C-14 Guiding

  • sonoran_skies
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi Ron,
      I remember reading about the measures you went to trying to guide your
      C-14 with a guide scope. I know this was mostly unsuccesful. We do
      only photometry and the images don't have to be perfect. Did you get
      reasonable enough images to be used for photometric purposes or were
      they just plain no good? We're thinking of guiding some of our B
      exposures to get a better s/n, especially when we need 10-20 minutes on
      the dimmer stuff. Thanks.

      John G
    • Wodaski - Yahoo
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2006
        It all depends on the amount of differential flexure you get. The C14
        and the guide scope will flex by different amounts during the exposures,
        elongating the stars. If you can adjust the aperture of your photometry
        software to take this into account, then you will be more or less OK.

        Ron

        sonoran_skies wrote:
        > Hi Ron,
        > I remember reading about the measures you went to trying to guide your
        > C-14 with a guide scope. I know this was mostly unsuccesful. We do
        > only photometry and the images don't have to be perfect. Did you get
        > reasonable enough images to be used for photometric purposes or were
        > they just plain no good? We're thinking of guiding some of our B
        > exposures to get a better s/n, especially when we need 10-20 minutes on
        > the dimmer stuff. Thanks.
        >
        > John G
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        New Astronomy Press