M106

  • Warren A. Keller
    Message 1 of 14 , May 9, 2006
      Friends,
      Just finished up on the galaxy acquired a couple of weeks ago.
      Hope you enjoy. Description is at

      http://www.billionsandbillions.com/M106.html

      and info in a mouseover.

      Thanks!

      Warren A Keller
      www.billionsandbillions.com
      www.ip4ap.com
    • Steve Reilly
      Message 2 of 14 , May 9, 2006
        Very neat image. Lots of great data especially using a Barlow!

        Steve

        Just finished up on the galaxy acquired a couple of weeks ago.
        Hope you enjoy. Description is at

        http://www.billionsandbillions.com/M106.html

        and info in a mouseover.

        Thanks!

        Warren A Keller
        www.billionsandbillions.com
        www.ip4ap.com

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> You
        can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See how.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/N_XolB/TM
      • Don Waid
        Message 3 of 14 , May 10, 2006
          Warren,

          Nice image of M106. The color balance may be a little on the red/brown
          side, at least on my monitor. I believe the designation of the little
          face-on galaxy (under the e in Canes) is PGC 2292458.

          Best,

          Don Waid
          http://www.waid-observatory.com

          > Just finished up on the galaxy acquired a couple of weeks ago.
          > Hope you enjoy. Description is at
          >
          > http://www.billionsandbillions.com/M106.html
          >
          > and info in a mouseover.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Warren A Keller
          > www.billionsandbillions.com
          > www.ip4ap.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Warren A. Keller
          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2006
            Thanks Don, I couldn't find it! I am dialing the blue/red in a bit
            more. I mentioned your star tut in my tut yesterday and referenced
            your webpage!

            WAK

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don Waid" <don@...> wrote:

            > Warren,
            >
            > Nice image of M106. The color balance may be a little on the
            red/brown
            > side, at least on my monitor. I believe the designation of the
            little
            > face-on galaxy (under the e in Canes) is PGC 2292458.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Don Waid
            > http://www.waid-observatory.com

          • Warren A. Keller
            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2006
              Thanks Steve. The Harry Siebert 1.5x is very nice for us poor guys.

              WAK

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Reilly" <sreilly@...>
              wrote:

              > Very neat image. Lots of great data especially using a Barlow!
              >
              > Steve

            • Rick Wiggins
              Message 6 of 14 , May 10, 2006
                Hi Warren,
                Nice detail and color!
                Rick

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Warren A. Keller" <warhen@...>
                wrote:

                > Friends,
                > Just finished up on the galaxy acquired a couple of weeks
                ago.
                > Hope you enjoy. Description is at
                >
                > http://www.billionsandbillions.com/M106.html
                >
                > and info in a mouseover.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Warren A Keller
                > www.billionsandbillions.com
                > www.ip4ap.com

              • Paul K
                Message 7 of 14 , May 10, 2006
                  Hi Warren,

                  Neat shot! Very nice detail, and looks deep. I agree with Don, the
                  color is a bit low in blue. Here is the color balance that I tend to
                  expect for this galaxy:

                  http://pk.darkhorizons.org/images/wak-m106.jpg

                  Regards,

                  -Paul

                  wrote:

                  > Friends,
                  > Just finished up on the galaxy acquired a couple of weeks
                  ago.
                  > Hope you enjoy. Description is at
                  >
                  > http://www.billionsandbillions.com/M106.html
                  >
                  > and info in a mouseover.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Warren A Keller
                  > www.billionsandbillions.com
                  > www.ip4ap.com

                • waddington50
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
                    This image was shot with a 12.5" CDK telescope and a QSI-640ws camera
                    working at f/8. The data were captured on three nights in June from a
                    dark-sky site near Anza, CA for a total LRGB integration of 7.3 hours.
                    I was actually rather late in the year getting to this target, so it was
                    too low in the northwest to get any H-alpha data. The well-known "jets"
                    are just barely visible in the red, and I imagine H-alpha data would
                    have definitely helped to bring them out better. The bulk of the
                    post-processing was done in CCDStack, with color balance using
                    ExCalibrator and final enhancement using Photoshop.

                    http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
                    <http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jp\
                    g>

                    Thanks for looking - comments and criticism are welcome.

                    Bruce W.

                  • Ron Brant
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
                      Nice photo Bruce.
                      Ron

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
                        Bruce,

                        Very nice image. Good detail in the core. There might be some more detail you could get in the outer arms, but I am looking at it on an iPad, so I am not sure.

                        Bernard

                        Sent from my iPad

                        On Jun 25, 2013, at 6:13 PM, "waddington50" <bw_msg01@...> wrote:

                        > This image was shot with a 12.5" CDK telescope and a QSI-640ws camera
                        > working at f/8. The data were captured on three nights in June from a
                        > dark-sky site near Anza, CA for a total LRGB integration of 7.3 hours.
                        > I was actually rather late in the year getting to this target, so it was
                        > too low in the northwest to get any H-alpha data. The well-known "jets"
                        > are just barely visible in the red, and I imagine H-alpha data would
                        > have definitely helped to bring them out better. The bulk of the
                        > post-processing was done in CCDStack, with color balance using
                        > ExCalibrator and final enhancement using Photoshop.
                        >
                        > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
                        > <http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jp\
                        > g>
                        >
                        > Thanks for looking - comments and criticism are welcome.
                        >
                        > Bruce W.

                      • Stan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 26, 2013
                          --- "waddington50" <bw_msg01@...> wrote:
                          > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg

                          Top notch!
                          That's about as good as is possible with 12" aperture.

                          Stan
                        • waddington50
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 26, 2013
                            Thanks for the comments and encouragement on this one guys. I did take Bernard's suggestion and was able to bring out a bit more detail in the dim arms. Time to move on to the next target... :-)

                            Cheers,

                            Bruce

                            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <stan_ccd@...> wrote:

                            > --- "waddington50" <bw_msg01@> wrote:
                            > > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
                            >
                            > Top notch!
                            > That's about as good as is possible with 12" aperture.
                            >
                            > Stan

                          • Fabio Acquarone
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 15, 2014

                              Hi,
                               I had a session on Saturday shooting M106.  Moon at 53% was disturbing a lot and i struggled to have a good result on the background sky, flat was almost covering issues at 50%.
                              Anyway cropping a little , defects are les visible, but i found on the image a zone , upper right corner, which it puzzling me. It seems that something is displayed but i do not undertsand what it is.
                              Here is the image http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/13070025874/lightbox/

                              Here is the image with some label on the displayed objects, not all are labelled.
                               http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/13069654235/

                              And here is a crop of the "incriminated" area, that i put on the Files-->Fabio folder.
                              Can someone help to understand ? Is it a reflection ?

                              Image was taken with:
                              FLT 110 F7 on GM11
                              SXVF-M25C + LP2 + flattener
                              Lodestar as guider

                              Thanks
                              Fabio

                              FabioH2O_3Piccolo

                              http://www.flickr.com/people/fabioh2o/

                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/collections/72157631874618638/  (Astronomy)

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 15, 2014
                                BTW: would be interesting to see the raw FITS stack; that image has been smoothed quite a bit (noise reduction).

                                Also, the links I sent previously indicate that stuff in that area is mag 21-22, so that's some very dim stuff; probably why there's not much available about it in NED.

                                Ron Wodaski

                                On Mar 15, 2014, at 5:17 AM, Fabio Acquarone <fabio_acquarone@...> wrote:

[...]

                                <image001.jpg>