Quick question about Ted Agos AO-7 Short Tube Adapter

  • gfc402
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27 5:47 PM
      Group,

      I'm wondering if anyone has a Ted Agos AO-7 Short Tube Adapter working
      with a 10" f/6.3 LX200 classic using a Meade 0.63 focal reducer? I
      spoke to Ted and he was only sure that the f/10's focus okay. He
      relayed a verification test to do before ordering but the weather
      isn't cooperating. So I thought I'd check here as a backup plan.

      My scope has a JMI NGF-S motor focuser, ST-7XE w/CFW8 and AO-7. I'd
      like to use the AO-7 Short Tube Adapter with a Meade 0.63 corrected
      focal reducer between the NGF-S and the imager.

      Does anyone know if the adapter will allow focus with this arrangement?

      Thanks in advance!

      Gary Clinch
      Grinnell, Iowa
    • Don Waid
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27 6:37 PM
        Gary,

        If you are referring to Ted's AO-7 compatible reducer, I do not see a problem. I use one with my AO-7/ST-8 and 10 (both with CFW8a). I use a Meade LX-200 with a micro-focuser, a C14 with a VanSlyke M4 focuser, and a Classic LX200 with a 2 inch visual back extension that the reducer slides into. They all work fine with Ted's modified reducer.

        Don Waid
        http://www.waid-observatory.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27 9:57 PM
          I think the issue is that Gary's scope is a native f/6.3 and he's
          looking to get it to f/4 using the 0.63x reducer. I'm not sure if
          that presents any additional focus isssues or not. I wouldn't think
          so but that's just a guess.

          Best,
          dp
          http://www.californiastars.net/

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don Waid" <don@...> wrote:

          > Gary,
          >
          > If you are referring to Ted's AO-7 compatible reducer, I do not
          see a problem. I use one with my AO-7/ST-8 and 10 (both with
          CFW8a). I use a Meade LX-200 with a micro-focuser, a C14 with a
          VanSlyke M4 focuser, and a Classic LX200 with a 2 inch visual back
          extension that the reducer slides into. They all work fine with
          Ted's modified reducer.

          > Don Waid
          > http://www.waid-observatory.com

          Tube Adapter

          > Group,
          >
          > I'm wondering if anyone has a Ted Agos AO-7 Short Tube Adapter
          working
          > with a 10" f/6.3 LX200 classic using a Meade 0.63 focal reducer?
          > spoke to Ted and he was only sure that the f/10's focus okay. He
          > relayed a verification test to do before ordering but the weather
          > isn't cooperating. So I thought I'd check here as a backup plan.
          >
          > My scope has a JMI NGF-S motor focuser, ST-7XE w/CFW8 and AO-7.
          I'd
          > like to use the AO-7 Short Tube Adapter with a Meade 0.63
          corrected
          > focal reducer between the NGF-S and the imager.
          >
          > Does anyone know if the adapter will allow focus with this
          arrangement?

          > Thanks in advance!
          >
          > Gary Clinch
          > Grinnell, Iowa

        • gfc402
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 28 5:25 AM
            Danny,

            Your clarification is correct. My scope has 1600mm focal length. At
            f/4 I can achieve focus with the ST-7XE and CFW8. With the addition of
            the AO-7 the backfocus falls short.

            Don - I sure we're referring to the same component. On Ted's web page
            at http://webpages.charter.net/tagos/FLR.html it's called the "AO-7
            Short 6.3 Adapter tube". Ted's test calls for removing the NGF-S motor
            focus and mounting the 0.63 focal reducer directly to the telescope
            and CCD (w/AO-7) equipment. If I can course focus in this arrangement
            I should be okay with the adapter.

            I appreciate the feedback. It looks like the weather might cooperate
            this weekend.

            Best regards,
            Gary

            www.prairiehillfarmiowa.com

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "dannysperry" <danny@...> wrote:

            > I think the issue is that Gary's scope is a native f/6.3 and he's
            > looking to get it to f/4 using the 0.63x reducer. I'm not sure if
            > that presents any additional focus isssues or not. I wouldn't think
            > so but that's just a guess.
            >
            > Best,
            > dp
            > http://www.californiastars.net/
            >

            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don Waid" <don@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Gary,
            > >
            > > If you are referring to Ted's AO-7 compatible reducer, I do not
            > see a problem. I use one with my AO-7/ST-8 and 10 (both with
            > CFW8a). I use a Meade LX-200 with a micro-focuser, a C14 with a
            > VanSlyke M4 focuser, and a Classic LX200 with a 2 inch visual back
            > extension that the reducer slides into. They all work fine with
            > Ted's modified reducer.
            > >
            > > Don Waid
            > > http://www.waid-observatory.com

          • gfc402
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31 6:54 AM
              If anyone is interested in the results of the test, the 10" f/6.3
              will not reach focus at f/4 (via 0.63 focal reducer) using the ST-
              7XE/CFW8 and AO-7. I'm estimating it was a full 1-2 turns of the
              focus knob short.

              Best regards,

              Gary
              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "gfc402" <gdclinch@...> wrote:

              > Danny,
              >
              > Your clarification is correct. My scope has 1600mm focal length. At
              > f/4 I can achieve focus with the ST-7XE and CFW8. With the addition
              of
              > the AO-7 the backfocus falls short.
              >
              > Don - I sure we're referring to the same component. On Ted's web
              page
              > at http://webpages.charter.net/tagos/FLR.html it's called the "AO-7
              > Short 6.3 Adapter tube". Ted's test calls for removing the NGF-S
              motor
              > focus and mounting the 0.63 focal reducer directly to the telescope
              > and CCD (w/AO-7) equipment. If I can course focus in this
              arrangement
              > I should be okay with the adapter.
              >
              > I appreciate the feedback. It looks like the weather might cooperate
              > this weekend.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Gary
              >
              > www.prairiehillfarmiowa.com
              >

              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "dannysperry" <danny@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I think the issue is that Gary's scope is a native f/6.3 and he's
              > > looking to get it to f/4 using the 0.63x reducer. I'm not sure if
              > > that presents any additional focus isssues or not. I wouldn't
              think
              > > so but that's just a guess.
              > >
              > > Best,
              > > dp
              > > http://www.californiastars.net/
              > >

              > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don Waid" <don@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Gary,
              > > >
              > > > If you are referring to Ted's AO-7 compatible reducer, I do not
              > > see a problem. I use one with my AO-7/ST-8 and 10 (both with
              > > CFW8a). I use a Meade LX-200 with a micro-focuser, a C14 with a
              > > VanSlyke M4 focuser, and a Classic LX200 with a 2 inch visual
              back
              > > extension that the reducer slides into. They all work fine with
              > > Ted's modified reducer.
              > > >
              > > > Don Waid
              > > > http://www.waid-observatory.com

            • Bill Logan
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31 7:13 AM
                Gary,
                You can shorten the focal length by moving the main mirror forward a few
                inches. You didn't mention the manufacturer of the reflector, but if it's
                like my Meade 16" StarFinder, look to see if there isn't another set of
                mounting holes.

                Clear skies,
                Bill

                > If anyone is interested in the results of the test, the 10" f/6.3
                > will not reach focus at f/4 (via 0.63 focal reducer) using the ST-
                > 7XE/CFW8 and AO-7. I'm estimating it was a full 1-2 turns of the
                > focus knob short.
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > Gary
                > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "gfc402" <gdclinch@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Danny,
                >>
                >> Your clarification is correct. My scope has 1600mm focal length. At
                >> f/4 I can achieve focus with the ST-7XE and CFW8. With the addition
                > of
                >> the AO-7 the backfocus falls short.
                >>
                >> Don - I sure we're referring to the same component. On Ted's web
                > page
                >> at http://webpages.charter.net/tagos/FLR.html it's called the "AO-7
                >> Short 6.3 Adapter tube". Ted's test calls for removing the NGF-S
                > motor
                >> focus and mounting the 0.63 focal reducer directly to the telescope
                >> and CCD (w/AO-7) equipment. If I can course focus in this
                > arrangement
                >> I should be okay with the adapter.
                >>
                >> I appreciate the feedback. It looks like the weather might cooperate
                >> this weekend.
                >>
                >> Best regards,
                >> Gary
                >>
                >> www.prairiehillfarmiowa.com
                >>

                >> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "dannysperry" <danny@> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > I think the issue is that Gary's scope is a native f/6.3 and he's
                >> > looking to get it to f/4 using the 0.63x reducer. I'm not sure if
                >> > that presents any additional focus isssues or not. I wouldn't
                > think
                >> > so but that's just a guess.
                >> >
                >> > Best,
                >> > dp
                >> > http://www.californiastars.net/

                >> > see a problem. I use one with my AO-7/ST-8 and 10 (both with
                >> > CFW8a). I use a Meade LX-200 with a micro-focuser, a C14 with a
                >> > VanSlyke M4 focuser, and a Classic LX200 with a 2 inch visual
                > back
                >> > extension that the reducer slides into. They all work fine with
                >> > Ted's modified reducer.

              • dannysperry
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 31 11:24 PM
                  Bill: I don't think manually moving the mirror forward a few inches
                  is an option since this is a Meade LX200 SCT, as mentioned in the
                  original post.

                  Gary: The good news is that at f/4 or so you should be able to use
                  the scope's PEC and an autoguider to get very good results. It's
                  tough setting aside the AO-7 once you've used it, I know! Even
                  without autoguiding, using the scope's PEC you might be able to get
                  occasional images of 1-2 minutes before a tracking hiccup shows up. -
                  - I know, not the most encouraging news... you might try talking to
                  Mark de Regt. He made his LX200 work wonders at f/4 for quite some
                  time before moving to an RCX scope.

                  Best,
                  Danny

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Logan" <wb9sat@...> wrote:

                  > Gary,
                  > You can shorten the focal length by moving the main mirror forward
                  a few
                  > inches. You didn't mention the manufacturer of the reflector, but
                  if it's
                  > like my Meade 16" StarFinder, look to see if there isn't another
                  set of
                  > mounting holes.
                  >
                  > Clear skies,
                  > Bill

                  Short Tube
                  > Adapter
                  >

                  > > If anyone is interested in the results of the test, the 10" f/6.3
                  > > will not reach focus at f/4 (via 0.63 focal reducer) using the
                  ST-
                  > > 7XE/CFW8 and AO-7. I'm estimating it was a full 1-2 turns of the
                  > > focus knob short.
                  > >
                  > > Best regards,
                  > >
                  > > Gary
                  > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "gfc402" <gdclinch@> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> Danny,
                  > >>
                  > >> Your clarification is correct. My scope has 1600mm focal
                  length. At
                  > >> f/4 I can achieve focus with the ST-7XE and CFW8. With the
                  addition
                  > > of
                  > >> the AO-7 the backfocus falls short.
                  > >>
                  > >> Don - I sure we're referring to the same component. On Ted's web
                  > > page
                  > >> at http://webpages.charter.net/tagos/FLR.html it's called
                  the "AO-7
                  > >> Short 6.3 Adapter tube". Ted's test calls for removing the NGF-S
                  > > motor
                  > >> focus and mounting the 0.63 focal reducer directly to the
                  telescope
                  > >> and CCD (w/AO-7) equipment. If I can course focus in this
                  > > arrangement
                  > >> I should be okay with the adapter.
                  > >>
                  > >> I appreciate the feedback. It looks like the weather might
                  cooperate
                  > >> this weekend.
                  > >>
                  > >> Best regards,
                  > >> Gary
                  > >>
                  > >> www.prairiehillfarmiowa.com
                  > >>

                  > >> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "dannysperry" <danny@>

                  > > think

                  > > back

                • gfc402
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Hi Danny,

                    Last winter I re-mounted the LX200 on an MI-250. I've been tempted to
                    pull the AO-7 off for a few weeks but, as you note, it's hard to put
                    it aside.

                    Gary