RE: [ccd-newastro] astrometry and photometry

  • Greg Crawford
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2005
      >What is the best software for Astrometry and photometry?

      For photometry, there appears to be one application that has the edge on all the
      others - MPO Canopus. The reason for this is that it has the ability to
      internally calculate transformation coefficients, extinction coefficients and
      zero points, and to reduce instrumental measures of magnitude to measures on the
      standard system. So, if you are observing in B,V,R or I, you can use two
      filters, a few observations of some standard fields, and single filter
      observations of the target throughout the night, to generate measures that can
      be placed on the standard photometric system, and thus easily combined with
      those of other observers doing the same. There is no need to set up your own
      spreadsheet for this purpose, and to have the risk that errors will occur as
      numbers are moved from one application to the next.

      In addition, the application has a light curve plotter that can combine
      observations from different nights, and even different observers, to produce a
      light curve using a Fourier Analysis.

      If you happen to be doing photometry of asteroids, it also has sophisticated
      tools to take account of various aspects like phase.

      If you are observing binaries, it will also generate a file for compatibility
      with Binary Maker 2 and 3.

      This sounds like an advertisement. It's not and I don't have any commercial
      interest in the product. I just found that when I was trying to begin in
      photometry, this application had all the tools to get me there.

      See here: http://www.minorplanetobserver.com/htms/mpocanopus.htm

      This application also does astrometry, but I have not used it for that.

      - Greg