Re: Quick question about Ted Agos AO-7 Short Tube Adapter

  • dannysperry
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2006
      Bill: I don't think manually moving the mirror forward a few inches
      is an option since this is a Meade LX200 SCT, as mentioned in the
      original post.

      Gary: The good news is that at f/4 or so you should be able to use
      the scope's PEC and an autoguider to get very good results. It's
      tough setting aside the AO-7 once you've used it, I know! Even
      without autoguiding, using the scope's PEC you might be able to get
      occasional images of 1-2 minutes before a tracking hiccup shows up. -
      - I know, not the most encouraging news... you might try talking to
      Mark de Regt. He made his LX200 work wonders at f/4 for quite some
      time before moving to an RCX scope.

      Best,
      Danny
      http://www.californiastars.net/

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Logan" <wb9sat@...> wrote:

      > Gary,
      > You can shorten the focal length by moving the main mirror forward
      a few
      > inches. You didn't mention the manufacturer of the reflector, but
      if it's
      > like my Meade 16" StarFinder, look to see if there isn't another
      set of
      > mounting holes.
      >
      > Clear skies,
      > Bill

      Short Tube
      > Adapter
      >

      > > If anyone is interested in the results of the test, the 10" f/6.3
      > > will not reach focus at f/4 (via 0.63 focal reducer) using the
      ST-
      > > 7XE/CFW8 and AO-7. I'm estimating it was a full 1-2 turns of the
      > > focus knob short.
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > >
      > > Gary
      > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "gfc402" <gdclinch@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Danny,
      > >>
      > >> Your clarification is correct. My scope has 1600mm focal
      length. At
      > >> f/4 I can achieve focus with the ST-7XE and CFW8. With the
      addition
      > > of
      > >> the AO-7 the backfocus falls short.
      > >>
      > >> Don - I sure we're referring to the same component. On Ted's web
      > > page
      > >> at http://webpages.charter.net/tagos/FLR.html it's called
      the "AO-7
      > >> Short 6.3 Adapter tube". Ted's test calls for removing the NGF-S
      > > motor
      > >> focus and mounting the 0.63 focal reducer directly to the
      telescope
      > >> and CCD (w/AO-7) equipment. If I can course focus in this
      > > arrangement
      > >> I should be okay with the adapter.
      > >>
      > >> I appreciate the feedback. It looks like the weather might
      cooperate
      > >> this weekend.
      > >>
      > >> Best regards,
      > >> Gary
      > >>
      > >> www.prairiehillfarmiowa.com
      > >>

      > >> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "dannysperry" <danny@>

      > > think

      > > back

      AO-
      > > 7.

    • gfc402
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 5:46 AM
        Hi Danny,

        Last winter I re-mounted the LX200 on an MI-250. I've been tempted to
        pull the AO-7 off for a few weeks but, as you note, it's hard to put
        it aside.

        Gary