Guiding error with ST7E

  • MMnic1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2001
      I would appreciate your comments. . . I image with a 10-inch
      aperture, at F10 and an ST7E. I use CCDSoft for camera control and
      image reduction. Auto-guiding is performed using the self-guiding
      capabilities of the ST7E.

      The tracking CCD/guider(the ST4 chip)has a pixel size of 13.75 x 16
      microns, which translates to approximately 1.3 arc-sec x 2 (I bin the
      guider at 2x2), or 2.6 arc-sec in my system. If my imager is binned
      at 3x3 (this translates to 2.2 arc-sec) and I'm attempting to
      guide within + or - 1 pixel with CCDSoft, then I'm trying to guide
      within a 2.6 arc-sec window. This should smear the image when the
      error is greater than 0.85 pixels (= 2.2/2.6) and when the seeing is
      less than 2.6.

      An important element of my question is if I bin the guider at 2x2
      does the guiding error reported by CCDSoft apply to this super pixel?

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2001
        I would assume that it does apply to the larger virtual pixel. I don't think
        CCDSoft ever sees the "real" pixels; the binning occurs in hardware.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com