Re: Comet Imaging Questions

  • James Braddy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
      How do I align on just the comet using CCDSoft? I've never done that
      before, I always just put all the images in a folder, and had the
      software automaticly align the entire folder of images. I don't have
      Maxum DL.

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Persyk" <dpersyk@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi James,
      >
      > An average combine aligned on the head produces the best image of
      > the comet morphology. An example is
      > http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
      >
      > To make an animated GIF I recommend aligning on the stars. That
      > produces a more pleasing display than aligning on the comet. Be
      > sure to crop and use lots of compression and reduce the bit depth
      > keep the file small. There is little justification for a 10-20 MB
      > comet video. I like to keep mine to 50 -100 KB as I have many
      dialup
      > visitors.
      >
      > Dennis Persyk
      > Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
      > Hampshire, IL
      >
      > 73P-B imagery http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
      >
      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "James Braddy" <JDBraddy@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I shot a bunch of 30sec and one minute exposures of the C
      portion
      > of
      > > comet Schwassmann-Wachmann last night, but since the comet is
      > moving in relation to the background stars, I can't figure out how
      > to either align and combine them, or make a progressive animation
      of
      > the Fits images. The individual images are pretty grainy. What
      > should I do with them?

    • James Braddy
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        I think I figured it out, though I'm not sure I like the effect.
        Here's four one minute images and four 30sec. images aligned on a
        centroid in the comet.
        JDBraddy

        http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=138779550&size=o