Re: [ccd-newastro] Digital cameras for astro imaging

  • ragreiner2
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
      I have and so has Mark Hanson, who you know, done a lot of digital camera
      imaging. There is a gigantic digital camera group at this time, some 10,000
      members. It is digital_astro. There are hundreds of e-mails (300 to 700)
      weekly. This is a very diverse group of people with various interests and
      abilities. The posts are for the most part very low level but for a few
      dozen members who are very knowledgeable.

      I do not want to sound like a snob, but I think only a few of this interest
      group would contribute significantly to ccd-newastro or even know what was
      being discussed. The ccd- newastro group will get terrifically diluted
      and even overwhelmed if you encourage digital camera users to participate.
      I do not know how to get the best of digital_astro people into a new group.
      It would be worth while to have an advanced level digital astronomy group.
      The current group it way too big with way to much useless and highly
      repetitious posting. Note that they have actively discouraged CCD users and
      web cam users from this group. It is just too darn big as it is.

      Take care if you pry open this can of worms.

      Doc G

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
        Ron,

        I would be interested in Canon rebel XT experiences.

        Hugh

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don Waid" <dwaid1@b...> wrote:

        > Ron,
        >
        > I do not do much digital camera imaging, but with the quality of
        the cameras that are available, I think it is fair to include them in
        the group. I know some of the images I've seen are quite
        remarkable. It is an area of this hobby that many who cannot afford
        a dedicated high end camera can now take part in.

        > Don Waid
        > http://www.waid-observatory.com

        Canon 20Da to
        > image with and getting really good results. Is there any interest
        in digital
        > camera imaging here? Should we expand our scope to include more
        discussion
        > on this topic?
        >

        > Ron Wodaski
        > http://www.newastro.com <http://www.newastro.com/>

        of Service.

      • Ron Brant

          >I have been spending some time with a neighbor, who is using a Canon 20Da
          > image with and getting really good results. Is there any interest in
          > digital
          > camera imaging here? Should we expand our scope to include more discussion
          > on this topic?
          >

          > Ron Wodaski
          > http://www.newastro.com <http://www.newastro.com/>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Astronomy telescope Color ccd camera Ccd astronomy

        • Wodaski Yahoo
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
            I see your point. I am most interested in what can be done with a fairly
            serious effort; I can see that the general-interest level has already got
            its own group. What might work well here is to encourage postings that deal
            with the high-end and astro-specific DSLR cameras only. We can send folks
            who have a more general interest to the existing group.

            My concern is that those who are starting to get good results with DSLRs are
            going to need to learn how to do more advanced processing, and will benefit
            from understanding many of the topics we discuss here.

            Your comments suggest I should adjust the scope of my proposal to
            specifically cover DSLRs for astrophotography, so I will:

            Is there any interest in astro imaging with DSLR cameras here? Should we
            expand our scope to include more discussion on this topic?

            Ron Wodaski
            http://www.newastro.com

            >I have been spending some time with a neighbor, who is using a Canon 20Da
            > image with and getting really good results. Is there any interest in
            > digital
            > camera imaging here? Should we expand our scope to include more discussion
            > on this topic?
            >

            > Ron Wodaski
            > http://www.newastro.com <http://www.newastro.com/>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://www.eset.com
          • eja24601
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
              Ron,

              Given the qualifications mentioned, I would be interested, as I
              sometimes wonder if a DSLR may be a good substitute for imaging
              those bright objects that will seriously bloom NABG cameras. IOW, I
              have this nagging question, that of "can I use a DSLR as a
              substitute to an ABG camera as a complement to my existing NAGB CCD?"

              Eric

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@w...>
              wrote:

              > I see your point. I am most interested in what can be done with a
              fairly
              > serious effort; I can see that the general-interest level has
              already got
              > its own group. What might work well here is to encourage postings
              that deal
              > with the high-end and astro-specific DSLR cameras only. We can
              send folks
              > who have a more general interest to the existing group.
              >
              > My concern is that those who are starting to get good results with
              DSLRs are
              > going to need to learn how to do more advanced processing, and
              will benefit
              > from understanding many of the topics we discuss here.
              >
              > Your comments suggest I should adjust the scope of my proposal to
              > specifically cover DSLRs for astrophotography, so I will:
              >
              > Is there any interest in astro imaging with DSLR cameras here?
              Should we
              > expand our scope to include more discussion on this topic?
              >

              > Ron Wodaski
              > http://www.newastro.com

            • sc02492
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
                This group seems to deal with two broad categories of topics- 1) image
                processing, and 2) CCD imaging (which includes the technical aspects
                of CCD cameras, matching camera to scope, mount choices, etc.). As it
                stands now, there is nothing preventing someone with an image
                processing question to address it on our group, whether it is from a
                monochrome cooled CCD camera, one-shot cooled CCD camera, or a DSLR
                camera. The imaging processing considerations are generally
                (generally) similar across these platforms. I feel that it is
                reasonable to welcome participation by anyone having imaging
                processing questions, developing new techniques, etc. and specifically
                have no problem with DSLR participation, as long as the intent is to
                foster dialog regarding image processing techniques. That said, I
                would hope that we can also maintain the technical aspects of CCD
                imaging as the primary focus of the group.

                Steve Cannistra
                http://www.starrywonders.com

              • Wodaski Yahoo
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Thanks for the feedback. What I think we will need is someone to serve as
                  DSLR moderator for the group - someone with enough experience to offer
                  useful feedback and advice. If anyone is interested, contact me privately.

                  Ron Wodaski
                  http://www.newastro.com

                  I have been spending some time with a neighbor, who is using a Canon 20Da
                  image with and getting really good results. Is there any interest in
                  digital
                  camera imaging here? Should we expand our scope to include more discussion
                  on this topic?

                  Ron Wodaski
                  http://www.newastro.com <http://www.newastro.com/>

                  Service.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://www.eset.com
                • Wodaski Yahoo
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
                    Well, got to finish the present one first! <G>

                    Ron Wodaski
                    http://www.newastro.com

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
                      That's a good observation, Steve - in helping my neighbor work with his
                      Canon 20Da images, I've found that the image processing issues are very
                      similar, often identical, between the two imaging methods.

                      My experience is that the better DSLR equipment sits somewhere between the
                      mass of digital cameras, and the CCD cameras. But it's my feeling that the
                      DSLR imagers probably have more in common with the CCD imagers than with
                      other digital camera imagers. Hence my question.

                      Ron Wodaski
                      http://www.newastro.com

                      This group seems to deal with two broad categories of topics- 1) image
                      processing, and 2) CCD imaging (which includes the technical aspects
                      of CCD cameras, matching camera to scope, mount choices, etc.). As it
                      stands now, there is nothing preventing someone with an image
                      processing question to address it on our group, whether it is from a
                      monochrome cooled CCD camera, one-shot cooled CCD camera, or a DSLR
                      camera. The imaging processing considerations are generally
                      (generally) similar across these platforms. I feel that it is
                      reasonable to welcome participation by anyone having imaging
                      processing questions, developing new techniques, etc. and specifically
                      have no problem with DSLR participation, as long as the intent is to
                      foster dialog regarding image processing techniques. That said, I
                      would hope that we can also maintain the technical aspects of CCD
                      imaging as the primary focus of the group.

                      Steve Cannistra
                      http://www.starrywonders.com

                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@w...> wrote:

                      > I see your point. I am most interested in what can be done with a fairly
                      > serious effort; I can see that the general-interest level has
                      already got
                      > its own group. What might work well here is to encourage postings
                      that deal
                      > with the high-end and astro-specific DSLR cameras only. We can send
                      folks
                      > who have a more general interest to the existing group.
                      >
                      > My concern is that those who are starting to get good results with
                      DSLRs are
                      > going to need to learn how to do more advanced processing, and will
                      benefit
                      > from understanding many of the topics we discuss here.
                      >
                      > Your comments suggest I should adjust the scope of my proposal to
                      > specifically cover DSLRs for astrophotography, so I will:
                      >
                      > Is there any interest in astro imaging with DSLR cameras here? Should we
                      > expand our scope to include more discussion on this topic?
                      >

                      > Ron Wodaski
                      > http://www.newastro.com

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://www.eset.com
                    • Warren
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
                        Ron, et al,
                        I find this and other of my groups growing at an amazing
                        rate. It's getting hard to manage the traffic ( ask questions, get
                        answers, get images noticed, etc.) I think I'd suggest a split off,
                        or have the DSLR imagers go to the existing Yahoo groups:
                        Canon_DSLR_Digital_Astro, Digital_Astro, MaxDSLR, Digital 101.

                        Thanks, Warren

                        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Wodaski" <yahoo@w...>
                        wrote:

                        > I have been spending some time with a neighbor, who is using a
                        Canon 20Da to
                        > image with and getting really good results. Is there any interest
                        in digital
                        > camera imaging here? Should we expand our scope to include more
                        discussion
                        > on this topic?
                        >

                        > Ron Wodaski
                        > http://www.newastro.com <http://www.newastro.com/>

                      • Rick Wiggins
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
                          Hi Ron,
                          I have a Hutech modified 20D with clear filter and have been
                          experimenting with it. It has some very appealing aspects and is
                          very sensitive. I have found that the rpocessing techniques are
                          quite different. I am very interested in learning more about using
                          DSLRs, but again the techniques are different IMHO.
                          Rick

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
                            What is different in processing? I used my standard processing techniques on
                            the Canon 20Da images, with excellent results (which I will post sometime in
                            the next few days).

                            Ron Wodaski
                            http://www.newastro.com

                            wrote:

                            > I have been spending some time with a neighbor, who is using a
                            Canon 20Da to
                            > image with and getting really good results. Is there any interest
                            in digital
                            > camera imaging here? Should we expand our scope to include more
                            discussion
                            > on this topic?
                            >

                            > Ron Wodaski
                            > http://www.newastro.com <http://www.newastro.com/>

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            http://www.eset.com
                          • erdmanpe
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
                              Much may depend upon the luck of the draw, or what the group wishes to
                              become. Perhaps one experiment is being done on the Maxim group.
                              Ever since Maxim started its support of DSLRs, the topics have ranged
                              much closer to "how do I turn my computer on" than to questions of
                              more sophisticated use of Maxim in image processing or acquisition.
                              Doc G is right.

                              Peter

                            • dannysperry
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 2, 2005
                                Were we previously prohibiting or limiting such discussion? :)

                                dp

                                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Wodaski" <yahoo@w...> wrote:

                                > I have been spending some time with a neighbor, who is using a Canon
                                20Da to
                                > image with and getting really good results. Is there any interest in
                                digital
                                > camera imaging here? Should we expand our scope to include more
                                discussion
                                > on this topic?
                                >

                                > Ron Wodaski
                                > http://www.newastro.com <http://www.newastro.com/>

                              • Joe Morris
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 3, 2005
                                  I've been using a ST-7 for imaging and recently bought a Canon Rebel XT for
                                  wide field imaging. I would like to expand this group to include digital
                                  cameras.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 3, 2005
                                    No, but we were not encouraging it, either.

                                    Ron Wodaski
                                    http://www.newastro.com

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 3, 2005
                                      Hi Ron,
                                      I sent some differences via private e-mail, but here are some.
                                      1) Darks are more difficult to match because temperature is not
                                      controlled. They can be matched but must be taken under the same
                                      conditions as the lights fro best accuracy.
                                      2) Most DSLRs are color and therfore require taking care of the
                                      Bayer filter during processing for best results.
                                      3) The histograms are different than CCDs (in my experience) and
                                      therfore require different stretchig techniques.

                                      These differences are subtle differences in application. The
                                      processing principles are nearly identical.

                                      Thanks, Rick

                                      wrote:

                                      > What is different in processing? I used my standard processing
                                      techniques on
                                      > the Canon 20Da images, with excellent results (which I will post
                                      sometime in
                                      > the next few days).
                                      >

                                      > Ron Wodaski
                                      > http://www.newastro.com

                                    • Chris
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 8, 2005
                                        I agree with Ron on this one.

                                        I use DSLR's and have been since the D60 was first stuck behind a
                                        telescope in 2001. More recently I have migrated to Cooled SBIG CCD.

                                        I still image some objects with my DSLR and find all the techniques
                                        in the Zone Book apply to Digital Camera Images. You still need to
                                        apply darks, flats. You still need to stretch images and tweak levels
                                        and curves to bring out detail. You still need to and noise reduction
                                        to dim zone etc....

                                        Possibly the main differences are.
                                        1. Techiques to focus. (much harder with DSLR)
                                        2. Dealing with Darks in terms of the tools to perform dark
                                        subtraction without blowing holes in bright areas of your image.
                                        3. File sizes. DSLR Images require and extra step of converting RAW
                                        images to 16 bit Tiff files. These files end up being 36mb each. When
                                        you align, rotate and stack a large numbe rof these files you need a
                                        truckload of disk and memroy and a fast CPU if you dont want to be
                                        staring at an hourglass for long periods of time...
                                        4. Some DSLR users also create an artifical Lum layer and split out
                                        the RGB layers and then treat it just like a normal CCD Image in
                                        terms of processing.

                                        Other than that I dont change my processing techniques betweent the 2
                                        mediums.

                                        I dont think this group should turn into another support forum for
                                        DSLR imagers that as Doc G said tend to have a higher number of
                                        beginners that will flood this group with questions about "What is a
                                        dark frame or what is a flat frame etc...."

                                        Best Regards
                                        Chris Venter

                                        wrote:

                                        > What is different in processing? I used my standard processing
                                        techniques on
                                        > the Canon 20Da images, with excellent results (which I will post
                                        sometime in
                                        > the next few days).
                                        >

                                        > Ron Wodaski
                                        > http://www.newastro.com

                                      • hw_ngr
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 4, 2005
                                          Ron, I understand the concerns of some of the members that the group
                                          might be watered down by expanding it into digital cameras.

                                          But I can also see the other side to it.

                                          I have not been into imaging so far, but am seriously contemplating
                                          it. However, in the beginning, without experience, I do not want to
                                          invest in a high end CCD camera. For me, a camera like the Canon
                                          20Da, which can be used for both astro- and normal photography,
                                          seems ideal for now.

                                          I am a former professional astronomer (for a few years) and after
                                          having been absent from the business for a long time, I now own two
                                          telescopes, one of them a 12.5" Dobsonian, the other a 90mm Apo
                                          refractor (Tak Sky90). I would like to try the Sky90 for imaging of
                                          deep sky objects. I also have a Coronado 0.5A setup with SM90 filter
                                          + internal module, and, after having observed the sun for some
                                          weeks, I am more and more feeling the wish to document what I have
                                          seen, in an image.

                                          After purchasing the camera, I would appreciate a place where I
                                          could discuss DSLR astrophotography and the related image processing
                                          on a high level. I am a little afraid this will not be possible in
                                          other groups. I would therefore highly appreciate an expansion of
                                          this group into DSLR photography, so I could draw on the experience
                                          of the members, and hopefully, some time in the future, also
                                          contribute myself. I can see that this expansion should be done with
                                          great care in order to keep the level of the group, but I think it
                                          should somehow be done.

                                          Ron, I am very much looking forward to seeing your results with the
                                          Canon.

                                          Thank you and clear skies.
                                          Heinz, Japan

                                          wrote:

                                          > What is different in processing? I used my standard processing
                                          techniques on
                                          > the Canon 20Da images, with excellent results (which I will post
                                          sometime in
                                          > the next few days).
                                          >

                                          > Ron Wodaski
                                          > http://www.newastro.com

                                        • hw_ngr
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 4, 2005
                                            ps. I just had a look into the digital_astro group. There are
                                            actually quite a few interesting posts with lots of info about the
                                            Canon EOS 20Da, especially by Philippe Vercoutter from Astrolab in
                                            Belgium. He and his co-worker Dominique Dierick recently published a
                                            book about astrophotography with digital cameras, where they also
                                            test the Canon 20Da extensively. Here is the link to the free
                                            download of the book (unfortunately in Dutch, but all the tables are
                                            in English). Below it a link to a Powerpoint-presentation of the
                                            material in English. As these links are publicly accessable,
                                            therefore I believe it is ok that I post them here.

                                            http://tinyurl.com/c9dy6

                                            http://tinyurl.com/d4ar3

                                            Here are links images of M42 and M31 taken with the Canon 20Da:

                                            http://cohesion.astrolab.be/jsp/zoek.jsp?arg=20Da+M42

                                            Good material I'd say.

                                            Heinz

                                            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "hw_ngr" <hw_ngr@y...> wrote:

                                            > Ron, I understand the concerns of some of the members that the
                                            group
                                            > might be watered down by expanding it into digital cameras.
                                            >
                                            > But I can also see the other side to it.
                                            >
                                            > I have not been into imaging so far, but am seriously
                                            contemplating
                                            > it. However, in the beginning, without experience, I do not want
                                            > invest in a high end CCD camera. For me, a camera like the Canon
                                            > 20Da, which can be used for both astro- and normal photography,
                                            > seems ideal for now.
                                            >
                                            > I am a former professional astronomer (for a few years) and after
                                            > having been absent from the business for a long time, I now own
                                            two
                                            > telescopes, one of them a 12.5" Dobsonian, the other a 90mm Apo
                                            > refractor (Tak Sky90). I would like to try the Sky90 for imaging
                                            of
                                            > deep sky objects. I also have a Coronado 0.5A setup with SM90
                                            filter
                                            > + internal module, and, after having observed the sun for some
                                            > weeks, I am more and more feeling the wish to document what I have
                                            > seen, in an image.
                                            >
                                            > After purchasing the camera, I would appreciate a place where I
                                            > could discuss DSLR astrophotography and the related image
                                            processing
                                            > on a high level. I am a little afraid this will not be possible in
                                            > other groups. I would therefore highly appreciate an expansion of
                                            > this group into DSLR photography, so I could draw on the
                                            experience
                                            > of the members, and hopefully, some time in the future, also
                                            > contribute myself. I can see that this expansion should be done
                                            with
                                            > great care in order to keep the level of the group, but I think it
                                            > should somehow be done.
                                            >
                                            > Ron, I am very much looking forward to seeing your results with
                                            the
                                            > Canon.
                                            >
                                            > Thank you and clear skies.
                                            > Heinz, Japan
                                            >

                                            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@w...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > What is different in processing? I used my standard processing
                                            > techniques on
                                            > > the Canon 20Da images, with excellent results (which I will post
                                            > sometime in
                                            > > the next few days).
                                            > >

                                            > > Ron Wodaski
                                            > > http://www.newastro.com

                                          • hw_ngr
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 4, 2005
                                              Sorry, forgot to write down the second image-link:

                                              http://cohesion.astrolab.be/jsp/zoek.jsp?arg=M31+talma+vercoutter