RE: [ccd-newastro] new user help

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2001
      Sounds like you have some light pollution closer to the horizon, and you are
      also shooting through thicker atmosphere which tends to scatter the light
      more -- and there is also more turbulence near the horizon, further muddying
      the waters.

      A flat field would help deal with the "bright center" problem. Focal
      reducers almost always cause a central hot spot. The greater the focal
      reduction (and f/3.3 is an extreme amount of focal reduction), the greater
      the need for a good flat field.

      If possible, simply wait until M33 is higher. A light pollution filter may
      help, depending on the source of your light pollution. I use the Hutech LPS
      (Light Pollution Suppression) filter, and while it doesn't block everything,
      it blocks enough to show noticeable improvements for me.

      But if you are living in a light polluted area, and especially if you are
      using a reducer, learning to take good flat fields will make a huge
      difference in not only the quality of your images, but in how effectively
      you can process them. You will find yourself able to dig more detail out of
      your images if they have a good flat field.

      Ron Wodaski
      The New CCD Astronomy
      http://www.newastro.com