RE: [ccd-newastro] 15 megapixel CCD image of the Virgo Galaxies

  • Wodaski Yahoo
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
      That's a lot of galaxies, and so many of the them have clear and interesting
      details. Quite amazing if you look at the full-size version. Processing
      seems to be really spot on.

      Ron Wodaski
      http://www.newastro.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
        Paul,

        Thanks a lot!

        A few people have asked me to write up how I stitch the mosaic
        together, so I think I'm going to put it together. I think the
        mosaicing in Photoshop is real easy to do, once you know how. And it
        produces images with no seams.

        I'll post here when I have something to share!

        Friday, April 1, 2005, 6:07:53 PM, Paul wrote:

        > Matt, that's a really great image. Love the huge vista you've
        > assembled here. Don't see any seams on the mosaic, either :-)

        > Regards,

        > -Paul

        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Matt Thomas <matt_e_thomas@y...>
        > wrote:
        >> Well, did I get your attention? Ok, it is just another mosaic... :)
        >>
        >> This is a 9 panel mosaic of the Virgo (and Coma Berenices) galaxy
        >> region. It includes M58, M59, M60, M84, M86, M87, M88, M89, M90,
        > M91,
        >> plus many more.
        >>
        >> The mosaic was imaged in a single night, unattended while I slept
        >> using my CCD Commander software (link below) and my ST-2000XM
        > camera.
        >>
        >> Small image with details:
        >> http://www.astromatt.com/GalaxyPages/VirgoGalaxies.html
        >>
        >> 50% full size (~1MB):
        >> http://www.astromatt.com/GalaxyPages/Images/VirgoGalaxies-50.jpg
        >>
        >> Full size - if you can take a look! (~4MB!):
        >> http://www.astromatt.com/GalaxyPages/Images/VirgoGalaxies.jpg
        >>
        >> Comments and suggestions welcome!
        >>
        >> Thanks for looking.
        >> -Matt Thomas
        >> http://www.astromatt.com/
        >> CCD Commander: multi-target unattended imaging
        >> http://ccdcommander.astromatt.com/

        >> http://mail.yahoo.com

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • Matt Thomas
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
          Thanks a lot Ron!

          I was tempted to do some selective blurring and sharpening to the
          image, but it was too difficult to make the selections. So, all the
          detail you see is "natural" :).

          I too was surprised to see so much in some of those little galaxies!
          Quite amazing what an 80mm scope can do.