Re: [ccd-newastro] Printer Recommendations

  • E. Ayres
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2001
      oh ok no worries...

      Eric
      Bob Holzer <holzer@...> wrote: Sorry Eric. No, Woodruff is the Woodruff Boy Scout Camp near Blue Ridge, GA in the N. Georgia mountains. It's our club's best site, about 2 hours north of Atlanta.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: E. Ayres
      To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 10:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [ccd-newastro] Printer Recommendations

      as in Chris Woodruff?

      Eric
      Bob Holzer <holzer@...> wrote: Hi Dan:

      I thought the moon makes it up around 2:30, if so, Woodruff?

      Bob
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 20, 2002
        What printers do you guys use and recommend when you want to output
        hardcopies of CCD images or processed scans of photo images?

        I was looking at HP960cse, seems to have all the resolution the
        other models have, just maybe not as snappy. How about this versus
        lexmark, Epsen. I had heard good things about epson C80 that is
        2880 by 720, but lexmark claims thier 2400x1200 is 40% sharper.

        All seem pretty reasonably priced. My last printer was awhile ago
        and was actually about 600 bucks, but it is an older model, and I am
        not impressed with the sharpness of the print, I am not familiar
        with its specifications. It is a HP660C, and am guessing it was
        600x600.

        If I come accross an image I really want the best, I plan on taking
        it to a pro photo shop and getting it printed out on one of those
        nice 10k dye sublimation printers.

        Kevin
      • Bruce Prager
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 20, 2002
          For Photos, look at the Olympus P400. 8.5x10 in 90 secs, dye sublimation
          at an effective dpi of close to 3000.
          Totally seamless prints that are indistingishable from photographic prints.
          I use it all the time with a D1X.
          > What printers do you guys use and recommend when you want to output
          > hardcopies of CCD images or processed scans of photo images?
          >
          > I was looking at HP960cse, seems to have all the resolution the
          > other models have, just maybe not as snappy. How about this versus
          > lexmark, Epsen. I had heard good things about epson C80 that is
          > 2880 by 720, but lexmark claims thier 2400x1200 is 40% sharper.
          >
          > All seem pretty reasonably priced. My last printer was awhile ago
          > and was actually about 600 bucks, but it is an older model, and I am
          > not impressed with the sharpness of the print, I am not familiar
          > with its specifications. It is a HP660C, and am guessing it was
          > 600x600.
          >
          > If I come accross an image I really want the best, I plan on taking
          > it to a pro photo shop and getting it printed out on one of those
          > nice 10k dye sublimation printers.
          >
          > Kevin

        • Matt Russell
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 20, 2002
            Kevin,

            I use an HP 1220c printer. It prints up to 13x19" sheets @ 2400x1200 dpi.
            It does a really good job especially when you use hp professional papers.

            Matt
          • Timothy P. Long
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 21, 2002
              The Epson C80 is a fine printer, great for printing color documents,
              nice and fast (12ppm), and (at long last) Epson has introduced a system
              where you can change the color cartridges individually. However, the new
              system of cartridges doesn't go far enough compared to Canon and the C80
              is disappointing when printing images at photo-quality on glossy paper.

              For photo prints (including astro) I prefer the Canon BJC-6000. The
              resolution is not as good in theory, but its academic because you're
              resampling the images upward to print them anyway. Canon has had a
              better system of ink cartridges for some years now. The BJC-6000 comes
              with a large black cartridge and 3 individual color cartridges. The
              cartridges fit into separate print heads. This is where it gets clever.
              The whole print head is removable on the Canon. So if your print head
              blocks, you just replace it (unlike the Epson, which would mean a whole
              new printer). Furthermore, you can take out the black print head and
              replace it with another head loaded with photo-color cartridges. So by
              simply swapping the black for a photo-color head, you've converted your
              printer from (using Epson terminology) a color printer to a photo
              printer. With Epson, you have to buy 2 printers.

              In my own subjective head-to-head tests, the Canon BJC-6000 with
              Photo-color cartridge installed beat the Epson C-80 hands down. The
              black background was deeper and smoother and the colors more saturated.
              I was quite disappointed in the Epson as I've used Epson printers for
              many years and always been totally happy with them. But I'm afraid in
              this instance the Canon system wins.

              Regards,

              Tim

[...]

              Information stored on this server is private and confidential. Do not attempt to gain access to this server unless you have been authorized to do so. Unauthorized access attempts are logged and monitored. For further information, contact postmaster@...