Re: Canon 20Da

  • mandellgl
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
      Alan,

      Join the "digital_astro · Digital Astro" Yahoo Discussion Group.

      Ask your question there or search the archives.

      You will certainly find the information that you are looking for.

      Gordon

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Sheppard"
      <alan.sheppard@g...> wrote:

      > I am a new member. I own a NS 11GPS and a cheap Celestron CCD
      webcam
      > only good for planetary work and again it is the bottom of the
      line.

      > My scope is Fastar ready, but I do not want to go that way. I
      forget
      > the price of the ccd imager for this, but it was out of my price
      range
      > last year.
      >
      > I now feel I can make a substantial purchase (in my terms) and was
      > looking at the Digital Rebel 350d XT until it was mentioned to me
      last
      > evening that the Canon 20Da and "a" for astronomy was built for
      the job.

      > Not really knowing your group, this specific camera for astronomy I
      > would think would fit within your group, but......who am I.
      >
      > This will be a large cost for me but I do want it for dual duty,
      use
      > it as a normal camera, I do not own a digital camera, still have my
      > SLR Pentax, but not going to use film and don't use it anyway.
      >
      > With no experience, can anybody give me an idea if the 20Da is far
      the
      > better purchase than the 350D.
      >
      > Hate to cause a stir, but I do need some help.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Alan Sheppard

    • dannysperry
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        Just a minor observation... while the standard UV/IR filter has been
        removed in the 20Da, another filter is in its place. It's not as if
        there is no filter at all in front of the sensor. The filter that
        Canon uses for this camera allows more light at the red end of the
        spectrum through to the sensor. Also, this camera allows the mirror
        to be locked up to facilitate focusing while also allowing the image
        on the rear LCD to be magnified to further aid in focusing.

        The 20Da can pretty much be used out of the box for daytime
        photography. See the following:

        http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=6982
        http://www.lrgb.com/20da

        Best,
        Danny
        http://www.californiastars.net/

        <alan.sheppard@g...> wrote:

        > I am a new member. I own a NS 11GPS and a cheap Celestron CCD
        webcam
        > only good for planetary work and again it is the bottom of the
        line.

        > My scope is Fastar ready, but I do not want to go that way. I
        forget
        > the price of the ccd imager for this, but it was out of my price
        range
        > last year.
        >
        > I now feel I can make a substantial purchase (in my terms) and was
        > looking at the Digital Rebel 350d XT until it was mentioned to me
        last
        > evening that the Canon 20Da and "a" for astronomy was built for
        the job.

        > Not really knowing your group, this specific camera for astronomy I
        > would think would fit within your group, but......who am I.
        >
        > This will be a large cost for me but I do want it for dual duty,
        use
        > it as a normal camera, I do not own a digital camera, still have my
        > SLR Pentax, but not going to use film and don't use it anyway.
        >
        > With no experience, can anybody give me an idea if the 20Da is far
        the
        > better purchase than the 350D.
        >
        > Hate to cause a stir, but I do need some help.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Alan Sheppard

      • Alan Sheppard
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          Thanks everyone for you imput now I will try and take it all in. I
          just hope I can purchase the 20da as it is the top of the line now and
          the way thing are going in two or three years it will be history, but
          you can't wait for the future if you want to live in the present.

          BTW Gordon, I did post in the digital Astro, but did not even see my
          post let alone a reply. Thanks anyway.

          Alan Sheppard