Lenses for Wide field

  • Warren
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hello gents,
      I'd like to score a couple fine lenses, perhaps used, for
      a CLA-7 which is available for either Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Pentax
      bayonet. My chip is only 9x7mm and I'm well fixed at 255mm. I'd like
      something ~50-80mm and more importantly 135-150mm.

      I'd gotten Pentax Takumars as they threaded on my SX nosepiece. They
      seemed to focus sharply at least at center, but the images are soft
      and with very pronounced red halos despite UV-IR blocking.

      Obviously manual is fine. Is there much out there with fine ED glass
      that's not exorbitant and w/o the features we don't need for CCD? Am I
      wrong- it seems to me that Nikon's 180mm 2.8 is one of the only older
      items listed as ED? Is Canon's L ED? Do we need to move to modern AF
      lenses to get the great glass?

      Thanks so much for your recommendations.

      Truly,
      Warren
    • Wodaski Yahoo
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
        There are probably a number of lenses out there, but one that stood out to
        me as a good value is a Nikon ED lens that can be had for <$500 used. It's
        the 180mm. Here is an image taken with it on the STL-11000 (60% of full
        size):

        http://www.bb-obs.com/img/Nikon180/NA_Pelican_avg3_60.jpg

        Ron Wodaski
        http://www.newastro.com

        I'd like to score a couple fine lenses, perhaps used, for
        a CLA-7 which is available for either Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Pentax
        bayonet. My chip is only 9x7mm and I'm well fixed at 255mm. I'd like
        something ~50-80mm and more importantly 135-150mm.

        I'd gotten Pentax Takumars as they threaded on my SX nosepiece. They
        seemed to focus sharply at least at center, but the images are soft
        and with very pronounced red halos despite UV-IR blocking.

        Obviously manual is fine. Is there much out there with fine ED glass
        that's not exorbitant and w/o the features we don't need for CCD? Am I
        wrong- it seems to me that Nikon's 180mm 2.8 is one of the only older
        items listed as ED? Is Canon's L ED? Do we need to move to modern AF
        lenses to get the great glass?

        Thanks so much for your recommendations.

        Truly,
        Warren

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://www.eset.com
      • Warren
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
          Ron,
          That 180/2.8 lens is considered to be a 'holy grail'. I had one
          but AVA adapters at that time didn't work to bring to focus. At this
          point, with the Mini Borg reduced to 255mm, I think that Nikkor w/b
          too close. I'm not finding EDs in a shorter range. Anyone out there
          know of some in the 50-150mm range?

          Thanks!

          Warren

          -- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@w...>

          newastro@yahoogroups.com] On
          > Behalf Of Warren
          > Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 7:38 PM
          > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Lenses for Wide field
          >
          > Hello gents,
          > I'd like to score a couple fine lenses, perhaps used,
          for
          > a CLA-7 which is available for either Nikon, Canon, Olympus and
          Pentax
          > bayonet. My chip is only 9x7mm and I'm well fixed at 255mm. I'd
          like
          > something ~50-80mm and more importantly 135-150mm.
          >
          > I'd gotten Pentax Takumars as they threaded on my SX nosepiece.
          They
          > seemed to focus sharply at least at center, but the images are soft
          > and with very pronounced red halos despite UV-IR blocking.
          >
          > Obviously manual is fine. Is there much out there with fine ED
          glass
          > that's not exorbitant and w/o the features we don't need for CCD?
          Am I
          > wrong- it seems to me that Nikon's 180mm 2.8 is one of the only
          older
          > items listed as ED? Is Canon's L ED? Do we need to move to modern
          AF
          > lenses to get the great glass?
          >
          > Thanks so much for your recommendations.
          >
          > Truly,
          > Warren
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://www.eset.com
        • erdmanpe
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
            Now that's a LOT of stars! Was this filtered? f/#?

            Peter

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@w...> wrote:
            > There are probably a number of lenses out there, but one that stood
            out to
            > me as a good value is a Nikon ED lens that can be had for <$500
            used. It's
            > the 180mm. Here is an image taken with it on the STL-11000 (60% of full
            > size):
            >
            > http://www.bb-obs.com/img/Nikon180/NA_Pelican_avg3_60.jpg
            >

            > Ron Wodaski
            > http://www.newastro.com

          • Wodaski Yahoo
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
              I took some images with the red filter, and some unfiltered. I don't recall
              which this was. You can look in the folder where that image is to see the
              others. Warning: some of those images are HUGE even as JPGs, 3 to 4 MB!

              Ron Wodaski
              http://www.newastro.com

              Now that's a LOT of stars! Was this filtered? f/#?

              Peter

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@w...> wrote:
              > There are probably a number of lenses out there, but one that stood
              out to
              > me as a good value is a Nikon ED lens that can be had for <$500
              used. It's
              > the 180mm. Here is an image taken with it on the STL-11000 (60% of full
              > size):
              >
              > http://www.bb-obs.com/img/Nikon180/NA_Pelican_avg3_60.jpg
              >

              > Ron Wodaski
              > http://www.newastro.com