Western Veil

  • billkny
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
      Hello all, I'm somewhat reluctant to post this after several other
      very nice images of this target that have been recently posted but
      here's my best attempt.
      http://www.pbase.com/billkny/image/66163576
      It has been a very troublesome image for me to process. Mainly due
      to the vast number of stars in the background. Selecting stars and
      using a minium filter has helped but introduces some artifacts that
      I have trouble dealing with, they appear as spiderweb like around
      the stars that are left. Images acquired, Bias calibrated, combined
      with Sigma Clip in Maxim DL. Then off to PSCS for levels and curves
      and lots of other attempted enhancement. I know the lower end of the
      histo is clipped pretty bad but it was the only way I could get the
      background decent at all.
      If anyone would like to take a try the stacked fit is here
      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/billkny
      In the Astronomy folder.
      Inmage taken with a SXVF H9C, Tak FS60C at 298mm 4.45 arcsec/pix,on
      EM200 T2 guided with a SXV guider an a Borg Mini45.
      Any tips greatly appreciated.
      Thanks, Bill
    • Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D.
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
        Bill, it is a very nice image. You are way ahead of me.

        It is a very nice image.

        Terry
        On Sep 3, 2006, at 12:36 PM, billkny wrote:

        > Hello all, I'm somewhat reluctant to post this after several other
        > very nice images of this target that have been recently posted but
        > here's my best attempt.
        > http://www.pbase.com/billkny/image/66163576
        > It has been a very troublesome image for me to process. Mainly due
        > to the vast number of stars in the background. Selecting stars and
        > using a minium filter has helped but introduces some artifacts that
        > I have trouble dealing with, they appear as spiderweb like around
        > the stars that are left. Images acquired, Bias calibrated, combined
        > with Sigma Clip in Maxim DL. Then off to PSCS for levels and curves
        > and lots of other attempted enhancement. I know the lower end of the
        > histo is clipped pretty bad but it was the only way I could get the
        > background decent at all.
        > If anyone would like to take a try the stacked fit is here
        > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/billkny
        > In the Astronomy folder.
        > Inmage taken with a SXVF H9C, Tak FS60C at 298mm 4.45 arcsec/pix,on
        > EM200 T2 guided with a SXV guider an a Borg Mini45.
        > Any tips greatly appreciated.
        > Thanks, Bill

      • billkny
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
          Thanks Terry,
          You are really being very kind.
          bill

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D."
          <tredding@...> wrote:

          > Bill, it is a very nice image. You are way ahead of me.
          >
          > It is a very nice image.
          >
          > Terry
          > On Sep 3, 2006, at 12:36 PM, billkny wrote:
          >
          > > Hello all, I'm somewhat reluctant to post this after several
          other
          > > very nice images of this target that have been recently posted
          but
          > > here's my best attempt.
          > > http://www.pbase.com/billkny/image/66163576
          > > It has been a very troublesome image for me to process. Mainly
          due
          > > to the vast number of stars in the background. Selecting stars
          and
          > > using a minium filter has helped but introduces some artifacts
          that
          > > I have trouble dealing with, they appear as spiderweb like around
          > > the stars that are left. Images acquired, Bias calibrated,
          combined
          > > with Sigma Clip in Maxim DL. Then off to PSCS for levels and
          curves
          > > and lots of other attempted enhancement. I know the lower end of
          the
          > > histo is clipped pretty bad but it was the only way I could get
          the
          > > background decent at all.
          > > If anyone would like to take a try the stacked fit is here
          > > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/billkny
          > > In the Astronomy folder.
          > > Inmage taken with a SXVF H9C, Tak FS60C at 298mm 4.45
          arcsec/pix,on
          > > EM200 T2 guided with a SXV guider an a Borg Mini45.
          > > Any tips greatly appreciated.
          > > Thanks, Bill

        • Bud
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
            Nicely done, Bill.

            bud

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "billkny" <billkny@...> wrote:

            > Hello all, I'm somewhat reluctant to post this after several other
            > very nice images of this target that have been recently posted but
            > here's my best attempt.
            > http://www.pbase.com/billkny/image/66163576
            > It has been a very troublesome image for me to process. Mainly due
            > to the vast number of stars in the background. Selecting stars and
            > using a minium filter has helped but introduces some artifacts that
            > I have trouble dealing with, they appear as spiderweb like around
            > the stars that are left. Images acquired, Bias calibrated, combined
            > with Sigma Clip in Maxim DL. Then off to PSCS for levels and curves
            > and lots of other attempted enhancement. I know the lower end of the
            > histo is clipped pretty bad but it was the only way I could get the
            > background decent at all.
            > If anyone would like to take a try the stacked fit is here
            > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/billkny
            > In the Astronomy folder.
            > Inmage taken with a SXVF H9C, Tak FS60C at 298mm 4.45 arcsec/pix,on
            > EM200 T2 guided with a SXV guider an a Borg Mini45.
            > Any tips greatly appreciated.
            > Thanks, Bill

          • Randy Nulman
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
              I second that...colors look great!

              Randy Nulman
              http://www.nulman.darkhorizons.org

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bud" <budguinn@...> wrote:

              > Nicely done, Bill.
              >
              > bud
              >

              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "billkny" <billkny@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello all, I'm somewhat reluctant to post this after several
              other
              > > very nice images of this target that have been recently posted
              but
              > > here's my best attempt.
              > > http://www.pbase.com/billkny/image/66163576
              > > It has been a very troublesome image for me to process. Mainly
              due
              > > to the vast number of stars in the background. Selecting stars
              and
              > > using a minium filter has helped but introduces some artifacts
              that
              > > I have trouble dealing with, they appear as spiderweb like
              around
              > > the stars that are left. Images acquired, Bias calibrated,
              combined
              > > with Sigma Clip in Maxim DL. Then off to PSCS for levels and
              curves
              > > and lots of other attempted enhancement. I know the lower end of
              the
              > > histo is clipped pretty bad but it was the only way I could get
              the
              > > background decent at all.
              > > If anyone would like to take a try the stacked fit is here
              > > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/billkny
              > > In the Astronomy folder.
              > > Inmage taken with a SXVF H9C, Tak FS60C at 298mm 4.45
              arcsec/pix,on
              > > EM200 T2 guided with a SXV guider an a Borg Mini45.
              > > Any tips greatly appreciated.
              > > Thanks, Bill

            • Tom Gwilym
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                Nice one Bill!
                I've been working with learning MaxDSLR software on the other side of
                that nebula. If you are used to other software such as ImagesPlus,
                Maxim is sure a change to get used to!
                I seem to get a lot more red with this software than blue, but I know
                I just have something screwed up that I need to work on. It's a whole
                new learning curve, but it's been fun and challenging. I do have
                Ron's books also which are a great help with the processing, and I'm
                learning new tricks all the time. Anyway, here is my effort:
                http://eastsideastro.org/observatory/nebulas/Veil-west-8x.jpg

                Tom
                Renton, WA

                > Hello all, I'm somewhat reluctant to post this after several other
                > very nice images of this target that have been recently posted but
                > here's my best attempt.
                > http://www.pbase.com/billkny/image/66163576
                > It has been a very troublesome image for me to process. Mainly due
                > to the vast number of stars in the background. Selecting stars and
                > using a minium filter has helped but introduces some artifacts that
                > I have trouble dealing with, they appear as spiderweb like around
                > the stars that are left. Images acquired, Bias calibrated, combined
                > with Sigma Clip in Maxim DL. Then off to PSCS for levels and curves
                > and lots of other attempted enhancement. I know the lower end of the
                > histo is clipped pretty bad but it was the only way I could get the
                > background decent at all.
                > If anyone would like to take a try the stacked fit is here
                > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/billkny
                > In the Astronomy folder.
                > Inmage taken with a SXVF H9C, Tak FS60C at 298mm 4.45 arcsec/pix,on
                > EM200 T2 guided with a SXV guider an a Borg Mini45.
                > Any tips greatly appreciated.
                > Thanks, Bill

              • billkny
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Hi Tom, and thanks for the kind words. I reposted the image and like
                  it better now, should have left them both for comparison. The red
                  has been really strong and I found that if I go to channels, select
                  the red and apply the miniumn filter from there and then feather it
                  50% it helps
                  http://www.pbase.com/billkny/image/66315590
                  Learning a new camera or software keeps it interesting.
                  Bill

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gwilym" <tegwilym@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Nice one Bill!
                  > I've been working with learning MaxDSLR software on the other side
                  of
                  > that nebula. If you are used to other software such as ImagesPlus,
                  > Maxim is sure a change to get used to!
                  > I seem to get a lot more red with this software than blue, but I
                  know
                  > I just have something screwed up that I need to work on. It's a
                  whole
                  > new learning curve, but it's been fun and challenging. I do have
                  > Ron's books also which are a great help with the processing, and
                  I'm
                  > learning new tricks all the time. Anyway, here is my effort:
                  > http://eastsideastro.org/observatory/nebulas/Veil-west-8x.jpg
                  >
                  > Tom
                  > Renton, WA
                  >

                  > > Hello all, I'm somewhat reluctant to post this after several
                  other
                  > > very nice images of this target that have been recently posted
                  but
                  > > here's my best attempt.
                  > > http://www.pbase.com/billkny/image/66163576
                  > > It has been a very troublesome image for me to process. Mainly
                  due
                  > > to the vast number of stars in the background. Selecting stars
                  and
                  > > using a minium filter has helped but introduces some artifacts
                  that
                  > > I have trouble dealing with, they appear as spiderweb like
                  around
                  > > the stars that are left. Images acquired, Bias calibrated,
                  combined
                  > > with Sigma Clip in Maxim DL. Then off to PSCS for levels and
                  curves
                  > > and lots of other attempted enhancement. I know the lower end of
                  the
                  > > histo is clipped pretty bad but it was the only way I could get
                  the
                  > > background decent at all.
                  > > If anyone would like to take a try the stacked fit is here
                  > > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/billkny
                  > > In the Astronomy folder.
                  > > Inmage taken with a SXVF H9C, Tak FS60C at 298mm 4.45
                  arcsec/pix,on
                  > > EM200 T2 guided with a SXV guider an a Borg Mini45.
                  > > Any tips greatly appreciated.
                  > > Thanks, Bill

                • Tom Gwilym
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                    I can't resist trying out other people's data when I get the chance.
                    I downloaded your stacked Veil and gave it a try. Here is what I came
                    up with:
                    http://www.eastsideastro.org/observatory/temp/Bills_Veil.jpg

                    I'm no expert on processing myself yet, in fact, I always mess up
                    colors! You seem to have some really, nice clean data in that shot.
                    I used Photoshop levels/curves several times to bring out the veil
                    (Ron Wodaski's method in his book), played with Noel Carboni's
                    Astronomy tools ("brighten DSO, dim stars". "Make stars smaller", and
                    some other tweaks)
                    What kind of camera are you using?
                    Looks like you have some dark skies also, I didn't have to remove any
                    gradient from that image either. :-)

                    Tom
                    www.eastsideatro.org/obsevatory

                  • billkny
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                      Thanks Tom, I am using a SXVF H9C camera. FS60C and the IDAS LPS. My
                      skies are fairly dark and i was using just the Baader UV/IR but the
                      LPS seems to help.
                      Maybe I'm being to picky but when I zoom in I see a lot of stars
                      that have little "Tails" I think theese are introduced when I use the
                      Minimum filter trying to clean up the background. This area has soooo
                      many stars in it. Some of the other images I've seen of this area
                      seem to look cleaner, like some of the dimmer stars were eliminated
                      with another method. Guess I better open up "The Zone" and read some
                      more. Thanks again for producing a better image than I could.

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Nice one Bill!
                      > > > I've been working with learning MaxDSLR software on the other
                      side
                      > > of
                      > > > that nebula. If you are used to other software such as
                      ImagesPlus,
                      > > > Maxim is sure a change to get used to!
                      > > > I seem to get a lot more red with this software than blue, but
                      > > know
                      > > > I just have something screwed up that I need to work on. It's
                      > > whole
                      > > > new learning curve, but it's been fun and challenging. I do
                      have
                      > > > Ron's books also which are a great help with the processing,
                      and
                      > > I'm
                      > > > learning new tricks all the time. Anyway, here is my effort:

                    • Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                        Interesting.

                        I would like to try this. How do I get a stack of images to try?

                        Terry

                      • billkny
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                          Thanks Tom and Hello Terry,
                          I posted to this earlier but Yahoo must have lost it. The
                          stacked .fit is here http://briefcase.yahoo.com/billkny Check the
                          astronomy folder.
                          Tom, while stretching this did you encounter an abundance of stars
                          that muddled the background?

                          <tredding@...> wrote:

                          > Interesting.
                          >
                          > I would like to try this. How do I get a stack of images to try?
                          >
                          > Terry
                          >
                          > On Sep 6, 2006, at 1:04 AM, Tom Gwilym wrote:
                          >
                          > > I can't resist trying out other people's data when I get the
                          chance.
                          > > I downloaded your stacked Veil and gave it a try. Here is what I
                          came
                          > > up with:
                          > > http://www.eastsideastro.org/observatory/temp/Bills_Veil.jpg
                          > >
                          > > I'm no expert on processing myself yet, in fact, I always mess up
                          > > colors! You seem to have some really, nice clean data in that
                          shot.
                          > > I used Photoshop levels/curves several times to bring out the
                          veil
                          > > (Ron Wodaski's method in his book), played with Noel Carboni's
                          > > Astronomy tools ("brighten DSO, dim stars". "Make stars
                          smaller", and
                          > > some other tweaks)
                          > > What kind of camera are you using?
                          > > Looks like you have some dark skies also, I didn't have to
                          remove any
                          > > gradient from that image either. :-)
                          > >
                          > > Tom
                          > > www.eastsideatro.org/obsevatory
                          > >
                          > > > Hi Tom, and thanks for the kind words. I reposted the image
                          and like
                          > > > it better now, should have left them both for comparison. The
                          red
                          > > > has been really strong and I found that if I go to channels,
                          select
                          > > > the red and apply the miniumn filter from there and then
                          feather it
                          > > > 50% it helps
                          > > > http://www.pbase.com/billkny/image/66315590
                          > > > Learning a new camera or software keeps it interesting.
                          > > > Bill
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gwilym" <tegwilym@>

                          > > > of
                          ImagesPlus,
                          > > > know
                          It's a
                          > > > whole
                          > > > I'm

                          > > > other
                          > > > but
                          Mainly
                          > > > due
                          > > > and
                          > > > that
                          > > > around
                          > > > combined
                          > > > curves
                          > > > the
                          > > > the
                          > > > arcsec/pix,on

                        • Tom Gwilym
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 8, 2006
                            Bill,
                            I did find a lot of stars in the background, but I think I was able to
                            minimize them with a combination of Noel Carboni's tools and Gradient
                            Exterminator.
                            Definately not as many messy stars as I had to deal with in my version!

                            Tom

                          • Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
                              Thanks, I just grabbed them.

                              Terry

                              On Sep 6, 2006, at 8:40 PM, billkny wrote:

                              > Thanks Tom and Hello Terry,
                              > I posted to this earlier but Yahoo must have lost it. The
                              > stacked .fit is here http://briefcase.yahoo.com/billkny Check the
                              > astronomy folder.
                              > Tom, while stretching this did you encounter an abundance of stars
                              > that muddled the background?
                              > Bill
                              >
                              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D."
                              > <tredding@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Interesting.
                              > >
                              > > I would like to try this. How do I get a stack of images to try?
                              > >
                              > > Terry
                              >> .

                            • billkny
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 10, 2006
                                Terry and Tom, if your still in the mood to play I added a HA shot
                                to the briefcase. It's 10 min X 12 so probably a little weak. This
                                is my first try at using Lum so I'm struggling.

                                <tredding@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks, I just grabbed them.
                                >
                                > Terry
                                >
                                > On Sep 6, 2006, at 8:40 PM, billkny wrote:
                                >
                                > > Thanks Tom and Hello Terry,
                                > > I posted to this earlier but Yahoo must have lost it. The
                                > > stacked .fit is here http://briefcase.yahoo.com/billkny Check the
                                > > astronomy folder.
                                > > Tom, while stretching this did you encounter an abundance of
                                stars
                                > > that muddled the background?
                                > > Bill
                                > >
                                > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D."
                                > > <tredding@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Interesting.
                                > > >
                                > > > I would like to try this. How do I get a stack of images to
                                try?

                                > > > Terry
                                > >> .

                              • Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D.
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 10, 2006
                                  Okay, I grabbed them. I will try to get some time this week to
                                  process them. It will be my absolute first attempt.

                                  Terry