free astro hosting

  • Rob MacKay
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2001
      Hi all,

      Using a friend as a willing guinea pig, I have made some changes to my site
      that allows me to host others. Richard agreed to try it out as he wasn't
      too happy with the yahoo geocities free hosting. (annoying ads and very
      dificult to keep a copy of your site on a local disk for easy editing). Now
      Richard's new site is a simple subweb of DarkHorizons, as is my own. see
      Richard's new site at http://www.darkhorizons.org/rdcrisp and my own has
      moved to http://www.darkhorizons.org/rmackay. Setup was quite simple and I
      have quite a lot of free space/throughput on the server so I am offering
      this service to others as well. Of course if you already have your own url,
      then you are set up just fine and don't really even need to read this
      message any further.

      What do you get? Your own subweb listed similar to the url's above with
      your choice of directory name, with a link listed on the main page. (see
      current main page for examples) Complete and secure author/admin access to
      your web so it can be edited and published completely separate from anything
      else on DarkHorizons. You also get your own @... email address
      with WebMail access off the main site. Space and throughput should never be
      a problem either. You also won't have annoying popup ads or cryptic urls to
      remember.

      What's the catch? There is no catch. I am simply offering this to promote
      our hobby and give others a chance to show off their stuff on the internet.
      Ok, maybe there is one catch - the site must be
      astronomy/astrophotography/CCD oriented.

      If you are interested or have any comments, please feel free to email me
      offline at rob@....

      Rob