Re: [ccd-newastro] Question for Ron Wodaski

  • Bill Logan
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
      Thanks Adam for the explanation. I guess I could have sat down with my
      calculator and figured it out, but it's so much easier using Ron's
      calculator. LOL.

      Clear skies and calm winds,

      "Dollar" Bill Logan,
      Director, Chief Astronomer and Artist
      Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Observatory
      Located somewhere near Rattlesnake Gulch, St. Johns, Arizona
      NexStar 11 GPS; Orion 80ST; Orion StarShoot Autoguider/imager, Canon 350D
      Imager

      Life goal: To be the person my dog thinks I am.

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
        Hi Bill,
        It's very simple to add any scope or camera to Ron's calculator
        with the "ADD" button. Just enter the specs or you can edit the
        camera_data.dat file with notepad. It's a pretty simple format, even
        I can do it :)
        Bill

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Logan" <wb9sat@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ron,
        >
        > I really love your CCD calculator. I am toying with the idea of
        buying
        > the new PlaneWave Instruments CDK 20 telescope
        > (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/planewave_CDK20_telescope) and
        > wonder if I can add this telescope to the calculator? If not,
        could
        > you add it to the calculator? Here are some specifications:
        >
        > Aperture: 20-inch (510 mm) Dall-Kirkham Astrograph
        > focal length: 3,454 mm
        > focal ratio: f/6.8
        >
        > Although it is designed for large CCD camera, It would be neat to
        see
        > what kind of scale I could get with my Canon EOS 350D.
        >
        > If you need more information on this new telescope, here's their
        > website:
        > www.planewaveinstruments.com
        >

        > Clear skies,
        > Bill

      • sforster12
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
          Bill,
          I have to agree with you. For those of us that don't have Pi
          memorized out to the 13th place, the CCD calclator is easer.

          STU

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Logan" <wb9sat@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Adam for the explanation. I guess I could have sat down with
          my
          > calculator and figured it out, but it's so much easier using Ron's
          > calculator. LOL.
          >
          > Clear skies and calm winds,
          >
          > "Dollar" Bill Logan,
        • Bill Logan
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
            Thanks Bill,

            After I posted the message, I discovered that I could add the scope. Doh!

            Clear skies,

            Dollar Bill Logan
            Director and Chief Astronomer and Artist
            Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Observatory
            Located somewhere near Rattlesnake Gulch, St. Johns, Arizona
            NexStar 11 GPS, CeleStar 8 and Orion StarShoot CCD camera

            Goal in life: To be the person my dog thinks I am.

            > It's very simple to add any scope or camera to Ron's calculator
            > with the "ADD" button. Just enter the specs or you can edit the
            > camera_data.dat file with notepad. It's a pretty simple format, even
            > I can do it :)
            > Bill
            >
            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Logan" <wb9sat@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi Ron,
            >>
            >> I really love your CCD calculator. I am toying with the idea of
            > buying
            >> the new PlaneWave Instruments CDK 20 telescope
            >> (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/planewave_CDK20_telescope) and
            >> wonder if I can add this telescope to the calculator? If not,
            > could
            >> you add it to the calculator? Here are some specifications:
            >>
            >> Aperture: 20-inch (510 mm) Dall-Kirkham Astrograph
            >> focal length: 3,454 mm
            >> focal ratio: f/6.8
            >>
            >> Although it is designed for large CCD camera, It would be neat to
            > see
            >> what kind of scale I could get with my Canon EOS 350D.
            >>
            >> If you need more information on this new telescope, here's their
            >> website:
            >> www.planewaveinstruments.com
            >>

            >> Clear skies,
            >> Bill
            >>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --
            > 3:31 PM

          • Michael Sherick
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
              Hello Group,

              Our new observatory structure is completed, but the recent snow has prevented me from installing much equipment so far. However, on a recent visit to the site (last 100' by foot) I managed to install a DSL Router and a simple fixed focus indoor IP camera that is pointed out the south window of the control room looking toward New Mexico Skies across the valley.

              Although the quality of the image is on the low-end, it is a nice vista that I thought some might be interested in seeing. Access to the camera is at the following link:

              http://216.167.159.236:60003/

              User Name: guest
              Password: guest

              To update the image, refresh your Browser.

              Hopefully the weather will improve in a few weeks so I can finish the installation of observatory equipment, including a high resolution outdoor IP camera for a nice mosaic from the observatory site.

              Regards,
              Mike Sherick
              JMSM Obsevatory
              Mayhill, NM

            • Adam Block
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
                Well... someday someone might thank me. That number, 206,265 is also, by definition, the number of astronomical units in a parsec. The uses of the number are really wonderful and I think it rolls of the tongue. <g>
                Adam

                I have to agree with you. For those of us that don't have Pi
                memorized out to the 13th place, the CCD calclator is easer.

                STU

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Logan" <wb9sat@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Adam for the explanation. I guess I could have sat down with
                my
                > calculator and figured it out, but it's so much easier using Ron's
                > calculator. LOL.
                >
                > Clear skies and calm winds,
                >
                > "Dollar" Bill Logan,

                Adam Block
                ngc1535@...
                http://caelumobservatory.com/
                Caelum videre iussit, et erectos ad sidera tollere vultus.
                He bid them look at the sky and lift their faces to the stars.
                --Ovid, Metamorphoses 1. 85-8
              • Bob Birket
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
                  Thank You Adam...... For making some sense to the mathmatics involved in imaging...:>)

                  Bob

                  Adam Block <ngc1535@...> wrote:
                  Well... someday someone might thank me. That number, 206,265 is also, by definition, the number of astronomical units in a parsec. The uses of the number are really wonderful and I think it rolls of the tongue. <g>
                  Adam

                  I have to agree with you. For those of us that don't have Pi
                  memorized out to the 13th place, the CCD calclator is easer.

                  STU

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Logan" <wb9sat@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Adam for the explanation. I guess I could have sat down with
                  my
                  > calculator and figured it out, but it's so much easier using Ron's
                  > calculator. LOL.
                  >
                  > Clear skies and calm winds,
                  >
                  > "Dollar" Bill Logan,

                  Adam Block
                  ngc1535@...
                  http://caelumobservatory.com/
                  Caelum videre iussit, et erectos ad sidera tollere vultus.
                  He bid them look at the sky and lift their faces to the stars.
                  --Ovid, Metamorphoses 1. 85-8

                • Randy Nulman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
                    Hi Mike,
                    The view is great! Glad you posted this "vista" as it shows the
                    beauty of the snow that occurred a few days ago. Not great for
                    imaging or testing, but worth seeing!!

                    Regards,
                    Randy

                    http://rc20.stonehenge-obs.com

                    --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sherick
                    <michaelsherick@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Group,
                    >
                    > Our new observatory structure is completed, but the recent snow
                    has prevented me from installing much equipment so far. However, on
                    a recent visit to the site (last 100' by foot) I managed to install
                    a DSL Router and a simple fixed focus indoor IP camera that is
                    pointed out the south window of the control room looking toward New
                    Mexico Skies across the valley.

                    > Although the quality of the image is on the low-end, it is a
                    nice vista that I thought some might be interested in seeing.
                    Access to the camera is at the following link:

                    > http://216.167.159.236:60003/
                    >
                    > User Name: guest
                    > Password: guest
                    >
                    > To update the image, refresh your Browser.
                    >
                    > Hopefully the weather will improve in a few weeks so I can
                    finish the installation of observatory equipment, including a high
                    resolution outdoor IP camera for a nice mosaic from the observatory
                    site.

                    > Regards,
                    > Mike Sherick
                    > JMSM Obsevatory
                    > Mayhill, NM

                  • sforster12
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Block" <ngc1535@...> wrote:

                      > Well... someday someone might thank me. That number, 206,265 is
                      also, by definition, the number of astronomical units in a parsec.
                      The uses of the number are really wonderful and I think it rolls of
                      the tongue. <g>
                      > Adam

                      Adam,

                      Only if you're an African chameleon with a three foot long tongue
                      does it easily roll.

                      In all seriousness, your inut is greatly appreciated, andyour formula
                      has been cut and pasted into my optical formuae file.

                      STU

                    • Randy Nulman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
                        Hi Adam,
                        I will certainly thank you for presenting the math/equation to the
                        group. I do believe that Ron's program allows for "visual"
                        determination of many particular objects within a given field of
                        view...and this can't be overlooked. But, knowing the math behind
                        determining FOV (or arcsec/pix...and total FOV horizontally and
                        vertically) for a particular setup is certainly something everyone
                        should try to understand IMHO. Of course, Ron set up his program to
                        allow for new configurations and simplicity...this, also, can not be
                        overlooked. <G>

                        Thanks and regards,

                        Randy Nulman

                        wrote:

                        > Well... someday someone might thank me. That number, 206,265 is
                        also, by definition, the number of astronomical units in a parsec.
                        The uses of the number are really wonderful and I think it rolls of
                        the tongue. <g>
                        > Adam

                      • Luke Bellani
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
                          Hi Adam,

                          I want to thank you for pointing out some of the advantages of using some
                          basic mathematics to clarify relationships between different systems in
                          common use in armature astronomy. We need to be reminded of the value of
                          having a basic understanding of these relationships which can only enrich
                          our hobby. We are prone to becoming to reliant on "tools" that do the
                          thinking for us. I for one will use the information you have provided
                          extensively in the future.

                          Sincerely,

                          Luke.

                          --- In ccd-newastro@ <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                          yahoogroups.com, "Bill Logan" <wb9sat@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks Adam for the explanation. I guess I could have sat down with
                          my
                          > calculator and figured it out, but it's so much easier using Ron's
                          > calculator. LOL.
                          >
                          > Clear skies and calm winds,
                          >
                          > "Dollar" Bill Logan,

                          Adam Block