Dealing with dew?

  • brian_clever
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hello all. I know many people use dew heaters and such to keep their
      scopes free of dew while observing but I was wondering last night about
      appropriate solutions for imagers. Can anyone give some tips?

      Regards,
      Brian
    • Mike Dodd
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
        > Hello all. I know many people use dew heaters and such to keep their
        > scopes free of dew while observing but I was wondering last night about
        > appropriate solutions for imagers. Can anyone give some tips?

        I made a dew shield from foil-covered plastic bubble wrap insulation
        available from home-improvement stores.

        Take a look at the Observatories page on my Web site and scroll down to
        the Dew Shield section (about 65% down) for a description and photo.

        Mike Dodd
        Montpelier, VA (37 49'N, 77 42'W)
        Celestron CGE 9.25", SBIG ST-8XM
        http://astronomy.mdodd.com
      • Bert Katzung
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
          Hi Brian:
          Anybody trying to image with refractors in high humidity locations _has_ to
          use dew heaters. I use the Kendrick system but others (eg, DewZapper) and
          home-made devices work fine. It takes a while to find the right minimum
          level of warming to keep the dew off while not causing air currents, but
          that's a case-by-case trial and error process.
          Reflectors are somewhat more immune to the problem, so a long dew shield may
          do the job. However, even with a dew shield, in my location I can count on
          the secondary dewing up pretty fast most nights, so I heat the secondary.
          Bert

          katzung1@...
          www.astronomy-images.com
          www.visionlightgallery.com/katzung/

          > Hello all. I know many people use dew heaters and such to keep their
          > scopes free of dew while observing but I was wondering last night about
          > appropriate solutions for imagers. Can anyone give some tips?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Brian
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Neil Fleming
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
            I use the DewBuster controller with DewNot strips.

            ...Neil

            --- brian_clever <brian_clever@...> wrote:

            > Hello all. I know many people use dew heaters and
            > such to keep their
            > scopes free of dew while observing but I was
            > wondering last night about
            > appropriate solutions for imagers. Can anyone give
            > some tips?
            >
            > Regards,
            > Brian

          • Wodaski - Yahoo
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
              That's not completely true. Careful planning and a properly sized
              insulated dew heater will get you through the night even with very high
              humidity. I dealt with this in Seattle, where it was so humid that we
              would often get fog by the wee hours. My experience has been that dew
              heaters create aberrations with 5" and 6" refractors, and I will do
              anything to avoid having to use one.

              Moving air can be effective with secondaries. A fan blowing on the
              secondary will do an amazing amount to reduce or eliminate dew. Until I
              discovered this, non-heat methods of dealing with the secondary were not
              working for me.

              Ron Wodaski

              Bert Katzung wrote:
              > Hi Brian:
              > Anybody trying to image with refractors in high humidity locations _has_ to
              > use dew heaters. I use the Kendrick system but others (eg, DewZapper) and
              > home-made devices work fine. It takes a while to find the right minimum
              > level of warming to keep the dew off while not causing air currents, but
              > that's a case-by-case trial and error process.
              > Reflectors are somewhat more immune to the problem, so a long dew shield may
              > do the job. However, even with a dew shield, in my location I can count on
              > the secondary dewing up pretty fast most nights, so I heat the secondary.
              > Bert
              >
              > katzung1@...
              > www.astronomy-images.com
              > www.visionlightgallery.com/katzung/

              New Astronomy Press
              http://www.newastro.com
            • brian_clever
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2006
                Thanks for all the very useful suggestions everybody!

                Regards,
                Brian

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "brian_clever" <brian_clever@...>