Re: Statistics on book

  • anthony@perseus.gr
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
      Ron,

      Something that I have been meaning to ask you for some time but
      somehow I have been forgetting ... do you have an example which shows
      the progression/evolution of the raw image from START to FINISH with,
      perhaps, a subtitle or brief description describing the processing
      done for each image in the sequence (ex. "subtraction of flat")?

      Anthony.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
        No, I don't have it all in one place. Reduction is in one chapter, histogram
        changes in another, and advanced processing in yet another. There is a
        reason for this. Reduction is relatively common across images. Histogram
        changes are somewhat common, but they differ for some types of images, such
        as planets. And advanced processing varies enormously from one image to
        another.

        But I will think about whether there is a common enough core of processing
        to put it together in one place. I can't do that in book, but I might be
        able to do something on the book web site.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com

        Something that I have been meaning to ask you for some time but
        somehow I have been forgetting ... do you have an example which shows
        the progression/evolution of the raw image from START to FINISH with,
        perhaps, a subtitle or brief description describing the processing
        done for each image in the sequence (ex. "subtraction of flat")?

        Anthony.

        --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@n...> wrote:
        > I did a full backup of the book, getting ready to send files to the
        printer,
        > and I came up with the following statistics on the files related to
        the
        > book:
        >
        > * Working files for the book (text and images): 6.95 gigabytes
        >
        > * Number of files in working folders: 1,584
        >
        > * Postscript output file for printing: 1.2 gigabytes
        >
        > * Total size of files submitted by readers
        > (for critique, for book): 569MB
        >
        > * Support files (intermediate versions; unused
        > screen captures, etc.): 3.3 gigabytes
        >
        > While writing the book, I did a bit of CCD imaging, too:
        >
        > * CCD Images taken, including processed TIFF
        > and Photoshop versions: 31.75 gigabytes
        >
        > * Number of image files and processed files: 13,790
        >
        > Now that's a project!
        >
        > Ron Wodaski
        > The New CCD Astronomy
        > http://www.newastro.com

      • Massimo Bernardi
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
          WOW!. But...how many pages in your bible?

          Massimo Bernardi

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
            The book will have a total page count of 480, 8.5x11" oversized. For those
            who are not aware, if I had gone with a "normal" sized book, the page count
            would have been about double that. <g> The book is just under an inch
            thick, and will weigh in a bit under 3 pounds.

            Ron Wodaski
            The New CCD Astronomy
            http://www.newastro.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
              I will be out of town until Monday. I am speaking at the "Imaging the Sky
              2001" conference in Salem, OR:

              http://home.teleport.com/~argo/its/its2001.html

              I will post links to my presentations for the conference when I return.

              Schedule updates:

              * The original printing schedule was from sales, and was off by a little
              over a week. The printer does not schedule jobs for the week of
              Thanksgiving, which was when sales had mine scheduled. The production
              schedule will be fore the week _after_ Thanksgiving. putting off shipping by
              a week to 10 days.

              Thanks to everyone who posted comments about the book for use on the back
              cover/inside front cover. There are so many I can't use them all, but I
              appreciated all of them. They buoyed my spirits during a challenging week.
              <g>

              With the schedule change, files will go to the printer on Monday when I
              return from the conference, not today as originally planned.

              Almost all of the download files are now available from a much faster
              server. The table of contents page automatically links you to the fast
              server for downloads of standard PDF and low-resolution PDF files.

              Ron Wodaski
              The New CCD Astronomy
              http://www.newastro.com

              WOW!. But...how many pages in your bible?

              Massimo Bernardi

              > I did a full backup of the book, getting ready to send files to the
              printer,
              > and I came up with the following statistics on the files related to the
              > book:
              >
              > * Working files for the book (text and images): 6.95 gigabytes
              >
              > * Number of files in working folders: 1,584
              >
              > * Postscript output file for printing: 1.2 gigabytes
              >
              > * Total size of files submitted by readers
              > (for critique, for book): 569MB
              >
              > * Support files (intermediate versions; unused
              > screen captures, etc.): 3.3 gigabytes
              >
              > While writing the book, I did a bit of CCD imaging, too:
              >
              > * CCD Images taken, including processed TIFF
              > and Photoshop versions: 31.75 gigabytes
              >
              > * Number of image files and processed files: 13,790
              >
              > Now that's a project!
              >
              > Ron Wodaski
              > The New CCD Astronomy
              > http://www.newastro.com

            • William D. Carroll
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
                Hey Ron,
                You need to get them to have a conference in Dallas.
                Would love to attend and meet you.

                William 'Doug' Carroll
                Arlington, Texas
                10" LX200 #128258