Re: Critical Focus - Anyone Using Robofocus and A Clement Focuser w/ @Focus?

  • stevesantee92071
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      Dave,

      Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't heard about @Focus2. I
      will definitely attempt the upgrade in software. If I have a problem
      I may come back to you with a question if you don't mind :-) Am I
      correct in that @Focus uses max pixel value to determine best focus?
      Does @Focus2 use a different method? Thanks again.

      Steve

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "David B. Toth" <ve3gyq@...>
      wrote:

      > At 12:18 PM 6/1/2006, stevesantee92071 wrote:
      > >I recently purchased a Clement focuser for use on my C11 and have
      > >Robofocus unit on the way. My CCD camera came with CCDSoft which
      > >contains the @Focus focusing routine.
      > >
      > >I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for preliminary
      > >settings for the following fields in CCDSoft:
      > >
      > >@Focus Settings
      > >Samples: Range is 10 to 50
      > >Averaging: Range is 1 to 10
      > >Initial Directions: Choices are In or Out
      > >
      > >RoboFocus Settings
      > >Large Step Size (a numerical value)
      > >Small Step Size (a numerical value)
      > >Backlash (a numerical value)
      > >
      > >I know that some or all of these settings may have to be
      determined
      > >at the scope, but if anyone has any guidance where to start I
      would
      > >really appreciate your help! Thanks.
      >
      > Steve: I suggest that you try @Focus2 in CCDSoft .... you need to
      > create a directory under CCDSoft called AtFocus2 and then you
      > should see the @Focus2 button under the @Focus button ... this
      will
      > become THE focusing method in CCDSoft shortly ...
      >
      > Get the latest CCDSoft from the Hotfixes page ... go to Help, and
      > under contents you should see @Focus2 Automated Focus .... works
      with
      > Robofocus, TCF-S, etc.
      >
      > Dave

    • stevesantee92071
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hi John,

        Thanks for the info. I had seen Focusmax referred to somewhere else,
        but I thought that it was part of another software package. I'll
        definitely download it and give it a try when my Robofocus arrives.
        Do you know which method the software uses to determine best focus
        (max pixel, FWHM, etc.)? Thanks again!

        Steve

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "lunacie" <john@...> wrote:

        > I can highly recommend focusmax, which is freeware. It does not
        > require absolute settings as the first-light wizard runs a series
        of
        > calibration routines, one just has to follow the onscreen
        directions
        > and any focuser with focusmax will be set up optimally.
        >
        > I found @focus and MaximDL's internal focus left something to be
        > desired compare to focusmax.
        >
        > regards,
        >
        > john t.
        >
        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "stevesantee92071"
        > <sstephenson61@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I recently purchased a Clement focuser for use on my C11 and
        have a
        > > Robofocus unit on the way. My CCD camera came with CCDSoft which
        > > contains the @Focus focusing routine.
        > >
        > > I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for preliminary
        > > settings for the following fields in CCDSoft:
        > >
        > > @Focus Settings
        > > Samples: Range is 10 to 50
        > > Averaging: Range is 1 to 10
        > > Initial Directions: Choices are In or Out
        > >
        > > RoboFocus Settings
        > > Large Step Size (a numerical value)
        > > Small Step Size (a numerical value)
        > > Backlash (a numerical value)
        > >
        > > I know that some or all of these settings may have to be
        determined
        > > at the scope, but if anyone has any guidance where to start I
        would
        > > really appreciate your help! Thanks.

      • David B. Toth
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
          At 03:40 PM 6/1/2006, lunacie wrote:
          >I can highly recommend focusmax, which is freeware. It does not
          >require absolute settings as the first-light wizard runs a series of
          >calibration routines, one just has to follow the onscreen directions
          >and any focuser with focusmax will be set up optimally.
          >
          >I found @focus and MaximDL's internal focus left something to be
          >desired compare to focusmax.

          Again, @Focus has been superseded by @Focus2 and does not require
          additional software be installed.
          One "calibrates" it by telling it the magnitude of the calibration
          star, and how long an exposure was/is required to obtain a count of
          about 20,000 ...

          After that, it sets up an appropriate exposure given the magnitude of
          any other focus star in its table (actually a database query from
          TheSky6) and works automatically, slewing to the closest appropriate
          star. This isn't a new idea ... seems to work well ...

          Dave
        • David B. Toth
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
            At 09:03 PM 6/1/2006, stevesantee92071 wrote:
            >Dave,
            >
            >Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't heard about @Focus2. I
            >will definitely attempt the upgrade in software. If I have a problem
            >I may come back to you with a question if you don't mind :-) Am I
            >correct in that @Focus uses max pixel value to determine best focus?
            >Does @Focus2 use a different method? Thanks again.

            I "believe" that @Focus may have used max pixel ... I "think" @Focus2
            uses sharpness ...

            The best person to ask is Matt Bisque (matthew at bisque dot com)

            Dave
          • dan kowall
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
              Under 'Focus Tools' / 'Graph' one has the choice of Maximum or Sharpness. I believe when one chooses sharpness, @Focus uses the sharpness values to determine focus.

              dan kowall
              photonhunter.com

              ___________

              "David B. Toth" <ve3gyq@...> wrote: At 09:03 PM 6/1/2006, stevesantee92071 wrote:
              >Dave,
              >
              >Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't heard about @Focus2. I
              >will definitely attempt the upgrade in software. If I have a problem
              >I may come back to you with a question if you don't mind :-) Am I
              >correct in that @Focus uses max pixel value to determine best focus?
              >Does @Focus2 use a different method? Thanks again.

              I "believe" that @Focus may have used max pixel ... I "think" @Focus2
              uses sharpness ...

              The best person to ask is Matt Bisque (matthew at bisque dot com)

              Dave

              Ccd camera Digital ccd camera Astronomy telescope Color ccd camera Ccd astronomy Sony ccd camera

            • stevesantee92071
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
                Thanks for your replies David and Dan. I appreciate all your help. I
                can't wait to get the Robofocus installed on my focuser and try it
                out!

                Steve

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, dan kowall <dan_kowall@...>
                wrote:

                > Under 'Focus Tools' / 'Graph' one has the choice of Maximum or
                Sharpness. I believe when one chooses sharpness, @Focus uses the
                sharpness values to determine focus.

                > dan kowall
                > photonhunter.com
                >
                > ___________
                >
                > "David B. Toth" <ve3gyq@...> wrote: At 09:03 PM 6/1/2006,
                stevesantee92071 wrote:
                > >Dave,
                > >
                > >Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't heard about
                @Focus2. I
                > >will definitely attempt the upgrade in software. If I have a
                problem
                > >I may come back to you with a question if you don't mind :-) Am I
                > >correct in that @Focus uses max pixel value to determine best
                focus?
                > >Does @Focus2 use a different method? Thanks again.
                >
                > I "believe" that @Focus may have used max pixel ... I "think"
                @Focus2
                > uses sharpness ...
                >
                > The best person to ask is Matt Bisque (matthew at bisque dot com)
                >
                > Dave

                > Ccd
                camera Digital ccd
                camera Astronomy