Re: ST-7E

  • Michael Barber
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
      --- In ccd-newastro@egroups.com, "Chris Spratt" <cspratt@i...> wrote:
      > I asked the guys at SBIG but never got a straight answer. So here
      > goes.
      >
      > On the ST-7E there is a brass plug containing the anti-dessicant.
      > It is recommened that to revitalize the dessicant the entire plug
      > is baked in the oven. Fine.
      >
      > My original question and I can't find an answer. Does the brass
      > plug come apart so new dessicant can be added?

      On 9/28 I sent you the following answer to your question by e-mail:

      "No, just bake the whole plug - the desiccant stays inside."

      Wasn't that a straight answer? It is possible to pry open
      the small screen that holds the desiccant in the brass plug and
      replace it but it is not recommended. The desiccant we use is not
      typical silica gel, it is a special molecular sieve. It is far
      better to bake this desiccant and reuse it than to replace it with
      something inferior. Even if you have access to molecular sieve it
      would have to be baked just prior to inserting the plug into the
      camera anyway. Molecular sieve has a lower vapor pressure over its
      surface than silica gel and it recharges quite well when done
      according to the instructions.

      Regards,
      Michael Barber
      SBIG
      http://www.sbig.com
    • Daniel Doherty
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
        No, just bake the whole plug - the desiccant stays inside."

        At what temperature and for how long ?
        Dan
      • Michael Barber
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
          At 01:48 PM 10/3/00 -0700, you wrote:

          >At what temperature and for how long ?

          According to the ST-7E manual, Appendix B, "Regenerating the Desiccant,"
          its 350 degrees F (175 deg C) for 4 hours. You can go as high as 400
          degrees F if you trust your oven's temperature regulation. The solder that
          seals the plug melts at 460 degrees so baking it at higher than 400 is not
          advised.

          Regards,
          Michael Barber
          SBIG
          http://www.sbig.com
        • cspratt@islandnet.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2000
            Thanks. That was the answer I was looking for. Might be a good idea
            to have this in the manual (if it had been I wouldn't have asked the
            question) or on the SBIG FAQ page.

            Regards,
            Chris. Spratt
            Victoria, BC.