The Pinwheel Galaxy....M33

  • Bud
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hello friends,

      This is a mixed focal length composite.
      The predominant frame was produced on first light night with my new
      E180ed and had to be cropped significantly because of the wrong
      adapters for the camera.
      The center galaxy section is a combination of Vixen R200SS and Meade
      10" SN and the E180ed data. This was added into the E180ed data to
      increase the detail and reduce some of the noise.

      http://www.budguinn.com/gallery2/d/772-2/M33-wide-red-framed.jpg

      http://www.budguinn.com/gallery2/d/771-2/M33-wide-red-framed.jpg

      approx total time is six hours +
      Meade SN 10" Newtonian
      Vixen R200SS Newtonian
      Tak Epsilon 180ed Newtonian

      Acquired in AstroArt with a CGE Mount.
      Processed in ImagesPlus then aligned in Registar and restacked in
      PSCS2 with final tweaks in PSCS2 and using Noel Carboni's AstroTools
      actions.

      I really wanted to take much more time with the E180ed and the right
      adapters, but I have had nothing but clouds since the first
      night......oh well.

      comments are always appreciated,

      bud
      http://www.budguinn.com
    • Randy Nulman
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
        Bud,
        This is really nice! Maybe lacking a "tad" in the green channel,
        but this would be very minor. (Did you have any light pollution
        issues that caused you to bring down the green?)

        Hope your weather improves soon...

        Randy Nulman

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bud" <budguinn@...> wrote:

        > Hello friends,
        >
        > This is a mixed focal length composite.
        > The predominant frame was produced on first light night with my new
        > E180ed and had to be cropped significantly because of the wrong
        > adapters for the camera.
        > The center galaxy section is a combination of Vixen R200SS and
        Meade
        > 10" SN and the E180ed data. This was added into the E180ed data to
        > increase the detail and reduce some of the noise.
        >
        > http://www.budguinn.com/gallery2/d/772-2/M33-wide-red-framed.jpg
        >
        > http://www.budguinn.com/gallery2/d/771-2/M33-wide-red-framed.jpg
        >
        > approx total time is six hours +
        > Meade SN 10" Newtonian
        > Vixen R200SS Newtonian
        > Tak Epsilon 180ed Newtonian
        >
        > Acquired in AstroArt with a CGE Mount.
        > Processed in ImagesPlus then aligned in Registar and restacked in
        > PSCS2 with final tweaks in PSCS2 and using Noel Carboni's
        AstroTools
        > actions.
        >
        > I really wanted to take much more time with the E180ed and the
        right
        > adapters, but I have had nothing but clouds since the first
        > night......oh well.
        >
        > comments are always appreciated,
        >
        > bud
        > http://www.budguinn.com

      • Bud
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
          Thanks Randy.....with the green, do you feel it should have a bit more
          of a cyan look to it?
          I did have a considerable central hot spot that had a green cast to
          it.....this was from having the wrong adapters and shooting a big chip
          through 1 1/4 filters......so I may have overdid the reduction of this
          gradient/hot spot.

          thanks for looking,

          bud
          http://www.budguinn.com

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Nulman" <rj.nulman@...> wrote:

          > Bud,
          > This is really nice! Maybe lacking a "tad" in the green channel,
          > but this would be very minor. (Did you have any light pollution
          > issues that caused you to bring down the green?)
          >
          > Hope your weather improves soon...
          >
          > Randy Nulman
          >

          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bud" <budguinn@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello friends,
          > >
          > > This is a mixed focal length composite.
          > > The predominant frame was produced on first light night with my new
          > > E180ed and had to be cropped significantly because of the wrong
          > > adapters for the camera.
          > > The center galaxy section is a combination of Vixen R200SS and
          > Meade
          > > 10" SN and the E180ed data. This was added into the E180ed data to
          > > increase the detail and reduce some of the noise.
          > >
          > > http://www.budguinn.com/gallery2/d/772-2/M33-wide-red-framed.jpg
          > >
          > > http://www.budguinn.com/gallery2/d/771-2/M33-wide-red-framed.jpg
          > >
          > > approx total time is six hours +
          > > Meade SN 10" Newtonian
          > > Vixen R200SS Newtonian
          > > Tak Epsilon 180ed Newtonian
          > >
          > > Acquired in AstroArt with a CGE Mount.
          > > Processed in ImagesPlus then aligned in Registar and restacked in
          > > PSCS2 with final tweaks in PSCS2 and using Noel Carboni's
          > AstroTools
          > > actions.
          > >
          > > I really wanted to take much more time with the E180ed and the
          > right
          > > adapters, but I have had nothing but clouds since the first
          > > night......oh well.
          > >
          > > comments are always appreciated,
          > >
          > > bud
          > > http://www.budguinn.com

        • Randy Nulman
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
            Yes, but actually just a "bit" more blue to the faint arms...adding
            just a small amount of green would do this if you don't have a green
            cast to begin with. (But the amount of green adjustment I'm talking
            about is so small that I don't think it will bring out any green
            cast from the light pollution or optics)...just a very minor "tweak".

            Randy

          • edgellmh
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bud" <budguinn@...> wrote:

              > Hello friends,
              >
              > This is a mixed focal length composite.
              > The predominant frame was produced on first light night with my new
              > E180ed and had to be cropped significantly because of the wrong
              > adapters for the camera.
              > The center galaxy section is a combination of Vixen R200SS and Meade
              > 10" SN and the E180ed data. This was added into the E180ed data to
              > increase the detail and reduce some of the noise.
              >
              > http://www.budguinn.com/gallery2/d/772-2/M33-wide-red-framed.jpg
              >
              > http://www.budguinn.com/gallery2/d/771-2/M33-wide-red-framed.jpg
              >
              > approx total time is six hours +
              > Meade SN 10" Newtonian
              > Vixen R200SS Newtonian
              > Tak Epsilon 180ed Newtonian
              >
              > Acquired in AstroArt with a CGE Mount.
              > Processed in ImagesPlus then aligned in Registar and restacked in
              > PSCS2 with final tweaks in PSCS2 and using Noel Carboni's AstroTools
              > actions.
              >
              > I really wanted to take much more time with the E180ed and the right
              > adapters, but I have had nothing but clouds since the first
              > night......oh well.
              >
              > comments are always appreciated,
              >
              > bud
              > http://www.budguinn.com

              What is the deal with the name, Pinwheel Galaxy? When I was looking up
              the M101 galaxy any text I found about M101 called it the Pinwheel
              Galaxy. I have seen other sources calling M33 the Pinwheel Galaxy as
              well. Is this a generic usage?

              marshall hall edgell
            • Bud
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
                Hi Marshall,

                I think the name has been co opted by a few different
                galaxies....M101, M33 and a few others....

                http://www.astr.ua.edu/gifimages/m33.html

                Then there is M83....the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy
                http://www.seds.org/messier/m/m083.html

                then there is M99
                http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/P/Pinwheel_Galaxy.html

                I guess it's kind of a designation for this style of face on galaxy.

                thanks for looking,

                bud