Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Guide scope for ST-402ME

  • Bob Holzer
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
      Sorry about that Jim, the photo in the middle shows the front focuser best:

      http://www.bobholzer.com/miniborg.htm

      I have no idea how many extension & what length extension tubes I put together to for this. I started out this way as the extension tubes where less expensive than the Borg drawtube. I'll try to remember to measure the next time I'm out at the observatory.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
        Hi everyone, thanks for all the great advice to my original query.
        For extensions to get to focus, just take the lens out of a
        cheap barlow you have lying around and voila! My ST-402ME
        showed up Friday and wouldn't come to focus and Chris at OptCorp
        gave me the barlow tip and it works!

        Regards,
        Brian

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller" <jfmiller7@...>

        newastro@yahoogroups.com]On
        > Behalf Of Bob Holzer
        > Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:39 PM
        > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Guide scope for ST-402ME
        >

        > Hi Jim:
        >
        > I believe the part number is #7857, you can see it at:
        > http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts/html/7857.htm
        >
        > Also, here is an image if it on my old system:
        > http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts/html/7857.htm . It
        is now
        > held in place with solid Borg rings and an ST402 is threaded on
        with a part
        > that reduces the Borg extension tubes down to a t-thread.
        >
        > Bob

      • Rick Wiggins
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
          Hi,
          Please exceuse my interruption in the message chain, but I wanted to
          offer that you don't need a focuser for a guider setup with the Borg
          parts. AT first I did have one, but after not having to refocus for
          a year, I decided to take it out of the image train. I simply focus
          carefully with the drawtube and lock it down. Saves teh money of the
          focuser and takes out another potential failure mechanism.
          Hope it helps,
          Rick

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Holzer" <b.holzer@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Jim:
          >
          > I believe the part number is #7857, you can see it at:
          http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts/html/7857.htm

          > Also, here is an image if it on my old system:
          http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts/html/7857.htm . It is
          now held in place with solid Borg rings and an ST402 is threaded on
          with a part that reduces the Borg extension tubes down to a t-thread.

          > Bob

        • Mike Dodd
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
            Rick Wiggins wrote:
            > I simply focus
            > carefully with the drawtube and lock it down.

            Yeah, so do I. Except my guider consists of a 60mm refractor clamped to
            a dovetail, and an ST-402 also clamped to the dovetail, not to the
            drawtube. The only way to focus is by loosening the dovetail clamps and
            moving one of the brackets. I am able to get FWHM as small as 2 pixels
            in MaxIm focusing this way. :)

            Mike Dodd
            Montpelier, VA USA
            http://astronomy.mdodd.com
          • Bob Holzer
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 6, 2007
              Makes perfect sense Rick!

              Bob

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Wiggins" <rickwiggins@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi,
              > Please exceuse my interruption in the message chain, but I wanted to
              > offer that you don't need a focuser for a guider setup with the Borg
              > parts. AT first I did have one, but after not having to refocus for
              > a year, I decided to take it out of the image train. I simply focus
              > carefully with the drawtube and lock it down. Saves teh money of the
              > focuser and takes out another potential failure mechanism.
              > Hope it helps,
              > Rick
              >
              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Holzer" <b.holzer@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Jim:
              > >
              > > I believe the part number is #7857, you can see it at:
              > http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts/html/7857.htm
              > >
              > > Also, here is an image if it on my old system:
              > http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts/html/7857.htm . It is
              > now held in place with solid Borg rings and an ST402 is threaded on
              > with a part that reduces the Borg extension tubes down to a t-thread.
              > >
              > > Bob

            • Jim Miller
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 6, 2007
                Thanks Rick. So the Borg has a drew tube that slides in and out? I did not
                know that.

                thanks for the tip,

                Jim
                > Please exceuse my interruption in the message chain, but I wanted to
                > offer that you don't need a focuser for a guider setup with the Borg
                > parts. AT first I did have one, but after not having to refocus for
                > a year, I decided to take it out of the image train. I simply focus
                > carefully with the drawtube and lock it down. Saves teh money of the
                > focuser and takes out another potential failure mechanism.
                > Hope it helps,
                > Rick
                >
                > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Holzer" <b.holzer@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Jim:
                > >
                > > I believe the part number is #7857, you can see it at:
                > http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts/html/7857.htm
                > >
                > > Also, here is an image if it on my old system:
                > http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/parts/html/7857.htm . It is
                > now held in place with solid Borg rings and an ST402 is threaded on
                > with a part that reduces the Borg extension tubes down to a t-thread.
                > >
                > > Bob

              • Rick Wiggins
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 6, 2007
                  Hi Jim,
                  Yes it does have a draw tube like that. Doing it this way saves
                  money and reduces errors in flexure. Doing Mike Dodd's suggestion
                  reduces flexure even more.
                  Good luck, Rick