ic434 Artifact Contest

  • michaelsherick
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2006
      I changed over from the RC to the TMB152 yesterday. My initial test
      image was ic434 in Ha for a 45 minute exposure STL6303 self-guided.
      The scope performed well, but I noticed an unusual "artifact" in the
      lower right of the image. It didn't look like a typical dust mote.

      I decided to shift the telescope a few arc sec to see if the artifact
      remained in the same location in the FOV. The second exposure was
      taken 25 minutes after the first image and showed the artifact moved
      in the frame.

      I then moved the scope to another object close by and imaged for 1o
      minutes. The artifact was not in the FOV. I then went back to ic434
      and imaged it for a few minutes and to my surprise, the aritfact was
      gone.

      My only (non-scientific) conclusion was that it was a bug that had
      landed on the lens of the TMB, but that doesn't make any sense
      because it should show up as a larger artifact. In addition, the
      artifact shows some interesting structure, like a planetary nebula.

      http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Neb/Artifacts/artifacts.html

      I have no idea what this could be. I suppose this makes for a good
      contest. Whoever determines what this is, wins the prize!

      Regards,
      Mike Sherick
      Cabrillo Mesa Observatory
    • paul
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2006
        an unwrapped and fortunately not yet unrolled condom floating in
        space ?

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "michaelsherick"
        <michaelsherick@...> wrote:

        > I changed over from the RC to the TMB152 yesterday. My initial
        test
        > image was ic434 in Ha for a 45 minute exposure STL6303 self-
        guided.
        > The scope performed well, but I noticed an unusual "artifact" in
        the
        > lower right of the image. It didn't look like a typical dust
        mote.

        > I decided to shift the telescope a few arc sec to see if the
        artifact
        > remained in the same location in the FOV. The second exposure was
        > taken 25 minutes after the first image and showed the artifact
        moved
        > in the frame.
        >
        > I then moved the scope to another object close by and imaged for
        1o
        > minutes. The artifact was not in the FOV. I then went back to
        ic434
        > and imaged it for a few minutes and to my surprise, the aritfact
        was
        > gone.
        >
        > My only (non-scientific) conclusion was that it was a bug that had
        > landed on the lens of the TMB, but that doesn't make any sense
        > because it should show up as a larger artifact. In addition, the
        > artifact shows some interesting structure, like a planetary nebula.
        >
        > http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Neb/Artifacts/artifacts.html
        >
        > I have no idea what this could be. I suppose this makes for a
        good
        > contest. Whoever determines what this is, wins the prize!
        >
        > Regards,
        > Mike Sherick
        > Cabrillo Mesa Observatory

      • Wodaski Yahoo
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2006
          I get stuff like this all the time when imaging this area in Ha. It's an
          internal reflection off of one surface or another. I've had them be anything
          from circles to really bizarre, complex shapes. It all depends on exactly
          what is causing the reflections. My worse Alnitak reflection actually looked
          like a dagger. You sometimes see such weird reflection shapes off of metal
          surfaces in sunlight, as from a car hubcap onto a building.

          In this case, the weirdness is simply an elongation and a defocusing
          (reflection off of something not orthogonal to the optical axis, and a
          longer path for the reflection).

          Ron Wodaski
          http://www.newastro.com

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://www.eset.com
        • eja24601
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 16, 2006
            It's a scout ship from Willzyx' home planet in the Horse Head nebula
            heading this way. They're looking for Willzyx and are very concerned
            as to why he has not come home yet. They will fry the denizens of
            his guest world (known to its locals as Earth) if something bad
            happened to him.

            This must be the consequence of events chronicled in this South Park
            episode, so it must be true ;)

            http://www.tv.com/south-park/free-willzyx/episode/584636/summary.html

            Hey, it's on topic! I was imaging while watching this episode!!!! ;)

            Seriously, Ron's description makes sense. I imaged that area
            recently myself, and there's a triangular artifact near the HH that
            was not present (at least not obvious) after I combined images.

            Strange-looking, indeed. It looks like an astigmatic, out of focus
            star.

            Eric