > There's a solution for this. When I received my Bellerophon, I
                  > > > discovered the CFW-10 would hit the focus knob (or Robo-Focus,
                  > in
                  > > my
                  > > > case). I asked Don Clement if he could make an extension that
                  > would
                  > > bolt
                  > > > to the focuser clamp on a camera nosepiece, to move the camera
                  > > backwards
                  > > > 1.5". He did, and I see he now has it listed as an accessory
                  on
                  > his
                  > > > site. Check out the "riser" at the bottom of:

                  <http://www.clementfocuser.com/accessories/miscaccessories.html>

                  > > > One drawback is that you give up the 3" hole on the camera
                  side.
                  > > The
                  > > > three bolt holes prevent anything larger than a 2" hole there.
                  > The
                  > > riser
                  > > > weighs a tad over one pound.
                  > > >
                  > > > One note: The riser wasn't installed when the photo on my site
                  > was
                  > > shot,
                  > > > so it's easy to see the interference with the focuser.
                  > > >
                  > > > Mike
                  > > > --
                  > > >
                  > > > Mike Dodd
                  > > > Montpelier, VA USA
                  > > > http://astronomy.mdodd.com

                • wmalkin2000
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4, 2007
                    Ken,

                    Here's one more major endorsement for the Clement focusers. I have a
                    3" version and am using it with my Pentax 5" refractor. It's a
                    beautiful piece of engineering and is very stable and precise.

                    I sent Don a sample of the M84 thread on the back of my scope, and
                    he built a couple of custom quick-release adapters for the focuser.
                    They fit perfectly.

                    I have an STL-11000 attached with the 8 position filter wheel. It
                    fits but will not rotate at all. However since the focuser has a
                    quick-release adapter scope side, I can simply loosen the three
                    bolts and easily rotate the entire focuser and camera together
                    (manually). That works well enough for me right now.

                    It took a couple of months for Don to build my focuser but my
                    patience was rewarded.

                    Photos (without the 8-position filter wheel):

                    http://www.pbase.com/wmalkin/focuser_and_camera

                    Wayne