Interaction between FocusMax and Robofocus. Lessons Learned.

  • Rick Wiggins
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
      Interaction between FocusMax and Robofocus. Lessons Learned.

      I learned something about the interaction of Robofocus and FocusMax
      this past imaging session. I believe that it is important to know
      and understand. I have briefly documented it below:

      I found the interaction as a result of an error while trying to
      focus. I was doing a FocusMax auto focus using a previously recorded
      focus file made for my FSQ and ST10XME. I use several different
      setups of scopes and cameras, so I have multiple system files for
      focusing. The program would either stop during focusing or after
      focus was found and give an error message that stated that; "the
      focus setting would exceed the maximum travel for the focuser". I
      retrained the Robofocus, so that I knew it was properly trained, and
      ran the focuser again. The same thing happened.

      I found that the FocusMax ".INI" file records a value for the focuser
      maximum travel. I am assuming that this happens when the FocusMax
      system file is initially recorded.
      I also found that at some point between booting up FocusMax and
      completing the focus algorithm, that FocusMax passes this Maximum
      Travel variable back to the running version of Robofocus. I confirmed
      this by substituting different numbers into the FocusMax .INI file
      and then checking to see the Robofocus Maximum Travel number changed
      from it's initial boot-up or trained value to the value that I had
      substituted into the FocusMax .INI file after running the FocusMax
      focus algorithm.

      Conclusions:
      FocusMax passes the Maximum Travel value in its .INI file to
      Robofocus at some point during a focus session.
      This can cause errors when using Robofocus system that has been
      retrained since the time when the FocusMax system files were
      recorded. This may or may not cause errors depending on what values
      are recorded at each session and could be intermittent if the number
      is close to a common focus setting.
      This error can be repaired in the field without rerunning the
      FocusMax Wizard or V-curves. The repair method, is to
      A) Boot up Robofocus first (prior to running FocusMax)
      B) B) Look at the value for Max Travel,
      C) Go to the FocusMax .INI files in the FocusMax Program files
      folder under System files and open the appropriate .INI system file;
      D) Edit the Max Travel value to the one observed in the initial
      booted Robofocus program;
      E) Close this file;
      F) Start FocusMax;
      G) Select the modified System File;
      H) Run Focus in FocusMax.

      I do recall that FocusMax states that the values must be the same as
      the Robofocus values, but don't recall any instructions on manual
      modifications to update FocusMax Systems Files when Robofocus has
      been retrained. There may be other values that also get passed, so if
      anyone knows about this, please post a reply. If anyone knows
      anything else related regarding this, please post. If I have made any
      errors, please inform me.
      I am placing this post in hopes of providing the information to help
      others that use these systems in the field.
      Thanks, Rick
    • mcmillanjr4221
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
        Hi Rick,

        Good catch. I've been bitten by this before and couldn't figure out
        why.

        I suggest you post this finding to the MaxIm group as Steve/Larry
        (authors of FM) normally monitor that group.

        Regards,

        Jim

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Wiggins"

      • Joseph Dunning
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
          Rick
          It will also mess with the step size, you should edit or add the line
          "RoboFocusStepSize=4" to whatever you need for step size.

          Joe

          <rickwiggins@e...> wrote:
> [...]
          > booted Robofocus program;
          > E) Close this file;
          > F) Start FocusMax;
          > G) Select the modified System File;
          > H) Run Focus in FocusMax.
          >
          > I do recall that FocusMax states that the values must be the same
          as
          > the Robofocus values, but don't recall any instructions on manual
          > modifications to update FocusMax Systems Files when Robofocus has
          > been retrained. There may be other values that also get passed, so
          if
          > anyone knows about this, please post a reply. If anyone knows
          > anything else related regarding this, please post. If I have made
          any
          > errors, please inform me.
          > I am placing this post in hopes of providing the information to
          help
          > others that use these systems in the field.

          Ccd
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ccd+camera&w1=Ccd+camera&w2=Astrono
          my+magazine&w3=Digital+ccd+camera&w4=Astronomy+telescope&w5=Color+ccd+ca
          mera&w6=Ccd+astronomy&c=6&s=130&.sig=cX26JgRWAN5RPBHKQoiC5A> camera
          Astronomy
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy+magazine&w1=Ccd+camera&w2
          =Astronomy+magazine&w3=Digital+ccd+camera&w4=Astronomy+telescope&w5=Colo
          r+ccd+camera&w6=Ccd+astronomy&c=6&s=130&.sig=U8V6c5IMKx2u5EarSEgJtA>
          magazine
          Digital
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Digital+ccd+camera&w1=Ccd+camera&w2
          =Astronomy+magazine&w3=Digital+ccd+camera&w4=Astronomy+telescope&w5=Colo
          r+ccd+camera&w6=Ccd+astronomy&c=6&s=130&.sig=0dzXHEaFYESNKGRcaUqYGg>
          ccd camera

          Astronomy
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy+telescope&w1=Ccd+camera&w
          2=Astronomy+magazine&w3=Digital+ccd+camera&w4=Astronomy+telescope&w5=Col
          or+ccd+camera&w6=Ccd+astronomy&c=6&s=130&.sig=CCEGMXWCs4_xd_ZsVnUWNA>
          telescope
          Color
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Color+ccd+camera&w1=Ccd+camera&w2=A
          stronomy+magazine&w3=Digital+ccd+camera&w4=Astronomy+telescope&w5=Color+
          ccd+camera&w6=Ccd+astronomy&c=6&s=130&.sig=mkeRjQiFEg6HkMZKWAIvEw> ccd
          camera
          Ccd
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ccd+astronomy&w1=Ccd+camera&w2=Astr
          onomy+magazine&w3=Digital+ccd+camera&w4=Astronomy+telescope&w5=Color+ccd
          +camera&w6=Ccd+astronomy&c=6&s=130&.sig=mzLU8Og3wivgovhxy1CW-A>
          astronomy

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "ccd-newastro
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ccd-newastro> " on the web.

          _____

        • Wodaski Yahoo
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
            I forwarded Rick's thorough analysis directly to Steve Brady for his
            comments.

            Ron Wodaski
            http://www.newastro.com

            <rickwiggins@e...> wrote:
> [...]
            > booted Robofocus program;
            > E) Close this file;
            > F) Start FocusMax;
            > G) Select the modified System File;
            > H) Run Focus in FocusMax.
            >
            > I do recall that FocusMax states that the values must be the same
            as
            > the Robofocus values, but don't recall any instructions on manual
            > modifications to update FocusMax Systems Files when Robofocus has
            > been retrained. There may be other values that also get passed, so
            if
            > anyone knows about this, please post a reply. If anyone knows
            > anything else related regarding this, please post. If I have made
            any
            > errors, please inform me.
            > I am placing this post in hopes of providing the information to
            help
            > others that use these systems in the field.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://www.eset.com
          • Chris Curran
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
              Joe,

              Beware: my RoboFocus will not calibrate if the StepSize is not 4.

              Chris

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Dunning"
              <josephdunning@b...> wrote:
              > Rick
              > It will also mess with the step size, you should edit or add the line
              > "RoboFocusStepSize=4" to whatever you need for step size.
              >
              > Joe

            • Joseph Dunning
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
                Chris
                Yes, mine too, anything less than 4 and it just buzzes at me.

                _____

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
                  Hi Jim, Ron, and Joe,
                  I did some more testing while imaging last night. Here are some new
                  observations:
                  1. Started programs by double clicking on FocusMax (this opens
                  FocusMax, Robofocus, and CCDSoft. Robofocus came up with max travel
                  set at 7700 (probably my last training number).
                  2. Ran FocusMax and Robofocus max travel value remained at 7700.
                  3. Due to a software lockup (my error), I had to close FocusMax. I
                  then reopened FocusMax without shutting down Robofocus or CCDSoft.
                  Then I noticed that the Robofocus max value had been changed by
                  FocusMax to 5000 (the number that I have manually placed in the
                  FocusMax .INI file for this testing). I didn't check any other
                  parameters, but will do so now that Joe has mentioned it.

                  New Preliminary Conclusions:
                  1. If started in normal sequence, it seems that FocusMax will use the
                  settings in Robofocus.
                  2. If FocusMax is started after Robofocus is running, FocusMax checks
                  the values and if different, rewrites the .INI values into Robofocus.
                  3. It is not clear to me how and when FocusMax acquires these values
                  in the .INI files and under what conditions it changes them. I had
                  assumed that they were written during First Use Wizard only, but that
                  may not be the case.
                  4. Many of the imaging software packages are not fail-safe or fault
                  isolated. By this I mean that failure modes can corrupt the data
                  files and control values and that failure in one program can be
                  propagated to another.
                  5. Certain combinations of FocusMax runs and other software package
                  runs can remove the "Autosave On" check in the checkbox in CCDSoft. I
                  have not fully trouble-shot this error, but it bit me last night for
                  the second time. I always leave the Autosave box checked, but have
                  found that certain sequences (probably more so when aborted), can
                  uncheck the box and then not reset it when they are done or aborted.
                  I have placed safety checking this box on my Must-Do Checklist before
                  any image sequence accordingly.

                  I will now be going back and carefully reading all the documentation
                  that I have with Robofocus and FocusMax to determine what I can
                  relative to operations of these values. I suspect at this point, that
                  we need a good understanding of the protocols, so that we can be
                  aware of things being reset. I will post any new findings.

                  Thanks, Rick

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mcmillanjr4221"

                • steve_e_brady
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
                    Hi Rick--
                    You are correct in your findings here. I, and other users, have
                    found that occasionally RoboFocus will hiccup change its step & max
                    increment numbers for now apparent reason. On several occasions I
                    lost an entire night when the values changed and I had stars that
                    were blobs in the morning (I observe unattended). After a few others
                    reported this some 3 years ago, this prompted me to add this feature
                    this check and reset if necessary. The initial value is recorded is
                    set when a Vcurve is run. I can see where the maximum travel would
                    impact someone who uses FMx with different scopes where the end of
                    travel would be different. This is why I choose to record the
                    settings in the ini instead of the registry. Thank you for sharing
                    the detailed instructions - we are seeing more and more users using
                    FMx with multiple systems.

                    Clear skies,

                    Steve