Clement focuser

  • bret7237
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2007
      Any experience or opinion on the Clement focuser out there?
      Want low profile for imaging with a newt.

      Thanks for any Imput, Ken
    • mcmillanjr4221
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2007
        Hi Ken,

        I've got the 3" Bellerophone focuser after first testing the 2".
        For imaging, I'd recommend the 3". It's significantly more stable.

        I'm pretty happy with it. It's focusing range of movement is more
        than most other options while it adds the least amount of additional
        backfocus requirement. The 3" is quite stable, with very little
        flexure. I use it with a RoboFocus, which works quite well. It has
        a pretty large footprint, but it works fine on my LX200 10".

        Definitely recommended.

        Jim

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "bret7237" <krconn@...> wrote:

        > Any experience or opinion on the Clement focuser out there?
        > Want low profile for imaging with a newt.
        >
        > Thanks for any Imput, Ken

      • Ron Brant
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2007
          I have one Ken, the only real problem I have is that you can't rotate the camera much as it hits the focusing screw. This is especially bad if you're using the AO-7.
          rb
          Message 4 of 14 , May 2, 2007
            bret7237 wrote:
            > Any experience or opinion on the Clement focuser out there?
            > Want low profile for imaging with a newt.

            I have a 3" Bellerophon II, and it's a magnificent piece of work.
            Extremely stable and focusing is very precise.

            I bolted mine directly to the SCT rear casting, using three
            home-machined aluminum spacers. You can see a photo of this on my Web
            site; click the Observatory link and scroll all the way to the bottom.

            Talk about stable! This mounting arrangement is _so_ much more rigid
            than clamping to a round adapter.

            Ron Brandt wrote:
            > ...the only real problem I have is that you can't rotate the camera
            > much as it hits the focusing screw. This is especially bad if you're
            > using the AO-7.

            There's a solution for this. When I received my Bellerophon, I
            discovered the CFW-10 would hit the focus knob (or Robo-Focus, in my
            case). I asked Don Clement if he could make an extension that would bolt
            to the focuser clamp on a camera nosepiece, to move the camera backwards
            1.5". He did, and I see he now has it listed as an accessory on his
            site. Check out the "riser" at the bottom of:
            <http://www.clementfocuser.com/accessories/miscaccessories.html>

            One drawback is that you give up the 3" hole on the camera side. The
            three bolt holes prevent anything larger than a 2" hole there. The riser
            weighs a tad over one pound.

            One note: The riser wasn't installed when the photo on my site was shot,
            so it's easy to see the interference with the focuser.

            Mike Dodd
            Montpelier, VA USA
            http://astronomy.mdodd.com
          • Mike Dodd
            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2007
              Mike Dodd wrote:
              > I asked Don Clement if he could make an extension that would bolt
              > to the focuser clamp on a camera nosepiece, to move the camera backwards
              > 1.5".

              Sorry; I meant to write "bolt to the focuser _and_ clamp to a camera
              nosepiece...."

              Mike Dodd
              Montpelier, VA USA
              http://astronomy.mdodd.com
            • mcmillanjr4221
              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2007
                Another solution to the rotation problem:

                I've got an Optec Pyxis and RoboFocus. The Pyxis does the same job
                as the spacer, (and of course, does the rotation for you) while the
                RoboFocus bracket effectively reduces the size of the focuser knob
                such that the camera has sufficient clearance so it can rotate
                through 360 degress with no problem.

                I run the whole thing remotely via ACP and it works perfectly.

                Jim

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dodd <mike_dodd@...> wrote:
                >> Ron Brandt wrote:
                > > ...the only real problem I have is that you can't rotate the
                camera
                > > much as it hits the focusing screw. This is especially bad if
                you're
                > > using the AO-7.
                >
                > There's a solution for this. When I received my Bellerophon, I
                > discovered the CFW-10 would hit the focus knob (or Robo-Focus, in
                my
                > case). I asked Don Clement if he could make an extension that would
                bolt
                > to the focuser clamp on a camera nosepiece, to move the camera
                backwards
                > 1.5". He did, and I see he now has it listed as an accessory on his
                > site. Check out the "riser" at the bottom of:
                > <http://www.clementfocuser.com/accessories/miscaccessories.html>
                >
                > One drawback is that you give up the 3" hole on the camera side.
                The
                > three bolt holes prevent anything larger than a 2" hole there. The
                riser
                > weighs a tad over one pound.
                >
                > One note: The riser wasn't installed when the photo on my site was
                shot,
                > so it's easy to see the interference with the focuser.
                >
                > Mike
                > --
                >
                > Mike Dodd
                > Montpelier, VA USA
                > http://astronomy.mdodd.com

              • mike3457
                Message 7 of 14 , May 2, 2007
                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "bret7237" <krconn@...> wrote:

                  > Any experience or opinion on the Clement focuser out there?
                  > Want low profile for imaging with a newt.
                  >
                  > Thanks for any Imput, Ken

                  I may have posted this before.....so I'm sorry if I'm repeating
                  myself. I have the 4.25" Clements and so far it is exactly what I was
                  looking for. I used it to replace the helical focuser of my FRC-300.
                  The extra large aperture of this model let me move the corrector to
                  the camera side of the focuser and fix my metal back distance. I then
                  added and CAA and a TAKometer. I haven't been able to load it up with
                  the large camera yet, but I'm getting great v-curves with this set-up -
                  the best I've ever achieved with this scope. Here is an image or two:

                  http://www.darksights.com/Clements%20Focuser%20and%20TAKOMeter.htm
                • Ron Brant
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 2, 2007
                    Mine is the older 2" series Mike, and don't know if this riser would work or not. There is so much hanging off the back of it now, that I don't know if I'd want to add more to it or not!! For the price of the unit (Clement Focuser) it would be nice if a right angle bevel gear arrangement were added to eliminat the problem.
                    Ron

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2007
                      >> ...an extension that would bolt to the focuser clamp on a camera
                      >> nosepiece, to move the camera backwards 1.5".

                      > Another solution to the rotation problem:
                      >
                      > I've got an Optec Pyxis and RoboFocus. The Pyxis does the same job
                      > as the spacer, (and of course, does the rotation for you) while the
                      > RoboFocus bracket effectively reduces the size of the focuser knob
                      > such that the camera has sufficient clearance so it can rotate
                      > through 360 degress with no problem.

                      I should clarify my setup. I too have the Pyxis, and without the
                      CFW-10, it does indeed allow the ST-8 to clear the focus knob.
                      However, the ST-8 plus CFW-10 still interferes with the RoboFocus
                      motor. That's the reason I needed the 1.5" riser.

                      Mike
                      http://astronomy.mdodd.com
                    • mcmillanjr4221
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 3, 2007
                        Ahh, I've got an ST8E/CFW8. Clearance is ok with that. The issue
                        apparently is the CFW10.

                        wrote:
                        > > Another solution to the rotation problem:
                        > >
                        > > I've got an Optec Pyxis and RoboFocus. The Pyxis does the same
                        job
                        > > as the spacer, (and of course, does the rotation for you) while
                        the
                        > > RoboFocus bracket effectively reduces the size of the focuser
                        knob
                        > > such that the camera has sufficient clearance so it can rotate
                        > > through 360 degress with no problem.
                        >
                        > I should clarify my setup. I too have the Pyxis, and without the
                        > CFW-10, it does indeed allow the ST-8 to clear the focus knob.
                        > However, the ST-8 plus CFW-10 still interferes with the RoboFocus
                        > motor. That's the reason I needed the 1.5" riser.
                        >
                        > Mike
                        > http://astronomy.mdodd.com

                      • bret7237
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 3, 2007
                          All of your info is much appreciated.

                          Much Thanks, Ken

                          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mike3457" <mgsandy@...> wrote:

                          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "bret7237" <krconn@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Any experience or opinion on the Clement focuser out there?
                          > > Want low profile for imaging with a newt.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for any Imput, Ken
                          > >

                          > I may have posted this before.....so I'm sorry if I'm repeating
                          > myself. I have the 4.25" Clements and so far it is exactly what I
                          was
                          > looking for. I used it to replace the helical focuser of my FRC-
                          300.
                          > The extra large aperture of this model let me move the corrector
                          > the camera side of the focuser and fix my metal back distance. I
                          then
                          > added and CAA and a TAKometer. I haven't been able to load it up
                          with
                          > the large camera yet, but I'm getting great v-curves with this set-
                          up -
                          > the best I've ever achieved with this scope. Here is an image or
                          two:

                          > http://www.darksights.com/Clements%20Focuser%20and%20TAKOMeter.htm

                        • Rick Wiggins
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 3, 2007
                            Hello JIm,
                            Could you post a pic of your setup? If you don't have one, maybe
                            next time you go to your observatory you could take one.
                            Thanks, Rick

                            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mcmillanjr4221"
                            <valueware@...> wrote:

                            > Another solution to the rotation problem:
                            >
                            > I've got an Optec Pyxis and RoboFocus. The Pyxis does the same
                            job
                            > as the spacer, (and of course, does the rotation for you) while
                            the
                            > RoboFocus bracket effectively reduces the size of the focuser knob
                            > such that the camera has sufficient clearance so it can rotate
                            > through 360 degress with no problem.
                            >
                            > I run the whole thing remotely via ACP and it works perfectly.
                            >
                            > Jim
                            >
                            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dodd <mike_dodd@> wrote:
                            > >> Ron Brandt wrote:
                            > > > ...the only real problem I have is that you can't rotate the
                            > camera
                            > > > much as it hits the focusing screw. This is especially bad if
                            > you're
                            > > > using the AO-7.
                            > >
                            > > There's a solution for this. When I received my Bellerophon, I
                            > > discovered the CFW-10 would hit the focus knob (or Robo-Focus,
                            in
                            > my
                            > > case). I asked Don Clement if he could make an extension that
                            would
                            > bolt
                            > > to the focuser clamp on a camera nosepiece, to move the camera
                            > backwards
                            > > 1.5". He did, and I see he now has it listed as an accessory on
                            his
                            > > site. Check out the "riser" at the bottom of:
                            > > <http://www.clementfocuser.com/accessories/miscaccessories.html>
                            > >
                            > > One drawback is that you give up the 3" hole on the camera side.
                            > The
                            > > three bolt holes prevent anything larger than a 2" hole there.
                            The
                            > riser
                            > > weighs a tad over one pound.
                            > >
                            > > One note: The riser wasn't installed when the photo on my site
                            was
                            > shot,
                            > > so it's easy to see the interference with the focuser.
                            > >
                            > > Mike
                            > > --
                            > >
                            > > Mike Dodd
                            > > Montpelier, VA USA
                            > > http://astronomy.mdodd.com

                          • mcmillanjr4221
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 3, 2007
                              Hi Rick,

                              Things have changed a little bit since this picture was taken
                              (slightly different spacer arrangement - which you can't really see
                              in this picture - and the RoboFocus orientation has changed), but it
                              still shows that the camera clears the RoboFocus with no problems.

                              Jim

                              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Wiggins"
                              <rickwiggins@...> wrote:

                              > Hello JIm,
                              > Could you post a pic of your setup? If you don't have one, maybe
                              > next time you go to your observatory you could take one.
                              > Thanks, Rick
                              >
                              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mcmillanjr4221"
                              > <valueware@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Another solution to the rotation problem:
                              > >
                              > > I've got an Optec Pyxis and RoboFocus. The Pyxis does the same
                              > job
                              > > as the spacer, (and of course, does the rotation for you) while
                              > the
                              > > RoboFocus bracket effectively reduces the size of the focuser
                              knob
                              > > such that the camera has sufficient clearance so it can rotate
                              > > through 360 degress with no problem.
                              > >
                              > > I run the whole thing remotely via ACP and it works perfectly.
                              > >
                              > > Jim
                              > >
                              > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dodd <mike_dodd@>
                              > > camera
                              > > you're
                              > > >
                              > > > There's a solution for this. When I received my Bellerophon, I
                              > > > discovered the CFW-10 would hit the focus knob (or Robo-Focus,
                              > in
                              > > my
                              > > > case). I asked Don Clement if he could make an extension that
                              > would
                              > > bolt
                              > > > to the focuser clamp on a camera nosepiece, to move the camera
                              > > backwards
                              > > > 1.5". He did, and I see he now has it listed as an accessory
                              on
                              > his
                              > > > site. Check out the "riser" at the bottom of:

                              <http://www.clementfocuser.com/accessories/miscaccessories.html>

                              > > > One drawback is that you give up the 3" hole on the camera
                              side.
                              > > The
                              > > > three bolt holes prevent anything larger than a 2" hole there.
                              > The
                              > > riser
                              > > > weighs a tad over one pound.
                              > > >
                              > > > One note: The riser wasn't installed when the photo on my site
                              > was
                              > > shot,
                              > > > so it's easy to see the interference with the focuser.
                              > > >
                              > > > Mike
                              > > > --
                              > > >
                              > > > Mike Dodd
                              > > > Montpelier, VA USA
                              > > > http://astronomy.mdodd.com

                            • wmalkin2000
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 4, 2007
                                Ken,

                                Here's one more major endorsement for the Clement focusers. I have a
                                3" version and am using it with my Pentax 5" refractor. It's a
                                beautiful piece of engineering and is very stable and precise.

                                I sent Don a sample of the M84 thread on the back of my scope, and
                                he built a couple of custom quick-release adapters for the focuser.
                                They fit perfectly.

                                I have an STL-11000 attached with the 8 position filter wheel. It
                                fits but will not rotate at all. However since the focuser has a
                                quick-release adapter scope side, I can simply loosen the three
                                bolts and easily rotate the entire focuser and camera together
                                (manually). That works well enough for me right now.

                                It took a couple of months for Don to build my focuser but my
                                patience was rewarded.

                                Photos (without the 8-position filter wheel):

                                http://www.pbase.com/wmalkin/focuser_and_camera

                                Wayne