M97

  • Ken Crawford
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hello,

      We had a break in the rain and I was able to sneak some RGB for my Lum-Ha data of M97. I tried something a bit different as I blended the Ha along with the LRGB with a clipped layer mask allowing the Ha to leak though to only the Ha strong regions while leaving everything else alone. I am really getting used to using layer comps (they work well in DV editing) and in PSCS you can have nested layer comps up to 5 levels deep. Really helps keep my work organized.

      I noticed something interesting in processing this image. I shot this several years ago with a C14 and standard Sbig filters and I compared them to this image and I found lots more Blue signal taken with my AstroDon set. This was processed with my G2V weights and I was amazed how much more blue blends though the final image.

      I was also happy to get some decent detail in the little spiral galaxy to the left of the nebula.

      http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_NEBULA/M97_RC20_FC.htm

      As always, Thanks for looking....

      Ken Crawford
      www.rdelsol.com

    • rhoowl@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
        hi

        you know an image is good when you start picking up those tiny
        background galaxies..

        jamie

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Crawford" <dcoc1@s...>
        wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > We had a break in the rain and I was able to sneak some RGB for my
        Lum-Ha data of M97. I tried something a bit different as I blended
        the Ha along with the LRGB with a clipped layer mask allowing the Ha
        to leak though to only the Ha strong regions while leaving
        everything else alone. I am really getting used to using layer
        comps (they work well in DV editing) and in PSCS you can have nested
        layer comps up to 5 levels deep. Really helps keep my work
        organized.

        > I noticed something interesting in processing this image. I shot
        this several years ago with a C14 and standard Sbig filters and I
        compared them to this image and I found lots more Blue signal taken
        with my AstroDon set. This was processed with my G2V weights and I
        was amazed how much more blue blends though the final image.

        > I was also happy to get some decent detail in the little spiral
        galaxy to the left of the nebula.

        > http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_NEBULA/M97_RC20_FC.htm
        >
        > As always, Thanks for looking....
        >
        > Ken Crawford
        > www.rdelsol.com

      • dan kowall
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
          That is really sweet, Ken. I made an attempt on
          this planetary in January and I can appreciate the
          effort you made getting this to look so smooth. Your
          Ha technique was a good choice. The colors are quite
          stunning.

          dan kowall

          --- Ken Crawford <dcoc1@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > We had a break in the rain and I was able to sneak
          > some RGB for my Lum-Ha data of M97. I tried
          > something a bit different as I blended the Ha along
          > with the LRGB with a clipped layer mask allowing the
          > Ha to leak though to only the Ha strong regions
          > while leaving everything else alone. I am really
          > getting used to using layer comps (they work well in
          > DV editing) and in PSCS you can have nested layer
          > comps up to 5 levels deep. Really helps keep my
          > work organized.
          >
          > I noticed something interesting in processing this
          > image. I shot this several years ago with a C14 and
          > standard Sbig filters and I compared them to this
          > image and I found lots more Blue signal taken with
          > my AstroDon set. This was processed with my G2V
          > weights and I was amazed how much more blue blends
          > though the final image.
          >
          > I was also happy to get some decent detail in the
          > little spiral galaxy to the left of the nebula.

          http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_NEBULA/M97_RC20_FC.htm

          > As always, Thanks for looking....
          >
          > Ken Crawford
          > www.rdelsol.com

          > removed]

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Randy Nulman
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
            Ken,
            Was looking forward to something new from you...this is another
            winner!

            Randy Nulman
            http://www.nulman.darkhorizons.org

            wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > We had a break in the rain and I was able to sneak some RGB for my
            Lum-Ha data of M97. I tried something a bit different as I blended
            the Ha along with the LRGB with a clipped layer mask allowing the Ha
            to leak though to only the Ha strong regions while leaving
            everything else alone. I am really getting used to using layer
            comps (they work well in DV editing) and in PSCS you can have nested
            layer comps up to 5 levels deep. Really helps keep my work
            organized.

            > I noticed something interesting in processing this image. I shot
            this several years ago with a C14 and standard Sbig filters and I
            compared them to this image and I found lots more Blue signal taken
            with my AstroDon set. This was processed with my G2V weights and I
            was amazed how much more blue blends though the final image.

            > I was also happy to get some decent detail in the little spiral
            galaxy to the left of the nebula.

            > http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_NEBULA/M97_RC20_FC.htm
            >
            > As always, Thanks for looking....
            >
            > Ken Crawford
            > www.rdelsol.com

          • Wodaski Yahoo
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
              Awesome image, Ken - the S/N is superb. The Owl itself is extremely smooth,
              and look how deep you went on that nearby galaxy.

              Ron Wodaski
              http://www.newastro.com

[...]

              ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In
              low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/N_XolB/TM
            • Ken Crawford
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
                Thanks for the kind comments guys,

                I have been following the signal to noise talk here and I saw first
                hand on this image what the wrong kind of noise can do if you let it
                come though. I had to redo the RGB tiff because the first one had
                to much noise in the green channel and I went back and used a better
                noise rejection combine and all went well from there.....

                Thanks again,

                Ken Crawford
                wwww.rdelsol.com

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@w...>