M16 - The Eagle Nebula in Ha - Quick and Easy...

  • Jay R. Ballauer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
      Howdy!

      Here's a real quickie. Although it's only a portion of a full color
      image that I'm working on, some objects look so good in black & white
      that you have to make a version of it. M16 is just one of those
      objects.

      This is only 60 minutes of h-alpha data pointed toward the city's sky
      glow. Still, it yielded some nice S/N. Just a pretty, pretty object!

      Taken with the 12.5" RC, Paramount, and SBIG STL-6303e camera.

      http://www.allaboutastro.com/m16.html

      Your comments are always appreciated!

      jay
      www.allaboutastro.com
    • nicolas outters
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
        Jay,

        This is a very nice image, noise is completely absent, I love the little black spot, the 3D impress
        is very well process.
        I wait for the color version :o)

        Nicolas Outters.

        site astro perso : http://www.astrosurf.com/nico.outters/astro
        site golf pro : http://www.golfdemornex.com
        > Here's a real quickie. Although it's only a portion of a full color
        > image that I'm working on, some objects look so good in black & white
        > that you have to make a version of it. M16 is just one of those
        > objects.
        >
        > This is only 60 minutes of h-alpha data pointed toward the city's sky
        > glow. Still, it yielded some nice S/N. Just a pretty, pretty object!
        >
        > Taken with the 12.5" RC, Paramount, and SBIG STL-6303e camera.
        >
        > http://www.allaboutastro.com/m16.html
        >
        > Your comments are always appreciated!
        >
        > jay
        > www.allaboutastro.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • sc02492
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
          Jay, that's an excellent image- M16 is too low for me, and my southern
          view is partially obstructed, so it's not an object that I can easily
          shoot. On high resolution your image almost looks a bit too smooth on
          my monitor, but this is admittedly a personal preference. Did you
          apply a smoothing program to this?

          Steve Cannistra
          http://www.starrywonders.com

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jay R. Ballauer" <jay52@e...> wrote:
          > Howdy!
          >
          > Here's a real quickie. Although it's only a portion of a full color
          > image that I'm working on, some objects look so good in black & white
          > that you have to make a version of it. M16 is just one of those
          > objects.
          >
          > This is only 60 minutes of h-alpha data pointed toward the city's sky
          > glow. Still, it yielded some nice S/N. Just a pretty, pretty object!
          >
          > Taken with the 12.5" RC, Paramount, and SBIG STL-6303e camera.
          >
          > http://www.allaboutastro.com/m16.html
          >
          > Your comments are always appreciated!
          >
          > jay
          > www.allaboutastro.com
        • Jay R. Ballauer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
            Thanks guys!

            Steve: I applied some smoothing only to foreground, where the S/N
            wasn't quite as good. But really, this object is so bright that S/N
            wasn't a problem in the rest of the image. Consequently, I ran a
            small amount of the high-pass filter in PS (1.2 pixels) and that's
            all the sharpening I did. Of course, this is unlike the vdb142 that
            I've been working on. I have 4.5 hours of Ha on it and it still
            looks like sandpaper. :)

            So, really, I didn't do too much to the Pillar area itself. Perhaps
            I could add some additional sharpening (unsharp mask or LR
            deconvolution). But I wanted to avoid the hard-edges I see too
            often in this object. Besides, if you look closely, it isn't
            lacking in detail. Therefore, I think what you may be seeing is not
            so much excessive smoothing, but the withholding of some sharpening.

            Thanks again,

            jay

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "sc02492" <sc02492@y...> wrote:
            > Jay, that's an excellent image- M16 is too low for me, and my
            southern
            > view is partially obstructed, so it's not an object that I can
            easily
            > shoot. On high resolution your image almost looks a bit too
            smooth on
            > my monitor, but this is admittedly a personal preference. Did you
            > apply a smoothing program to this?
            >
            > Steve Cannistra
            > http://www.starrywonders.com
            >

            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jay R. Ballauer"
            <jay52@e...> wrote:
            > > Howdy!
            > >
            > > Here's a real quickie. Although it's only a portion of a full
            color
            > > image that I'm working on, some objects look so good in black &
            white
            > > that you have to make a version of it. M16 is just one of those
            > > objects.
            > >
            > > This is only 60 minutes of h-alpha data pointed toward the
            city's sky
            > > glow. Still, it yielded some nice S/N. Just a pretty, pretty
            object!

            > > Taken with the 12.5" RC, Paramount, and SBIG STL-6303e camera.
            > >
            > > http://www.allaboutastro.com/m16.html
            > >
            > > Your comments are always appreciated!
            > >
            > > jay
            > > www.allaboutastro.com
          • Jamie
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
              hi

              the computer screen doesn't do this image justice....the resampling
              takes away alot of the detail and beauty of this image...would make a
              very impressive poster....anyhow...looking forward to seeing the final
              product..

              jamie