RE: [ccd-newastro] I'm about to smash my ST2k........Please stop me!

  • George Sallit
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
      Frank,

      I had a look at your images and they do look a little noisier than my ST2K.
      Mine normally end up with just a few dark/bright pixels although I use a 10
      minute exposure time due to my closeness to a major airport. My initial
      thoughts are that your images look like mine when I need to refresh the dark
      library.

      A couple of comments, are you certain there is no light leak? It should not
      give a problem with hot pixels but may make things worse.

      I compared the average noise levels in your camera and the standard
      deviation and they were not too dissimilar. Mine were (for 600 secs) 1000
      +/- 188 @-20C and yours (for 1200) 2040 +/- 431 @ -25C. Your gain is 0.64
      mine 0.55 so the numbers are not too far out.

      Have you tried taking the darks at the same time as the lights, there can
      sometimes be a difference if the outside air temp is higher for the darks
      than the lights?

      The other way of really reducing noise it to use a random shift between
      images so that the noise in the images does not coincide. It is possible to
      do this automatically with Maxim and auto dither or manually with the hand
      set (a bit more of a chore).

      Using blink comparison is normally not too helpful, particularly if the
      programme out-ranges. I also get a noisy looking dark frame if I subtract
      two images. If you have two sets of dark frames then median combine the
      first and then the second and then subtract them, that may give a better
      clue.

      It may be worth (and I suspect you may have already) try starting from
      scratch in a methodical way. Start by using Maxim (I know a change but it
      may be something subtle).

      Firstly take a set (10) of bias frames and then a set (10) of dark frames of
      about 2 mins.
      Now take a set (10) of light frames of 2mins.

      Now median combine the bias and darks and use them to calibrate the light
      frames. The median combine the calibrated light frames and see what results.
      If the result has few hot/dark pixels then OK. If not measure all the frames
      and see if there is anything odd about them. I can give you comparison data
      on my measurements if that helps so we can try and track down the issue.

      Now try extending the times of the dark and lights and see what happens. You
      should look to see when things get worse (cliff-edge effect) or whether the
      gradually get worse. This should help track down the issue(s).

      Sorry I do not have the magic bullet but your calibration approach is right
      and those images are more noisier than mine.

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
        Hi Frank,

        Random 'hot pixels' are usually data errors of some kind. For example, they could be due to interruptions of the camera download as other computer processes capture the bus. Is you control computer running free of other intensive applications? Network activity is a classic cause of random effects.

        Regards,
        Terry

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
          > I shot 10 darks in a row, of course all with the same temp and time
          > settings. Then I opened them up in both Maxim and CCDSoft and ran a
          > blink comparison. During the blink comparison, you can see that about
          > 1/2 of the hot pixels are fixed in their position while the rest jump
          > around all over the image.

          At first I was going to suggest cosmic rays, but I don't think that is
          the case.

          I took a look at your dark frames, and you're right - there are lots of
          bright pixels moving between frames. Something strange is going on. Here
          are ADU levels from the same two pixels on all three darks:

          Coordinates Frame 3 Frame 4 Frame 5
          ----------- ------- ------- -------
          686,542 2,148 2,041 16,406
          705,563 12,797 13,158 2,020

          Notice how the 686,542 pixel's ADU remains at the 2K level for two
          frames, then jumps to 16K in the third. The opposite is true for the
          705,563 pixel. It has a high ADU for two frames, then drops in the third.

          Furthermore, it isn't just the really-bright pixels that are doing this.
          Many of the jumping pixels have ADUs only slightly higher than the
          (roughly) 2K background level.

          This sort of noise can be caused by unstable cooling. Your dark frame
          headers indicate they were exposed at -25C; what was the cooler power
          percentage? Generally, you should keep it below about 85% for stable
          cooling. If it was above that, I'm thinking that might be the source of
          the random bright pixels.

          Another issue might be light pollution. The SBIG cameras aren't
          light-tight, so ambient light can find its way inside. Even brief
          flashes could cause some low-level bright pixels, and changing locations
          would account for the jumping pixels. What was going on around the
          camera while the darks were being exposed?

          Fortunately, there are a couple of simple tests you can perform to help
          identify the source of the noise.

          1. Set up in a dark area and cool the camera to a point where the cooler
          power is below 85%. The exact temperature isn't important, so don't
          worry if you can't get to -25C. Take several 20-minute dark frames and
          see if there are fewer jumping pixels (there might be more noise, but
          most of the pixels should remain the same between frames). If so, then
          the problem is likely the cooler power level.

          2. If you still see a lot of jumping pixels, it's time to check for
          light pollution. Put the camera in the refrigerator and cool it to the
          same temperature as in test #1 (in the 'fridge, the cooler power should
          be very low). Now take several 20-minute exposures (don't open the
          refrigerator door) and check the noise pixels again. If there are fewer
          than test #1, you're dealing with a light leak.

          Finally, if you see approximately the same number of jumping pixels with
          these two tests, it might be time to have SBIG check the camera. Maybe
          the CCD chip isn't bonded effectively to the cooler plate, so even
          though the cooler is maintained at the set temperature, the chip isn't
          being cooled.

          Hope this helps.

          Mike Dodd
          Montpelier, VA (37 49'N, 77 42'W)
          Celestron CGE 9.25", SBIG ST-8XM
          http://astronomy.mdodd.com
        • Photon Collector
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
            I usually run CCDSoft and TheSky 6. I also control the laptop from the house using MS Remote Desktop via a network cable.
            I am running a series of tests now. I put the camera in a large cooler and wrapped the cooler with a heavy moving blanket. I also have the camera capped and set the Ha filter in place. Only CCDSoft is running. The dew heaters and mount drives are all off. Now I'm shooting a series of darks, three for each test.
            First test is with network cable unplugged.
            Next I will make a direct connection from the camera to the laptop via USB and bypass the hub.

            ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
              Hey Frank,

              I think you'll have your answer after running these test. I suspect the hub
              and or network will be the culprit.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                Hi Frank:
                I've had that sort of salt & pepper artifact problem on occasion with my
                ST10-XME; don't know what causes it or cures it, seems to have its own
                schedule.
                On the positive side, I find I can get rid of them with the hot and cold
                pixel removal tools in MaxIm. Extra steps, but they clean up pretty
                well---never have to use the clone tool in Photoshop.
                Bert

                katzung1@...
                www.astronomy-images.com
                www.visionlightgallery.com/katzung/

                > I have been imaging with my ST2k imager for a couple years now. I have
                > always had big problems with random hot (or bright) pixels. My images and
                > darks have the usual consistent hot pixels that subtract out as they
                > should. But both the images and the darks also have a large quantity of
                > random hot pixels that differ from image to image and dark to dark. These
                > random hot pixels do not subtract out because they pop up at random
                > throughout the images and darks. The result is an image with many bright
                > and dark pixels. Bright pixels remain in the image because the dark frame
                > doesn't contain a corresponding bright pixel to subtract out. Dark pixels
                > appear in the reduced image because the dark frame has bright pixels where
                > there are none on the image.
                > To prove to myself that the problem is real, I subtracted one dark frame
                > from another dark frame shot in sequence. The resultant image should be
                > very smooth. Instead it has bright and dark pixels, just like my images.
                > As another test, I shot 10 darks in a row, of course all with the same
                > temp and time settings. Then I opened them up in both Maxim and CCDSoft
                > and ran a blink comparison. During the blink comparison, you can see that
                > about 1/2 of the hot pixels are fixed in their position while the rest
                > jump around all over the image. The same is true when doing a blink
                > comparison of a series of raw images shot in sequence.
                > I even went as far as upgrading my imaging chip from the older 2001 chip
                > to the new and (supposedly) less noisy 2020 chip at great cost to me. The
                > results are exactly the same.
                > Here is an example of a completed image:
                > http://publicmissiles.com/franku/2020_-25_f55_processed_NGC_7331.jpg
                > It is a combination of 8, 20 minute exposures median combined after
                > reduction using 10 median combined dark frames and the appropriate flat
                > fields.
                > If someone out there has a broadband connection (12 meg file!) and is
                > willing to help, I have up-loaded a zip file containing a raw image, a
                > flat field, and 3 dark frames. Try processing the image with the data I
                > provided to see if you can get a clean image......I sure can't. Here is
                > the zip file with everything you need:
                > http://publicmissiles.com/franku/Raw_stuff.zip
                > In the past I would spend an hour or two with the clone tool cleaning up
                > every bad pixel. But I just can't believe this is what everyone else goes
                > through. I never hear about problems similar to what I'm having. I hope
                > it's just something I'm doing wrong but I can't imagine what it is. Is it
                > possible that something in the observatory environment is causing the
                > random hot pixels?
                >

                > ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

              • Photon Collector
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                  The hot and cold pixel removal tools in MaxIM didn't do much at all. Instead I used the median kernel filter in MaxIM on each of my subframe right after initial reduction. I then did a median combine of the 8 subframes.
                  The image is MUCH better! Take a look but please excuse my quick post-processing. Nothing was done to remove bad pixels in PS.
                  http://publicmissiles.com/franku/2020_-25_f55_processed2_NGC_7331.jpg

                  Of course, this is not a fix of the root cause but it's many times better than ever before. I'm still running my equipment tests.

                  ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

                  > I have been imaging with my ST2k imager for a couple years now. I have
                  > always had big problems with random hot (or bright) pixels. My images and
                  > darks have the usual consistent hot pixels that subtract out as they
                  > should. But both the images and the darks also have a large quantity of
                  > random hot pixels that differ from image to image and dark to dark. These
                  > random hot pixels do not subtract out because they pop up at random
                  > throughout the images and darks. The result is an image with many bright
                  > and dark pixels. Bright pixels remain in the image because the dark frame
                  > doesn't contain a corresponding bright pixel to subtract out. Dark pixels
                  > appear in the reduced image because the dark frame has bright pixels where
                  > there are none on the image.
                  > To prove to myself that the problem is real, I subtracted one dark frame
                  > from another dark frame shot in sequence. The resultant image should be
                  > very smooth. Instead it has bright and dark pixels, just like my images.
                  > As another test, I shot 10 darks in a row, of course all with the same
                  > temp and time settings. Then I opened them up in both Maxim and CCDSoft
                  > and ran a blink comparison. During the blink comparison, you can see that
                  > about 1/2 of the hot pixels are fixed in their position while the rest
                  > jump around all over the image. The same is true when doing a blink
                  > comparison of a series of raw images shot in sequence.
                  > I even went as far as upgrading my imaging chip from the older 2001 chip
                  > to the new and (supposedly) less noisy 2020 chip at great cost to me. The
                  > results are exactly the same.
                  > Here is an example of a completed image:
                  > http://publicmissiles.com/franku/2020_-25_f55_processed_NGC_7331.jpg
                  > It is a combination of 8, 20 minute exposures median combined after
                  > reduction using 10 median combined dark frames and the appropriate flat
                  > fields.
                  > If someone out there has a broadband connection (12 meg file!) and is
                  > willing to help, I have up-loaded a zip file containing a raw image, a
                  > flat field, and 3 dark frames. Try processing the image with the data I
                  > provided to see if you can get a clean image......I sure can't. Here is
                  > the zip file with everything you need:
                  > http://publicmissiles.com/franku/Raw_stuff.zip
                  > In the past I would spend an hour or two with the clone tool cleaning up
                  > every bad pixel. But I just can't believe this is what everyone else goes
                  > through. I never hear about problems similar to what I'm having. I hope
                  > it's just something I'm doing wrong but I can't imagine what it is. Is it
                  > possible that something in the observatory environment is causing the
                  > random hot pixels?
                  >

                  > ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

                • Wodaski - Yahoo
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                    I can't speak to the cause of your problem, although I think Terry's
                    idea about CPU cycles possible being an issue is worth examination.

                    When was the last time you updated your SBIG drivers? Older versions of
                    the SBIG drivers, when loaded into your camera, would cause you to get
                    poorer performance.

                    How sure are you of the voltage going into the camera? If available, try
                    an alternate power supply.

                    From a processing angle, download Russell Croman's RC-Astro Console for
                    MaxIm DL. It contains a routine for identifying and dealing with random
                    pixel variations. I used it with my STL-11000 before SBIG provided new
                    drivers that eliminated the random pixel problem (well, mostly). To
                    download:

                    http://www.rc-astro.com/resources/rc_console.html

                    Your long exposures are also potentially an issue, especially if this is
                    related to power supply fluctuations. What kind of variations do you get
                    with 5- or 10-minute images/darks?

                    Also, just a point: if you are going to take eight images, then take at
                    least 8 darks. Otherwise, your darks are adding more noise than they
                    should to the final result.

                    As others have suggested, the ABG chips in the SBIG cameras perform
                    noticeably better if you dither across several pixels. This alone can
                    make a significant difference by offsetting the pixels and allowing
                    rejection algorithms to function more effectively.

                    Ron Wodaski

                    New Astronomy Press
                    http://www.newastro.com
                  • Photon Collector
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                      Replies within text below.........

                      I can't speak to the cause of your problem, although I think Terry's
                      idea about CPU cycles possible being an issue is worth examination.
                      ...I'm using an IBM ThinkPad A21m running at 650 MHz with 512 meg RAM. I only run CCDSoft and TheSky 6 (with all Real Sky stuff turned off).

                      When was the last time you updated your SBIG drivers? Older versions of
                      the SBIG drivers, when loaded into your camera, would cause you to get
                      poorer performance.
                      ...I'd say the drivers are a year old or so.

                      How sure are you of the voltage going into the camera? If available, try
                      an alternate power supply.
                      ...I'm using the SBIG power supply that came with the camera. I don't have a second one to try.

                      From a processing angle, download Russell Croman's RC-Astro Console for
                      MaxIm DL. It contains a routine for identifying and dealing with random
                      pixel variations. I used it with my STL-11000 before SBIG provided new
                      drivers that eliminated the random pixel problem (well, mostly). To
                      download:

                      http://www.rc-astro.com/resources/rc_console.html
                      ...I'll give it a try.

                      Your long exposures are also potentially an issue, especially if this is
                      related to power supply fluctuations. What kind of variations do you get
                      with 5- or 10-minute images/darks?
                      ...I never compared them. I will though.

                      Also, just a point: if you are going to take eight images, then take at
                      least 8 darks. Otherwise, your darks are adding more noise than they
                      should to the final result.
                      ...I use 10-12 darks and 20 flat fields at all times.

                      As others have suggested, the ABG chips in the SBIG cameras perform
                      noticeably better if you dither across several pixels. This alone can
                      make a significant difference by offsetting the pixels and allowing
                      rejection algorithms to function more effectively.
                      ...I had no improvement the last time I tried that but I'm willing to try it again.

                      Ron Wodaski

                      ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

                    • Wodaski - Yahoo
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                        See my comments below.

                        Ron

                        Photon Collector wrote:
                        > Replies within text below.........
                        >
                        > I can't speak to the cause of your problem, although I think Terry's
                        > idea about CPU cycles possible being an issue is worth examination.
                        > ...I'm using an IBM ThinkPad A21m running at 650 MHz with 512 meg RAM. I only run CCDSoft and TheSky 6 (with all Real Sky stuff turned off).

                        --> That's very slow by today's standards. Could be an issue.
                        > When was the last time you updated your SBIG drivers? Older versions of
                        > the SBIG drivers, when loaded into your camera, would cause you to get
                        > poorer performance.
                        > ...I'd say the drivers are a year old or so.

                        There have been major changes during that year. An update is well worth
                        it. You will need to make new darks/bias.
                        > How sure are you of the voltage going into the camera? If available, try
                        > an alternate power supply.
                        > ...I'm using the SBIG power supply that came with the camera. I don't have a second one to try.
                        >
                        > From a processing angle, download Russell Croman's RC-Astro Console for
                        > MaxIm DL. It contains a routine for identifying and dealing with random
                        > pixel variations. I used it with my STL-11000 before SBIG provided new
                        > drivers that eliminated the random pixel problem (well, mostly). To
                        > download:
                        >
                        > http://www.rc-astro.com/resources/rc_console.html
                        > ...I'll give it a try.
                        >
                        > Your long exposures are also potentially an issue, especially if this is
                        > related to power supply fluctuations. What kind of variations do you get
                        > with 5- or 10-minute images/darks?
                        > ...I never compared them. I will though.
                        >
                        > Also, just a point: if you are going to take eight images, then take at
                        > least 8 darks. Otherwise, your darks are adding more noise than they
                        > should to the final result.
                        > ...I use 10-12 darks and 20 flat fields at all times.
                        >
                        > As others have suggested, the ABG chips in the SBIG cameras perform
                        > noticeably better if you dither across several pixels. This alone can
                        > make a significant difference by offsetting the pixels and allowing
                        > rejection algorithms to function more effectively.
                        > ...I had no improvement the last time I tried that but I'm willing to try it again.

                        --> Then we can look at your data rejection methods. Dithering works
                        great if you use the right tools in the right way.
                        > Ron Wodaski
                        >

                        > ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        New Astronomy Press
                        http://www.newastro.com
                      • Photon Collector
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                          I'm sad to say that my test results are bad news.
                          I took 3x15 minute dark frames at -15 degrees for each of the following:
                          Original configuration as a base line.
                          With network off and unplugged.
                          With network off and direct USB connection.
                          With network off and direct USB connection and all other items (heaters, mount, etc.) turned off.

                          None of the above made any difference. All of the darks look the same as the base line dark. Same amount of fixed hot pixels and about the same amount of random bright pixels.

                          ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                            > None of the above made any difference. All of the darks look the same
                            > as the base line dark. Same amount of fixed hot pixels and about the
                            > same amount of random bright pixels.

                            Then you might want to update the camera drivers, as Ron and others
                            suggested. I remember one fix a few months ago that sounded fairly
                            major. Don't know if it will fix your problem, but it's definitely worth
                            a try.

                            Mike Dodd
                            Montpelier, VA (37 49'N, 77 42'W)
                            Celestron CGE 9.25", SBIG ST-8XM
                            http://astronomy.mdodd.com
                          • L.Knoll
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                              Rocketman:

                              I agree with Steve. I think you have some kind of BW/transmission/network problem, or maybe even an EMI problem from some nearby source of transient impulses (dome motor, nearby industrial motors, bad hydro transmission lines, etc.).

                              Is all your stuff shielded correctly wrt signal/equipment grounds? There is a big difference between signal and equipment grounding as far as ground noise and ground bounce in digital systems.

                              Is there any chance of you borrowing another same brand/model camera from someone in a local astronomy club?

                              All else aside ... I feel your pain. I'll courier you a sledge hammer if you want. :)

                              I am an electronics technologist and by no means an experienced engineering astronomy 'guru', but this sounds too weird. Assuming your camera is OK as far as production line parameter windows go ... there are many sources of random noise impules, both external and internal to your camera, so make sure your shielding and grounding is correct.

                              Also, try another computer.

                              Cheers,
                              Leonard Knoll

                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                                I already downloaded it and will install it after dinner. The sky is clear tonight so I'll be able to test it right away.

                                ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                                  Thanks for the input but I've been using this camera for over 2 years now. The observatory is less than 1 year old. This camera has always had this problem with MANY different mobile and semi-permanent set-ups. About the only thing that hasn't changed since I began using the camera is the USB hub and the laptop. Today I bypassed the hub with no change. That leaves the laptop and the camera itself as suspect. I kinda doubt it's the laptop. It's been solid as a rock for years now. I did update the SBIG camera drivers today though. The old drivers were over a year old and some folks have said that there have been major improvements with the new drivers. Maybe that will make a difference. The sky is clear tonight so I'll be out there!

                                  ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                                    Leonard:

                                    The "grounding" issue leaves me totally confused. If some of the equiptment operates off house current, some of it operates off 12 v battery, etc,
                                    what is "ground"? the house current is returned eventually to earth ground; the battery current is returned to the neg. term. on the battery -- and therefore floats wih respect to earth ground... and I may eventually buy a little generator to power everything, and its ground _must_ be returned to earth ground.... aarrgh! How do you untangle all these things? oh, and what is a "ground loop"?

                                    Ward Mathis

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
                                      In order to help you on this problem,
                                      I conducted a number of test today:
                                      I took a series of 20 dark frame on a ST8E parallel port
                                      on a compaq presario. I got some random noise but the amplitude
                                      was fairly the same on 5 dark frames. say average noise is 120.
                                      I got peak at 320.
                                      I then conducted similar test with my st10xme using ubs interface.
                                      I then got peak at 1300 wich is 10fold that of the st8e.
                                      all this has been done at -10C.
                                      Any other st8E or st10xme with the same results?
                                      p.s. My st8 has just been overhaul a month ago at sbig where they
                                      replaced the interface board.
                                      Hope this help.
                                      Robert

                                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Photon Collector"
                                      <photoncollector@...> wrote:

                                      > People, I'm at wit's end.
                                      > I have been imaging with my ST2k imager for a couple years now. I
                                      have always had big problems with random hot (or bright) pixels. My
                                      images and darks have the usual consistent hot pixels that subtract
                                      out as they should. But both the images and the darks also have a
                                      large quantity of random hot pixels that differ from image to image
                                      and dark to dark. These random hot pixels do not subtract out
                                      because they pop up at random throughout the images and darks. The
                                      result is an image with many bright and dark pixels. Bright pixels
                                      remain in the image because the dark frame doesn't contain a
                                      corresponding bright pixel to subtract out. Dark pixels appear in
                                      the reduced image because the dark frame has bright pixels where
                                      there are none on the image.
                                      > To prove to myself that the problem is real, I subtracted one dark
                                      frame from another dark frame shot in sequence. The resultant image
                                      should be very smooth. Instead it has bright and dark pixels, just
                                      like my images. As another test, I shot 10 darks in a row, of course
                                      all with the same temp and time settings. Then I opened them up in
                                      both Maxim and CCDSoft and ran a blink comparison. During the blink
                                      comparison, you can see that about 1/2 of the hot pixels are fixed
                                      in their position while the rest jump around all over the image. The
                                      same is true when doing a blink comparison of a series of raw images
                                      shot in sequence.
                                      > I even went as far as upgrading my imaging chip from the older
                                      2001 chip to the new and (supposedly) less noisy 2020 chip at great
                                      cost to me. The results are exactly the same.
                                      > Here is an example of a completed image:
                                      http://publicmissiles.com/franku/2020_-25_f55_processed_NGC_7331.jpg
                                      > It is a combination of 8, 20 minute exposures median combined
                                      after reduction using 10 median combined dark frames and the
                                      appropriate flat fields.
                                      > If someone out there has a broadband connection (12 meg file!) and
                                      is willing to help, I have up-loaded a zip file containing a raw
                                      image, a flat field, and 3 dark frames. Try processing the image
                                      with the data I provided to see if you can get a clean image......I
                                      sure can't. Here is the zip file with everything you need:
                                      http://publicmissiles.com/franku/Raw_stuff.zip
                                      > In the past I would spend an hour or two with the clone tool
                                      cleaning up every bad pixel. But I just can't believe this is what
                                      everyone else goes through. I never hear about problems similar to
                                      what I'm having. I hope it's just something I'm doing wrong but I
                                      can't imagine what it is. Is it possible that something in the
                                      observatory environment is causing the random hot pixels?

                                      > ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

                                    • L.Knoll
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
                                        Hi Ward:

                                        There are web resources and many, many, many books, at all levels of complexity on 'grounding' in electrical systems. It's a whole world onto itself in electrical engineering. This is actually not a trivial topic whatsoever so rather than blather on about it (since it's only indirectly on topic in this group) I'll send you a separate email. Electrical design engineers put a significant amount of effort into grounding and signal isolation so that we don't have to be overly concerned when we hook up all our astronomy (or stereo, or whatever) products.

                                        An electrical current 'loop' (it may be in a 'ground' or other conductor) is formed when one current is split between two paths which of course converge at each end (thus making a 'loop'). One common way for this to happen is when a shielded cable is plugged into something and its shield acts as an additional path for some object's ground current to flow though, usually somewhere where you don't want it to flow. That current can modulate or cause voltage gradients in the grounds of other circuits or radiate energy into them. For instance, if a portion of some intrument's return current (possibly with switching transients) somehow managed to flow through the shield of a camera USB cable, that might cause random image signal transmission noise problems.

                                        There, I stayed on topic. :)

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
                                          > Leonard:
                                          >
                                          > The "grounding" issue leaves me totally confused. If some of the
                                          > equiptment operates off house current, some of it operates off 12 v
                                          > battery, etc, what is "ground"? the house current is returned
                                          > eventually to earth ground; the battery current is returned to the
                                          > neg. term. on the battery -- and therefore floats wih respect to earth
                                          > ground... and I may eventually buy a little generator to power
                                          > everything,
                                          > and its ground _must_ be returned to earth ground.... aarrgh! How do
                                          > you untangle all these things? oh, and what is a "ground loop"?
                                          > <snipped>
                                          'Ground', has two distinct meanings. Generically, the 'ground' in a
                                          circuit, is the point which voltages are referenced to. This is often
                                          connected to 'ground' (the local 'mains' safety/reference).
                                          So you can have a 'ground point', in a completely isolated circuit, and
                                          this still makes sense (I tend to tell people to seperate the concept of
                                          'ground', from 'earth', and also to use a distinctive term to make the
                                          segregation obvious - so an isolated part of a circuit, might have it's
                                          'ground', called 'ISGND' - isolated signal ground).
                                          In your case, the 12v battery 0v terminal, is the 'system ground' for this
                                          part of the unit.
                                          The big problem, is when there are multiple different 'ground paths'. If
                                          (for instance), you have a signal cable betwen two parts of a system, and
                                          both the 'parts', have their own 'grounds', and then these are linked by
                                          the cable, what happens?. The answer depends on the resistances involved in
                                          the cables, the resistance between the 'grounds', and the actual current
                                          involved. If (as is commonly the case...), the 'grounds' have slightly
                                          different voltages present ('earth', is not a perfect conductor...), the
                                          current, finds the lowest resistance path through the cable between the
                                          units, and current will be flowing through the cable as a result of having
                                          the two distinct 'ground' points. This voltage can result in unwanted
                                          signals being generated. This is why if you look at the circuits for
                                          systems that are likely to have problems from this (audio/video systems in
                                          particular), you will see local ground reference areas (usually 'planes' on
                                          the PCB for example), with just one ground path back to the main reference
                                          point, usually using a 'star' shaped ground layout (you want to avoid
                                          'tree' type ground layouts, since the current flows then encourage voltage
                                          differences to exist along the tree branches...). You will also see in the
                                          same systems, the cable 'shield', commonly connected at only one end of
                                          each connection.

                                          Best Wishes
                                        • W. W. Mathis
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
                                            Frank: I've been thinking about your problem. I can see that a chip might have something wrong with a pixel that would give a "hot" pixel. But this hot pixel will be hot from now until doomsday, since it is an inherent defect in the chip. Random pixels that pop up hot in one photo and then don't in another photo can _only_ be due to random noise. So it seems to me that you should be looking for electrical problems that make the transmission "noisy". Poor connections, bad grounding, cross talk between wires, etc.
                                            . The computer will not accept info until it is ready to deal with it, so one program "Locking" another program out of memory really can't happen.

                                            Ward Mathis

                                            > I have been imaging with my ST2k imager for a couple years now. I have
                                            > always had big problems with random hot (or bright) pixels. My images and
                                            > darks have the usual consistent hot pixels that subtract out as they
                                            > should. But both the images and the darks also have a large quantity of
                                            > random hot pixels that differ from image to image and dark to dark. These
                                            > random hot pixels do not subtract out because they pop up at random
                                            > throughout the images and darks. The result is an image with many bright
                                            > and dark pixels. Bright pixels remain in the image because the dark frame
                                            > doesn't contain a corresponding bright pixel to subtract out. Dark pixels
                                            > appear in the reduced image because the dark frame has bright pixels where
                                            > there are none on the image.
                                            > To prove to myself that the problem is real, I subtracted one dark frame
                                            > from another dark frame shot in sequence. The resultant image should be
                                            > very smooth. Instead it has bright and dark pixels, just like my images.
                                            > As another test, I shot 10 darks in a row, of course all with the same
                                            > temp and time settings. Then I opened them up in both Maxim and CCDSoft
                                            > and ran a blink comparison. During the blink comparison, you can see that
                                            > about 1/2 of the hot pixels are fixed in their position while the rest
                                            > jump around all over the image. The same is true when doing a blink
                                            > comparison of a series of raw images shot in sequence.
                                            > I even went as far as upgrading my imaging chip from the older 2001 chip
                                            > to the new and (supposedly) less noisy 2020 chip at great cost to me. The
                                            > results are exactly the same.
                                            > Here is an example of a completed image:
                                            > http://publicmissiles.com/franku/2020_-25_f55_processed_NGC_7331.jpg
                                            > It is a combination of 8, 20 minute exposures median combined after
                                            > reduction using 10 median combined dark frames and the appropriate flat
                                            > fields.
                                            > If someone out there has a broadband connection (12 meg file!) and is
                                            > willing to help, I have up-loaded a zip file containing a raw image, a
                                            > flat field, and 3 dark frames. Try processing the image with the data I
                                            > provided to see if you can get a clean image......I sure can't. Here is
                                            > the zip file with everything you need:
                                            > http://publicmissiles.com/franku/Raw_stuff.zip
                                            > In the past I would spend an hour or two with the clone tool cleaning up
                                            > every bad pixel. But I just can't believe this is what everyone else goes
                                            > through. I never hear about problems similar to what I'm having. I hope
                                            > it's just something I'm doing wrong but I can't imagine what it is. Is it
                                            > possible that something in the observatory environment is causing the
                                            > random hot pixels?
                                            >

                                            > ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

                                          • W. W. Mathis

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                                                That's not how CCD sensors actually work in the real world. Yes, you can
                                                have pixels that are routinely and regularly hot or cold. But you can
                                                also have pixels that vary in how hot or cold they are. Your statement:

                                                "Random pixels that pop up hot in one photo and then don't in another
                                                photo can _only_ be due to random noise."

                                                is just not true, and I want to correct the error before others start
                                                assuming it is true. What is true is that the manufacturer must tune the
                                                electronics for the camera to make sure that these variations are
                                                minimized. The STL-11000 camera, for example, had a notorious problem
                                                with these hot pixels until SBIG changed the camera driver to deal with
                                                the problem. Even so, there is still a small population of these varying
                                                pixels on most STL-11000 cameras, but the count is WAY down to a
                                                reasonable number.

                                                Such pixels are also going to occur on the ST-2000 series of cameras -
                                                they seem to be harder to control in a certain generation of Kodak ABG
                                                chips, but the camera drivers have all been revised to minimize this issue.

                                                This isn't to say that there aren't other causes of random hot pixels,
                                                and varying populations of hot pixels (such as the ones you cite). I
                                                just want to be clear that there can be conditions other than readout
                                                noise that determine this.

                                                Ron

                                                New Astronomy Press
                                                http://www.newastro.com
                                              • W. W. Mathis
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                                                  Ron: Thanks for setting that straight. I had forgetten that the signal from the pixel had to be digitized, and the signal (digital) that came across the wireing was a true reflection of the value of the pixel; and any corruption of this value would, of course, be due to noise. However this is an oversimplification of what goes on: the problem is with the analog signal that is given to digitizer. I was assuming that the analog signal was a reflection of how much light had fallen on the sensor. What you are saying is that this is not always the case.

                                                  I hope I didn't lead anyone astray. DON'T LISTEN TO ME, LISTEN TO RON-- HE IS THE EXPERT!

                                                  I have a question: why are the camera makers so uhhh "cagey" about the number of bad pixels on a chip: time after time I read "The rows of pixels contain no errors". This implys to me that the columns also contain no errors. Yet they are very careful not to say that. Do you know why?

                                                  Regards, Ward

                                                  W. W. Mathis wrote:
                                                  > Frank: I've been thinking about your problem. I can see that a chip might have something wrong with a pixel that would give a "hot" pixel. But this hot pixel will be hot from now until doomsday, since it is an inherent defect in the chip. Random pixels that pop up hot in one photo and then don't in another photo can _only_ be due to random noise. So it seems to me that you should be looking for electrical problems that make the transmission "noisy". Poor connections, bad grounding, cross talk between wires, etc.
                                                  > . The computer will not accept info until it is ready to deal with it, so one program "Locking" another program out of memory really can't happen.
                                                  >
                                                  > Ward Mathis

                                                  New Astronomy Press
                                                  http://www.newastro.com

                                                • Wodaski - Yahoo
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                                                    That's correct - the chip/electronics can be responsible for hot pixels.
                                                    The camera designers try to optimize the camera electronics to minimize
                                                    this.

                                                    I hadn't seen the language you mention.

                                                    Ron

                                                    New Astronomy Press