Re: Is a backyard observatory worth it?

  • carl_creamer_2000
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Gordon:
      You have a very interesting and ingenious set-up.
      Can you supply any details on the observatory building itself(not the
      latice work)?
      Like plans, did you make or buy or anything else that describes the
      details of the building.
      Thanks

      Carl

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mandellgl" <gmandell@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > considering
      > > an observatory just to avoid the hassles of setting up and
      tearing
      > down
      > > - even if your setup isn't as heavy as mine was.
      > >
      > > In your case, a roll-off observatory would probably work well
      with
      > the
      > > HOA rules. It can be made to look quite ordinary and need not be
      > very large.
      > >
      > > Ten years is a lot of setting up and taking down.
      > >
      > > Ron Wodaski
      > >
      > > eja24601 wrote:
      > > > Greetings all,
      > > >
      > > > We had an unusual spell of five clear nights a row where we
      live.
      > > > Over those five nights, I only managed to go out imaging over
      one
      > of
      > > > those nights. Since it was a weeknight, I was not out very late.
      > > >
      > > > I set up and tear down each session, which is one of the
      various
      > > > reasons why I'm not out shooting every clear night.
      > > >
      > > > My wife has given the green light for us to at least explore
      the
      > > > possibility of building us a backyard observatory. The biggest
      > > > advantage this would give would be that on nights like last
      week
      > > > can pretty much just open the roof and start shooting.
      > > >
      > > > There are a lot of challenges in the way of this becoming a
      > reality
      > > > for us (HOA rules, though I believe they have been amended to
      > allow
      > > > an external building within certain guidelines, etc.). One that
      > I'm
      > > > somewhat concerned about is light pollution.
      > > >
      > > > We don't exactly live in a dark area (typical suburban skies).
      > I've
      > > > seen a trend towards most imagers giving up on shooting from
      > their
      > > > backyards and either driving to or setting up observatories in
      > dark
      > > > sites. While I see us eventually doing this ourselves, neither
      my
      > > > wife nor I see this happening for at least ten years
      (unexpected
      > > > major life events allowing).
      > > >
      > > > So my question is, would this be worth doing anyway? I'm doing
      > lot
      > > > of narrow-band work this time of year, so for the most part
      it's
      > > > less affected by LP. I want to do hi-res work during galaxy
      > season
      > > > as well, and the narrower FOV's offered by that should address
      at
      > > > least some of the LP issues. My wife and I would also
      eventually
      > > > want to do some "real science" with our setup, e.g., photometry
      > > > and "visitor-hunting" (comets, asteroids, supernovas, etc.).
      > > >
      > > > Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Any and all would be

    • Randy Nulman
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
        Gordon,
        That's a very impressive setup! I can't see any way that a HOA
        would have a problem with something done as nicely as this...

        Randy Nulman
        http://www.nulman.darkhorizons.org

        wrote:

> [...]
        my
        > > > wife nor I see this happening for at least ten years
        (unexpected
        > > > major life events allowing).
        > > >
        > > > So my question is, would this be worth doing anyway? I'm doing
        > lot
        > > > of narrow-band work this time of year, so for the most part
        it's
        > > > less affected by LP. I want to do hi-res work during galaxy
        > season
        > > > as well, and the narrower FOV's offered by that should address
        at
        > > > least some of the LP issues. My wife and I would also
        eventually
        > > > want to do some "real science" with our setup, e.g.,
        photometry
        > > > and "visitor-hunting" (comets, asteroids, supernovas, etc.).
        > > >
        > > > Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Any and all would be

      • mandellgl
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
          Hi Carl:

          The roll-off roof observatory is called a Tele-Station and is
          available from Pier-Tech. Check out the following web page. It
          shows my observatory before the lattice wall was constructed.

          http://www.pier-tech.com/tele-station_2_roll_off_roof_observatory.htm

          Other than a few minor modifications, its the same as in the
          pictures on the web site. It is 2 years old and has worked great
          for me. In addition to the Tele-Station, I have a Pier-Tech
          adjustable pier that allows me to view the horizon easily.

          Gordon

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "carl_creamer_2000"
          <carl_creamer_2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
          in
          > my
          > > > front yard for three years (!!!), and now has an observatory,
          > can
          > > say
          > > > that I vastly prefer the observatory. <G>
          > > >
          > > > I would go so far as to say if you image at all, it's worth
          > > considering
          > > > an observatory just to avoid the hassles of setting up and
          > tearing
          > > down
          > > > - even if your setup isn't as heavy as mine was.
          > > >
          > > > In your case, a roll-off observatory would probably work well
          > with
          > > the
          > > > HOA rules. It can be made to look quite ordinary and need not
          be
          > > very large.
          > > >
          > > > Ten years is a lot of setting up and taking down.

        • mandellgl
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
            Hi Randy:

            Honestly, I thought it looked good without the wooden lattice but the
            only way that it was going to be approved was to put an acceptable
            enclosure around it. In addition, I had to agree that it would be
            removed if I leave and that there were no objections from the
            neighbors. Fortunately I have an understanding wife and nice
            neighbors.

            Gordon

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Nulman" <rj.nulman@...>