H-alpha Cone Region/ NB reprocess of ngc2244

  • michaelsherick
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
      I figured out that I had my SII and OIII filters swapped in the filter
      wheel for the previous ngc2244 narrowband image. This was a bit
      confusing to me during the processing phase. In any case, I reprocess
      the image data with the correct Hubble color pattern, with the
      following result.

      http://www.turbinelegend.net/ASTRO/6303E/STL-FSQ/stl-fsq.html

      You can do a "roll-over" with your mouse to see the difference between
      the two color patterns, where the Hubble pattern is R=SII, G=Ha,
      B=OIII. I'm still trying to deal with the gradient issues.

      As Richard Crisp pointed out -- the color for narrowband images is
      somewhat subjective depending on what you are trying to show. That
      certainly gives one a lot of artistic flexibility, which I like.

      Also, last night I imaged ngc2264 in H-alpha for a single 60 minute
      exposure with the FSQ/STL6303. The result is below the Rossette image.

      Comments and suggestions welcome.

      Regards,
      Mike Sherick
      http://www.turbinelegend.net/ASTRO/astro.html
    • Hugh Nunnally
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
        Hi Mike,

        I like the color of the yellow (green is the pleasing color) but the
        hubble shows alot more detail. Very cool.

        Hugh

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "michaelsherick"
        <michaelsherick@y...> wrote:

        > I figured out that I had my SII and OIII filters swapped in the
        filter
        > wheel for the previous ngc2244 narrowband image. This was a bit
        > confusing to me during the processing phase. In any case, I
        reprocess
        > the image data with the correct Hubble color pattern, with the
        > following result.
        >
        > http://www.turbinelegend.net/ASTRO/6303E/STL-FSQ/stl-fsq.html
        >
        > You can do a "roll-over" with your mouse to see the difference
        between
        > the two color patterns, where the Hubble pattern is R=SII, G=Ha,
        > B=OIII. I'm still trying to deal with the gradient issues.
        >
        > As Richard Crisp pointed out -- the color for narrowband images is
        > somewhat subjective depending on what you are trying to show. That
        > certainly gives one a lot of artistic flexibility, which I like.
        >
        > Also, last night I imaged ngc2264 in H-alpha for a single 60 minute
        > exposure with the FSQ/STL6303. The result is below the Rossette
        image.

        > Comments and suggestions welcome.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Mike Sherick
        > http://www.turbinelegend.net/ASTRO/astro.html
      • Rick Wiggins
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
          Michael,
          Excellent images again. Your are the One Hour Bandit! I actually like
          the original color scheme better, maybe because it is different.
          Unbelievable weather, huh?
          Rick