Comet Imaging Questions

  • James Braddy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
      I shot a bunch of 30sec and one minute exposures of the C portion of
      comet Schwassmann-Wachmann last night, but since the comet is moving in
      relation to the background stars, I can't figure out how to either
      align and combine them, or make a progressive animation of the Fits
      images. The individual images are pretty grainy. What should I do with
      them?
    • Dennis Persyk
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
        Hi James,

        An average combine aligned on the head produces the best image of
        the comet morphology. An example is
        http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

        To make an animated GIF I recommend aligning on the stars. That
        produces a more pleasing display than aligning on the comet. Be
        sure to crop and use lots of compression and reduce the bit depth to
        keep the file small. There is little justification for a 10-20 MB
        comet video. I like to keep mine to 50 -100 KB as I have many dialup
        visitors.

        Dennis Persyk
        Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
        Hampshire, IL

        73P-B imagery http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "James Braddy" <JDBraddy@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
          How do I align on just the comet using CCDSoft? I've never done that
          before, I always just put all the images in a folder, and had the
          software automaticly align the entire folder of images. I don't have
          Maxum DL.

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Persyk" <dpersyk@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi James,
          >
          > An average combine aligned on the head produces the best image of
          > the comet morphology. An example is
          > http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
          >
          > To make an animated GIF I recommend aligning on the stars. That
          > produces a more pleasing display than aligning on the comet. Be
          > sure to crop and use lots of compression and reduce the bit depth
          > keep the file small. There is little justification for a 10-20 MB
          > comet video. I like to keep mine to 50 -100 KB as I have many
          dialup
          > visitors.
          >
          > Dennis Persyk
          > Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
          > Hampshire, IL
          >
          > 73P-B imagery http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
          >
          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "James Braddy" <JDBraddy@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I shot a bunch of 30sec and one minute exposures of the C
          portion
          > of
          > > comet Schwassmann-Wachmann last night, but since the comet is
          > moving in relation to the background stars, I can't figure out how
          > to either align and combine them, or make a progressive animation
          of
          > the Fits images. The individual images are pretty grainy. What
          > should I do with them?

        • James Braddy
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2006
            I think I figured it out, though I'm not sure I like the effect.
            Here's four one minute images and four 30sec. images aligned on a
            centroid in the comet.
            JDBraddy

            http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=138779550&size=o