Re: FW: Crab Nebula, high resolution

  • laurenc319
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
      hi Ron,

      Amazing resolution ! I also like the crab in red light. Hope you get
      some more arcsec seeing in the near future.

      clear skeis,

      Larry Citro

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@w...>
      wrote:
      > We had a brief period of very good seeing a few nights ago (before
      the snow
      > hit!). I have been trying to use such opportunities to get high-res
      > red-filtered images of M1 with the 20" RC. But this has been a
      rough run of
      > bad weather and only average seeing, so I haven't had much change
      to execute
      > my plan.
      >
      > I did manage one 15-minute image in arcsecond seeing, and a second
      image was
      > about 10 minutes of good seeing and 5 minutes of high clouds moving
      in.
      > Richard Crisp and Steve Mandel were at my house at the time, and
      they seemed
      > so excited by the results that I decided to follow their advice and
      post the
      > image even though it's not enough exposure time to get a really
      clean
      > result. <G>
      >
      > Here is a crop of the area around the Crab Nebula at 100% of full
      size:

      > http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_crop.jpg
      >
      > Here is the full image, at 80% of full size (about 400k):
      >
      > http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_80.jpg
      >
      > I had always taken for granted that there were no galaxies in this
      field of
      > view, but even with what I consider minimal exposure time for this
      > resolution, you can find a few background galaxies if your monitor
      is bright
      > enough. <G>
      >
      > Ron Wodaski
      > http://www.newastro.com
    • Rick Wiggins
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
        Ron,
        This certainly is starting out with a lot of fine detail. Great image.
        Rick

        wrote:
        > We had a brief period of very good seeing a few nights ago (before
        the snow
        > hit!). I have been trying to use such opportunities to get high-res
        > red-filtered images of M1 with the 20" RC. But this has been a
        rough run of
        > bad weather and only average seeing, so I haven't had much change
        to execute
        > my plan.
        >
        > I did manage one 15-minute image in arcsecond seeing, and a second
        image was
        > about 10 minutes of good seeing and 5 minutes of high clouds moving
        in.
        > Richard Crisp and Steve Mandel were at my house at the time, and
        they seemed
        > so excited by the results that I decided to follow their advice and
        post the
        > image even though it's not enough exposure time to get a really
        clean
        > result. <G>
        >
        > Here is a crop of the area around the Crab Nebula at 100% of full
        size:

        > http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_crop.jpg
        >
        > Here is the full image, at 80% of full size (about 400k):
        >
        > http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_80.jpg
        >
        > I had always taken for granted that there were no galaxies in this
        field of
        > view, but even with what I consider minimal exposure time for this
        > resolution, you can find a few background galaxies if your monitor
        is bright
        > enough. <G>
        >
        > Ron Wodaski
        > http://www.newastro.com
      • Ron Stanley
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
          Outstanding image Ron. Are you going to do an RGB?

          Regards,
          Ron Stanley

          Wodaski Yahoo wrote:

          >We had a brief period of very good seeing a few nights ago (before the snow
          >hit!). I have been trying to use such opportunities to get high-res
          >red-filtered images of M1 with the 20" RC. But this has been a rough run of
          >bad weather and only average seeing, so I haven't had much change to execute
          >my plan.
          >
          >I did manage one 15-minute image in arcsecond seeing, and a second image was
          >about 10 minutes of good seeing and 5 minutes of high clouds moving in.
          >Richard Crisp and Steve Mandel were at my house at the time, and they seemed
          >so excited by the results that I decided to follow their advice and post the
          >image even though it's not enough exposure time to get a really clean
          >result. <G>
          >
          >Here is a crop of the area around the Crab Nebula at 100% of full size:
          >
          >http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_crop.jpg
          >
          >Here is the full image, at 80% of full size (about 400k):
          >
          >http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_80.jpg
          >
          >I had always taken for granted that there were no galaxies in this field of
          >view, but even with what I consider minimal exposure time for this
          >resolution, you can find a few background galaxies if your monitor is bright
          >enough. <G>
          >
          >Ron Wodaski
          >http://www.newastro.com
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Randy Nulman
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
            Very impressive, Ron!
            The structure _within_ the filaments is outstanding.

            Randy Nulman
            http://www.nulman.darkhorizons.org

            wrote:
            > We had a brief period of very good seeing a few nights ago (before
            the snow
            > hit!). I have been trying to use such opportunities to get high-res
            > red-filtered images of M1 with the 20" RC. But this has been a
            rough run of
            > bad weather and only average seeing, so I haven't had much change
            to execute
            > my plan.
            >
            > I did manage one 15-minute image in arcsecond seeing, and a second
            image was
            > about 10 minutes of good seeing and 5 minutes of high clouds
            moving in.
            > Richard Crisp and Steve Mandel were at my house at the time, and
            they seemed
            > so excited by the results that I decided to follow their advice
            and post the
            > image even though it's not enough exposure time to get a really
            clean
            > result. <G>
            >
            > Here is a crop of the area around the Crab Nebula at 100% of full
            size:

            > http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_crop.jpg
            >
            > Here is the full image, at 80% of full size (about 400k):
            >
            > http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_80.jpg
            >
            > I had always taken for granted that there were no galaxies in this
            field of
            > view, but even with what I consider minimal exposure time for this
            > resolution, you can find a few background galaxies if your monitor
            is bright
            > enough. <G>
            >
            > Ron Wodaski
            > http://www.newastro.com
          • Wodaski Yahoo
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
              Thanks very much to all who responded. Even though we have pretty good
              seeing here most of the time, we sometimes go through long stretches of
              rough seeing or bad weather - like the last 6 months or so. Of course,
              "rough seeing" up on the ridge here is still better than anything I ever got
              when I was imaging in Seattle, so I's a bit of hubris to compalain. <G>

              Ron Wodaski
              http://www.newastro.com

              wrote:
              > We had a brief period of very good seeing a few nights ago (before
              the snow
              > hit!). I have been trying to use such opportunities to get high-res
              > red-filtered images of M1 with the 20" RC. But this has been a
              rough run of
              > bad weather and only average seeing, so I haven't had much change
              to execute
              > my plan.
              >
              > I did manage one 15-minute image in arcsecond seeing, and a second
              image was
              > about 10 minutes of good seeing and 5 minutes of high clouds moving
              in.
              > Richard Crisp and Steve Mandel were at my house at the time, and
              they seemed
              > so excited by the results that I decided to follow their advice and
              post the
              > image even though it's not enough exposure time to get a really
              clean
              > result. <G>
              >
              > Here is a crop of the area around the Crab Nebula at 100% of full
              size:

              > http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_crop.jpg
              >
              > Here is the full image, at 80% of full size (about 400k):
              >
              > http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_80.jpg
              >
              > I had always taken for granted that there were no galaxies in this
              field of
              > view, but even with what I consider minimal exposure time for this
              > resolution, you can find a few background galaxies if your monitor
              is bright
              > enough. <G>
              >
              > Ron Wodaski
              > http://www.newastro.com

              ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In
              low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/N_XolB/TM
            • Wodaski Yahoo
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
                I don't have plans for a new RGB yet. I'll see how much data I can collect.
                It might take me years to get enough RGB data at the current rate of data
                acquisition. <G>

                Ron Wodaski
                http://www.newastro.com

                Wodaski Yahoo wrote:

                >We had a brief period of very good seeing a few nights ago (before the
                >snow hit!). I have been trying to use such opportunities to get
                >high-res red-filtered images of M1 with the 20" RC. But this has been a
                >rough run of bad weather and only average seeing, so I haven't had much
                >change to execute my plan.
                >
                >I did manage one 15-minute image in arcsecond seeing, and a second
                >image was about 10 minutes of good seeing and 5 minutes of high clouds
                moving in.
                >Richard Crisp and Steve Mandel were at my house at the time, and they
                >seemed so excited by the results that I decided to follow their advice
                >and post the image even though it's not enough exposure time to get a
                >really clean result. <G>
                >
                >Here is a crop of the area around the Crab Nebula at 100% of full size:
                >
                >http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_crop.jpg
                >
                >Here is the full image, at 80% of full size (about 400k):
                >
                >http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/Nebulae/M1_avg2_80.jpg
                >
                >I had always taken for granted that there were no galaxies in this
                >field of view, but even with what I consider minimal exposure time for
                >this resolution, you can find a few background galaxies if your monitor
                >is bright enough. <G>
                >
                >Ron Wodaski
                >http://www.newastro.com
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/N_XolB/TM