focusing 35mm camera lenses for ccd imaging

  • LaMont Cranston
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about focusing 35mm camera
      lenses for ccd use. I'm going to try the different things that were
      suggested the next time I'm out. Today, I'm going to make a small focusing
      mask which should help a great deal. I will also try stopping down the lens
      a notch or two. When I asked the question, I had already ordered an h-alpha
      filter. Someone said that would knock out some of the star bloating.

      I just posted an image of M45 on my website. It's pretty rough but shows the
      star bloating clearly. I was hoping some people would look at the image and
      give me more opinions. I also thought that maybe after seeing an image,
      someone who already responded may have a different opinion.

      LaMont Cranston
      Cheltenham, Pennsylvania USA
      39 53 N, 75 15 W

      http://w1828.homestead.com/MYPAGE.html

    • Carol and Dan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
        Hi Lamont! A couple thin sticks equally spaced across the lens my help
        focusing the lens or a fencing wire mesh. I use the mesh on my CR150 and
        my Megrez 80. I got it at Home Depot. The squares are about 3/8" square
        and you get really fine long spikes on a star when at perfect focus. It
        works great for me! I'm going to make one for my 10" SCT also! buen

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
          How are you attaching the lens to the STV?

          Ron Wodaski
          The New CCD Astronomy
          http://www.newastro.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
            I see really strong star elongation in your M45 image, with comet-like tails
            off to the right from most stars. This indicates that the lens is not
            properly aligned with your STV. My question about how you are attaching the
            lens to the STV is now a critical point! I think you will see dramatically
            better results if you can get the lens and the camera square to each other.

            Otherwise, if they already are square to each other, it would appear that
            the lens itself is either damaged or out of collimation.

            Ron Wodaski
            The New CCD Astronomy
            http://www.newastro.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
              I'm attaching the lens to the camera with the SBIG adapter meant for that
              purpose. I don't think I have much of a way to change the alignment.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
                Unless something is misaligned in the connections, the lens should be
                checked for a misaligned element or something else that would cause such
                extreme coma from side to side. Something is out of whack. Make sure you
                have not crossed threads, for example, when attaching the SBIG adapter to
                the STV.

                Ron Wodaski
                The New CCD Astronomy
                http://www.newastro.com