What's the best short focal length refractor for imaging?

  • davidrossitter2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
      Hi everyone

      I have been imaging with a Meade 416xte on my 14" LX200 (with FR at
      times) and am about to get a SBIG St2000xm and cfw.

      I want to do some wide field imaging - and looking for an approx 400-
      500mm FL refractor that has enough back focus to take the camera and
      cfw.

      What would be the best route to go? Tak, Williams, Borg.... and what
      would I expect to need to pay for "as new" second hand?

      Any help appreciated.

      Thanks David
    • astroimage2002
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
        Takahashi FSQ 8). Nice scope and has a lot of "perks". 3800.00 new,
        3000.00 used, and you will not be unhappy. I just got a new one and
        LOVE it.

        Brian

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "davidrossitter2000"
        <david.rossitter@c...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone
        >
        > I have been imaging with a Meade 416xte on my 14" LX200 (with FR
        at
        > times) and am about to get a SBIG St2000xm and cfw.
        >
        > I want to do some wide field imaging - and looking for an approx
        400-
        > 500mm FL refractor that has enough back focus to take the camera
        and
        > cfw.
        >
        > What would be the best route to go? Tak, Williams, Borg.... and
        what
        > would I expect to need to pay for "as new" second hand?
        >
        > Any help appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks David

      • Wodaski Yahoo
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
          I recommend that you consider the entire package when picking a short focal
          length refractor. Optical quality is certainly a key factor, but also look
          at other things:

          * Cold weather performance. Some scopes can get pinched optics if you are
          imaging from, say, places like Minnesota.
          * Focuser. This is such a key component. The Tak FSQ-106 is the hands-down
          winner among the scopes I've tried.
          * Weight. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, mostly depending on your
          mount. If you have a nice capable mount, then a heavy scope will be good -
          it will be stiffer, have less flexure. If you have a lighter mount, you may
          have to choose a lighter scope simply so it won't put too great a demand on
          your mount.
          * Durability. You want a scope that will hold collimation. You also want
          one that won't simple dent or bend if you mishandle it by mistake.

          As you get feedback from different folks, keep things like this in mind. My
          personal favorite has been the Tak FSQ. In some respects, it's overkill.
          But, you know what? There really is no such thing as "too good" for any
          application. <G>

          Ron Wodaski
          http://www.newastro.com

          I have been imaging with a Meade 416xte on my 14" LX200 (with FR at
          times) and am about to get a SBIG St2000xm and cfw.

          I want to do some wide field imaging - and looking for an approx 400-
          500mm FL refractor that has enough back focus to take the camera and
          cfw.

          What would be the best route to go? Tak, Williams, Borg.... and what
          would I expect to need to pay for "as new" second hand?

          Any help appreciated.

          Thanks David

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://www.eset.com
        • ragreiner2
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
            I am in 100% agreement with Ron on the FSQ as being a superior telescope.
            It is probably the best 4" scope available at this time. You can
            ocassionally find one on Astromart used in the $3200+ range. In my opinion
            an excellent optic with a superior focuser.

            I can also recommend, for a slightly smaller scope, the William Megrex
            Triplet APO. This is an 80 mm scope of very good quality with a very good
            mechanical focuser. It is only about $1500.

            I have also had the TV NP101. It is optically excellent being, like the
            FSQ, a Petzval design. But the focuser is not robust.

            Doc G

            >I recommend that you consider the entire package when picking a short focal
            > length refractor. Optical quality is certainly a key factor, but also look
            > at other things:
            >
            > * Cold weather performance. Some scopes can get pinched optics if you are
            > imaging from, say, places like Minnesota.
            > * Focuser. This is such a key component. The Tak FSQ-106 is the hands-down
            > winner among the scopes I've tried.
            > * Weight. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, mostly depending on
            > your
            > mount. If you have a nice capable mount, then a heavy scope will be good -
            > it will be stiffer, have less flexure. If you have a lighter mount, you
            > may
            > have to choose a lighter scope simply so it won't put too great a demand
            > on
            > your mount.
            > * Durability. You want a scope that will hold collimation. You also want
            > one that won't simple dent or bend if you mishandle it by mistake.
            >
            > As you get feedback from different folks, keep things like this in mind.
            > My
            > personal favorite has been the Tak FSQ. In some respects, it's overkill.
            > But, you know what? There really is no such thing as "too good" for any
            > application. <G>
            >

            > Ron Wodaski
            > http://www.newastro.com

          • Randy Nulman
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
              I'll just add that I agree with what Ron and Doc G. have said.

              Best option is always the Tak FSQ. I've also heard good things
              about the William Optics scope. I've seen very good images with the
              NP101, but also have seen people quickly put them up for sale due to
              the focuser and other issues.

              If it fits in the budget, the FSQ is my number one
              recommendation...expensive, but holds it's value well...so you can
              also consider it a reasonable investment.

              Randy Nulman
              http://www.nulman.darkhorizons.org

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ragreiner2" <ragreiner2@c...>
              wrote:

              > I am in 100% agreement with Ron on the FSQ as being a superior
              telescope.
              > It is probably the best 4" scope available at this time. You can
              > ocassionally find one on Astromart used in the $3200+ range. In
              my opinion
              > an excellent optic with a superior focuser.
              >
              > I can also recommend, for a slightly smaller scope, the William
              Megrex
              > Triplet APO. This is an 80 mm scope of very good quality with a
              very good
              > mechanical focuser. It is only about $1500.
              >
              > I have also had the TV NP101. It is optically excellent being,
              like the
              > FSQ, a Petzval design. But the focuser is not robust.
              >
              > Doc G

            • Angela Greenwell
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
                You might also consider Stellarvue (www.stellarvue.com)

                They have an SV80s at 480mm fl that I know many have called the
                ultimate 80 apo. I believe a few people on this group have one. The
                focuser is a feather touch. The overall build quality is excellent.
                Customer rave about the customer support and the scopes are made
                in Auburn, CA. Their scopes range from 3-6" refractors. I have their
                SV130 and love it.

                Angela