Re: Laptop screen light box

  • Timothy Long
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
      I've been working on a similar idea. My inspiration also came from laptop
      screens, but rather than using the whole screen, I've been looking for a
      source of electroluminescent panels (the part that provides the
      illumination). I really want to make this work because the panels are so
      lightweight and compact. It might be perfectly feasible to build a light box
      right into the dust cap of your telescope. The trouble is, I haven't found a
      supplier of the panels yet. I'm currently following up a lead in Taiwan but
      I think the chances of getting a 1-off from them are small.

      As Ron mentions, the illumination may not be even enough, but with extra
      diffusion it might just work. The potential benefits make it worth at least
      experimenting with. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has a source
      of electroluminescent panels or who has already tried this idea.

      Regards,
      Tim Long

    • ChrisEGroup
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
        Hi,

        I have been trying this with my 8" SCT with mixed results. As Ron points
        out, the intensity of any area of the screen varies with the viewing
        angle. I have not found a convenient way to get the scope and the screen
        parallel. With that said, I have gotten some good flats. In this case
        good means: no obvious gradients, low noise and in this case, screen
        flats that are similar to "standard" flats. I check them by subtracting
        one from the other and also flatting one with the other. The result is
        always a slightly noisy but otherwise uniform image if the screen flat
        is made well.

        I am hoping that my new 4" refractor might have a better time of it
        since it should be easier align well and is much smaller in aperture
        than any screen dimensions.

        On a side note, my new 4" is the William Optics 80-mm refractor
        (reviewed in October Sky&Telescope). While I have not taken any CCD
        images with it yet (waiting for mounting hardware and my new mount)
        Causal viewing has been really enjoyable. Nice pointy stars with very
        little color aberrations (mostly a VERY slight smearing on bright
        stars).

        The moon, M42 and the Pleades as well as another cluster I have yet to
        identify all looked fabulous. Mars was a nice sharp round disk with a
        really nice "mars" red color. I have been using a 9mm, 26mm and 34mm
        Plossel EP's from my LX90 kit. I've had to use them with my 2x balow
        because of the one and only problem I've had: I can't get any of my eye
        pieces to focus on their own. In the supplied diagonal, I can't focus in
        far enough and without it, I can't focus out far enough. Very annoying!
        I assume this is an issue with most refractors? The review in S&T did
        not mention this.

        The refractor came with a nice set of mounting rings, a 2" mirror
        diagonal and a nice carrying case. The quality looks really good. I'm
        exited to have this as a complement to my 8" SCT. I would recommend this
        to anyone looking for a nice but reasonably inexpensive second scope,
        especially if your primary experience is with the SCT's. I am really
        enjoying the differences and the pros and cons of each.

        Chris

        PS - I have new pictures taken on the 25th posted at my site. Please
        feel free to drop by and check them out.

        -C

        Chris Levin
        Renton, WA 98058
        N 47d 25m 42.9s W 122d 9m 38.3s <http://www.rocklizard.org/>
        http://www.rocklizard.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
          One idea: use the laptop screen for illumination, but put one or two layers
          of translucent plastic over the front of your scope for a diffuser. Aiming
          will be less critical, and the increased distance between the source and the
          diffuser could help even out illumination more easily and repeatably.

          Ron Wodaski
          The New CCD Astronomy
          http://www.newastro.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2001
            Okay this is a long shot way over in left field, but you know those green
            colored panels you find in night lights, will that not work?

            -Eileen

          • Paul K
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2001
              This is actually how I've been doing flats for the past year. In
              order to get a more even illumination, I point the laptop screen at a
              nearby white wall. I then point the telescope at the wall. I keep the
              screen not too bright, so as to take a 20-30 second exposure. I leave
              the RA motor tracking while taking the exposure. The RA motion plus
              the fact that the wall is out of focus seems to produce very usable,
              evenly illuminated flats.

              -Paul

              --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@n...> wrote:
              > I would question how even the illumination direct from the screen
              would be.
              > You would need additional diffusers, since most screens are going
              to offer
              > different levels of illumination with different seeing angles. The
              extreme
              > sensitivity of a CCD chip means that it could well give you
              gradients even
              > if the screen _looks_ evenly illuminated to your eye.
              >
              > And of course this would only work for smaller apertures. <g>
              >
              > Feel free to give it a try; it's an intriguing idea. You can pick up
              > translucent plastic panels to use the additional diffusing layers
              at many
              > hardware stores, or at places that handle sheet plastic. A sandwich
              of 2 or
              > 3 such additional layers, with some air space between them might
              well get
              > the job done.
              >
              > Ron Wodaski
              > The New CCD Astronomy
              > http://www.newastro.com

            • Peter Moreton
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2001
                Tim,

                I purchased a couple of these illumination panels when I was in Hong Kong
                last time. I purchased small panels, 3 * 5cm sized, costing about ?3 ea.
                They take the form of a piece of thin card, with two metalised terminals. I
                have not had time to use them yet, and in fact have not been able to find
                details of the required drive circuits, (these devices do not appear run
                from low voltage DC). Does anyone know how to get these panels to operate?

                I am sure I could get these shipped over from Hong Kong if a few people on
                the list wanted one...

                Regards,

                Peter Moreton
                Rockingham Instruments (CCD Imagers)