Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: CCDAutoPilot2 -- Highly Recommended

  • Matt Thomas
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 1, 2005
      Ron,

      > Have either of you guys contacted SBIG to learn whether there are, in fact,
      > differences in the AO-7 guide algorithms and mechanics and conventional
      > guiding? That might add something useful to the discussion.

      In terms of how CCDOPS implements AO-7 guiding, I have not. Same is
      true for CCDSoft and MaxIm. However, the mechanics involved are
      documented quite clearly in SBIG's driver library documentation. There
      are no special considerations for AO-7 usage.

      I do not believe there can be any special algorithms needed for AO-7
      guiding. If there are, then they should be just as useful for
      non-AO-7 guiding. On the PC side software, the goal is to read the
      CCD, compute the centroid, and send a new tip/tilt value to the AO-7
      mirror as quickly as possible. This is documented in the AO-7 users
      manual.

      > Otherwise, you two might take this up offline.

      This will be my last post on this subject.

      Thanks,
      -Matt Thomas
      http://www.astromatt.com/
      CCD Commander: multi-target unattended imaging
      http://ccdcommander.astromatt.com/

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Richard Bennion
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 1, 2005
        Is STAR2K controlled via Maxim and CCDSoft5 just like an regular
        autoguider or do you have to run special software?

        rb

        Richard A. Bennion
        CCDWare Publishing
        http://www.ccdware.com