Re: The Advanced Imaging Conference - and the East Coast Conference on Astronom

  • galaxyimages1
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2005
      Warren:

      Read the whole announcement - there is going to be an East Coast version.

      As to a poll - problem is, the guys who are willing to work on this,
      all of us below, want to do so near where we live. We have families,
      day jobs, etc. that would make it difficult to put these on in a
      location that is more than driving distance from us - in San Jose or
      Philly. Unless of course, you want to send us a chartered jet to get
      around in. ;-))

      Steve

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Warren A. Keller" <warhen@z...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > to join
      > > forces with us, with the idea of the annually alternating
      > locations.
      > >

      > > At the conclusion of this year's conference, and with a lot of
      > thoughtful
      > > deliberations transpiring, it now seems to all of us that a better
      > plan
      > > would be to continue to have the Advanced Imaging Conference on
      > the West
      > > Coast each year. In addition, the original East Coast organizers
      > have
      > > separated from the combined group and will conduct an annual
      > conference
      > > there, the East Coast Conference on Astronomical Imaging.
      > >

      > > Many considerations come into play, but simple logistics turns out
      > to be
      > > paramount in this decision. For one thing, despite the
      > conveniences of
      > > modern electronic communications, there is no good substitute for
      > having the
      > > organizing committee members able to meet face-to-face often to
      > make plans
      > > and discuss options. More importantly, upon careful review of the
      > > geographic locations of most attendees, it is now apparent that
      > most of the
      > > AIC attendees have been from the West Coast. It is likely that
      > many of
      > > these attendees would not be able to attend an East Coast
      > Conference, and
      > > conversely there are many East Coast imagers who have been unable
      > to attend
      > > the West Coast conference, but would be able to attend one on the
      > East
      > > Coast.
      > >

      > > To recap our plans there will be two conferences - Advanced Imaging
      > > Conference on the West Coast, in San Jose on November 10-12, and
      > the East
      > > Coast Conference on Astronomical Imaging, in Philadelphia on
      > August 11-13,
      > > in 2006. Both conferences are going to be great!
      > >

      > > The organizing committee of the Advanced Imaging Conference will
      > continue to
      > > conduct the conference on the West Coast. The three East Coast
      > members will
      > > form their own separate conference committee and conduct the East
      > Coast
      > > Conference on Astronomical Imaging. Registration information will
      > be
      > > announced in plenty of time for attendees to make travel plans for
      > both
      > > conferences.
      > >

      > > Both committees appreciate your support and participation.
      > >

      > > Advanced Imaging Conference
      > >
      > > -------------
      > >
      > > Steve Mandel
      > >
      > > Ken Crawford
      > >
      > > Russ Croman
      > >
      > > Keith Allred
      > >
      > > Brian Lula
      > >

      > > East Coast Conference on Astronomical Imaging

    • Nicolas
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hello,

        Also for European folks, it would be great to be able to
        order a dvd of the event. It's so frustrating to not being
        able to attend such an event. I know that looking a DVD is
        not the same than attending the presentation, but it is far
        better than nothing.

        I would like also, to say 'A HUGE thanks' to Richard for
        having recording and posting his presentation.

        Merci beaucoup Richard !
        Nicolas
      • Steven Orlando
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
          Hello Steve,

          Is there a link to the East Coast Imaging Conference?

          Steve
> [...]
          > in 2006. Both conferences are going to be great!
          >

          > The organizing committee of the Advanced Imaging Conference will continue
          > conduct the conference on the West Coast. The three East Coast members
          > will
          > form their own separate conference committee and conduct the East Coast
          > Conference on Astronomical Imaging. Registration information will be
          > announced in plenty of time for attendees to make travel plans for both
          > conferences.
          >

          > Both committees appreciate your support and participation.
          >

          > Advanced Imaging Conference
          >
          > -------------
          >
          > Steve Mandel
          >
          > Ken Crawford
          >
          > Russ Croman
          >
          > Keith Allred
          >
          > Brian Lula
          >

          > East Coast Conference on Astronomical Imaging

        • jmize
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
            I'll second the Motion for DVD's of the entire conference...joe :)

            "May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"

            Joe Mize: jmize@...
            StarFields Observatory http://www.cav-sfo.com
            Chiefland, FL 29:24'33.4"N 82:51'37.7"W
            Moon Phase: http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/phase.gif
            > Also for European folks, it would be great to be able to
            > order a dvd of the event. It's so frustrating to not being
            > able to attend such an event. I know that looking a DVD is
            > not the same than attending the presentation, but it is far
            > better than nothing.
            >
            > I would like also, to say 'A HUGE thanks' to Richard for
            > having recording and posting his presentation.
            >
            > Merci beaucoup Richard !
            > Nicolas
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • galaxyimages1
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
              Not yet - I'm sure there will be an announcement on this list when the
              web page is available.

              Steve

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Steven Orlando <sorlando@s...> wrote:

              > Hello Steve,
              >
              > Is there a link to the East Coast Imaging Conference?
              >
              > Steve

            • Wayne Cooper
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                Please select the link below to view my question concerning the AIC
                East:

                http://wayne-cooper.com/photo_gallery37.htm

                Sincerely, Wayne

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "galaxyimages1" <smandel@m...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                Coast
                > > members will
                > > > form their own separate conference committee and conduct the
                East
                > > Coast
                > > > Conference on Astronomical Imaging. Registration information
                will
                > > be
                > > > announced in plenty of time for attendees to make travel plans
                for
                > > both
                > > > conferences.
                > > >

                > > > Both committees appreciate your support and participation.
                > > >

                > > > Advanced Imaging Conference
                > > >
                > > > -------------
                > > >
                > > > Steve Mandel
                > > >
                > > > Ken Crawford
                > > >
                > > > Russ Croman
                > > >
                > > > Keith Allred
                > > >
                > > > Brian Lula
                > > >

                > > > East Coast Conference on Astronomical Imaging

              • galaxyimages1
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2005
                  Please select the link below to see my answer:

                  http://www.galaxyimages.com/baby.html

                  Steve

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Cooper" <coopersx@c...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > location that is more than driving distance from us - in San Jose
                  > or
                  > > Philly. Unless of course, you want to send us a chartered jet to
                  > get
                  > > around in. ;-))
                  > >
                  > > Steve
                  > >

                  > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Warren A. Keller"
                  > <warhen@z...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Dear Guys,
                  > > > It's not within my means to travel to the left coast.
                  > I'm
                  > > > a drivable 5 hours from NYC. I was able to do Ron's workshop at
                  > > > NEAF, but would love an AIC-type conference in the east. I wish
                  > you
                  > > > could have put out a poll on a few lists to see how many midwest
                  > > > right coasters there are that would have been interested.

                • Randy Nulman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2005
                    Wayne,

                    As you know, I consider you seriously "funny" and "sick" at the same
                    time <G>! This was another one of your funny posts and really made
                    my day!!....Also saw Steve's response, which was equally appropriate
                    to this.

                    Regards,
                    Randy Nulman

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > or
                    > > Philly. Unless of course, you want to send us a chartered jet
                    > get
                    > > around in. ;-))
                    > >
                    > > Steve
                    > >

                    > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Warren A. Keller"
                    > <warhen@z...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Dear Guys,
                    > > > It's not within my means to travel to the left
                    coast.
                    > I'm
                    > > > a drivable 5 hours from NYC. I was able to do Ron's workshop
                    at
                    > > > NEAF, but would love an AIC-type conference in the east. I
                    wish
                    > you
                    > > > could have put out a poll on a few lists to see how many
                    midwest
                    > > > right coasters there are that would have been interested.

                  • Dave Bailey
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2, 2005
                      Yeah, I start to giggle now just seeing his name, before I know what the
                      message is.
                      I lost his picture book of him and his extended family, I needed that to
                      show my family his real picture <G>.
                      Dave Bailey

> [...]
                      > AIC
                      >> East:
                      >>
                      >> http://wayne-cooper.com/photo_gallery37.htm
                      >>
                      >> Sincerely, Wayne
                      >>

                      >> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "galaxyimages1"
                      > <smandel@m...>
                      >> wrote:
                      >> >
                      >> > Warren:
                      >> >
                      >> > Read the whole announcement - there is going to be an East Coast
                      >> version.
                      >> >
                      >> > As to a poll - problem is, the guys who are willing to work on
                      >> this,
                      >> > all of us below, want to do so near where we live. We have
                      >> families,
                      >> > day jobs, etc. that would make it difficult to put these on in a
                      >> > location that is more than driving distance from us - in San
                      > Jose
                      >> or
                      >> > Philly. Unless of course, you want to send us a chartered jet

                    • Randy Nulman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2005
                        Agreed about his "family picture album" <G>....

                        Randy Nulman

                        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Bailey" <dcbailey@q...>
                        wrote:

                        > Yeah, I start to giggle now just seeing his name, before I know
                        what the
                        > message is.
                        > I lost his picture book of him and his extended family, I needed
                        that to
                        > show my family his real picture <G>.
                        > Dave Bailey

                      • jp922
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 3, 2005
                          To:
                          Wayne Cooper
                          Steve Mandel
                          Randy Nulman

                          Warren Keller is a serious imager. Yes, he made a mistake posting
                          the response he did, but he doesn't deserve the ridicule you people
                          inflicted with your images and comments. Steve, your first response
                          was appropriate for his mistake and it should have stopped there.

                          Jack Patterson

                          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Nulman" <rj.nulman@v...>

                          wrote:

                          > Please select the link below to see my answer:
                          >
                          > http://www.galaxyimages.com/baby.html
                          >
                          > Steve
                          >

                          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Cooper" <coopersx@c...>
                          wrote:

                          > > Please select the link below to view my question concerning the
                          AIC
                          > > East:
                          > >
                          > > http://wayne-cooper.com/photo_gallery37.htm
                          > >
                          > > Sincerely, Wayne
                          > >

                          > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "galaxyimages1"
                          <smandel@m...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Warren:
                          > > >
                          > > > Read the whole announcement - there is going to be an East
                          Coast
                          > > version.
                          > > >
                          > > > As to a poll - problem is, the guys who are willing to work on
                          > > this,
                          > > > all of us below, want to do so near where we live. We have
                          > > families,
                          > > > day jobs, etc. that would make it difficult to put these on in a
                          > > > location that is more than driving distance from us - in San
                          Jose
                          > > or
                          > > > Philly. Unless of course, you want to send us a chartered jet
                          > > get
                          > > > around in. ;-))
                          > > >
                          > > > Steve
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Warren A. Keller"
                          > > <warhen@z...>

                          > > I'm
                          > > you

                          > > <smandel@m...>

                          Conference
                          > > on

                          > > 2006.

                          > > the
                          East
                          > > decided

                          > > better
                          Conference
                          > > on
                          > > organizers

                          > > out
                          > > for
                          > > the
                          > > that
                          > > that
                          > > unable
                          > > the

                          > > Imaging
                          > > and

                          > > will
                          > > Coast
                          > > East
                          > > will
                          > > for

                        • Randy Nulman
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 3, 2005
                            Jack,
                            First of all, I do not think that Warren's post or question was
                            either a mistake or inappropriate. I think what you may not be
                            aware of is Wayne Cooper's occassional "self-depricating"
                            jokes...such as the one he posted here that wasn't really a response
                            to the thread at all, he just used the thread to add in one of his
                            jokes and it was to Wayne and his "joking" image of himself that
                            Steve and I responded. Believe me that it had nothing to do with
                            Warren's post which was pretty much over after Steve appropriately
                            replied.

                            Guess the problem with jokes is that if one is not familiar with the
                            comic or his style, things can get mis-interpreted. I think that's
                            what happened here and for that I apologize.

                            Randy Nulman

                            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "jp922" <jackpatterson@c...>
                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > >
                            > > Wayne,
                            > >
                            > > As you know, I consider you seriously "funny" and "sick" at the
                            > same
                            > > time <G>! This was another one of your funny posts and really
                            made
                            > > my day!!....Also saw Steve's response, which was equally
                            > appropriate
                            > > to this.
                            > >
                            > > Regards,
                            > > Randy Nulman
                            > >

                            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "galaxyimages1"
                            <smandel@m...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Please select the link below to see my answer:
                            > >
                            > > http://www.galaxyimages.com/baby.html
                            > >
                            > > Steve
                            > >

                            > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Cooper"
                            <coopersx@c...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Please select the link below to view my question concerning

                          • Wayne Cooper
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 7, 2005
                              Hi Jp and sorry I just read your post. I never even picked up on
                              Warrens mistake and his comment had nothing to do with my post. I
                              was really wondering if both conferences would have the same geust
                              speakers. My thought is probably not. The good thing is I live ony
                              45 min from Philly so no doubt I will attend...and hopefully plan a
                              vacation to take advantage of the West Coast Conferenece. That is
                              most likely the bigger of the two. Sorry and no disrespect to
                              anyone.The image I posted seemed kind of fitting to the question I
                              asked (that guy had a somewhat confused look). I was just adding a
                              new twist to message posting...all in fun and good sport.

                              Take care, Wayne

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > >
                              > > Wayne,
                              > >
                              > > As you know, I consider you seriously "funny" and "sick" at the
                              > same
                              > > time <G>! This was another one of your funny posts and really
                              made
                              > > my day!!....Also saw Steve's response, which was equally
                              > appropriate
                              > > to this.
                              > >
                              > > Regards,
                              > > Randy Nulman
                              > >

                              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "galaxyimages1"
                              <smandel@m...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Please select the link below to see my answer:
                              > >
                              > > http://www.galaxyimages.com/baby.html
                              > >
                              > > Steve
                              > >

                              > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Cooper"
                              <coopersx@c...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Please select the link below to view my question concerning

                            • galaxyimages1
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 7, 2005
                                Hi guys:

                                Yes, this was only fun and kidding around with each other. I thought
                                the "confused" picture was pretty funny and laughed - as i did at the
                                picture i posted of the baby crying - it was too cute to pass up. All
                                done in fun by both of us.

                                I do believe the East Coast conference will be a good one - and I know
                                the AIC in the West will be good too. ;-)) We are not "coordinating"
                                presenters so there will be a good spread of speakers from conference
                                to conference. Both will offer workshops, spearker sessions and
                                vendor booths. Go to one, go to both - have some fun, learn and enjoy.