M77

  • Ken Crawford
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 13, 2005
      Hello,

      My attempt at M77. My goal was to show as much detail as possible
      and show the outer halo. It was enjoyable and a challenge to
      process this data because of the difference in range. I had to
      shoot the RGB at 90% humidity, I now have an idea what it is like to
      image from Florida except the dew was freezing on the equipment :)

      http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_GALAXIES/M77_RC20_FC.htm

      Thanks for looking,

      Ken Crawford
      www.rdelsol.com
    • Wayne Cooper
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 13, 2005
        That image is utterly fantastic. I did notice under the technical
        data it says M81. That detail is incredibe and the halo is very much
        present. I bumped my moitors resolution up and down so I could get a
        real good look. That is great. Take care, Wayne

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Crawford" <dcoc1@s...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > My attempt at M77. My goal was to show as much detail as possible
        > and show the outer halo. It was enjoyable and a challenge to
        > process this data because of the difference in range. I had to
        > shoot the RGB at 90% humidity, I now have an idea what it is like
        > image from Florida except the dew was freezing on the equipment :)
        >
        > http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_GALAXIES/M77_RC20_FC.htm
        >
        > Thanks for looking,
        >
        > Ken Crawford
        > www.rdelsol.com
      • Paul K
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 13, 2005
          Hi Ken,

          For a minute I was thinking how amazing it was to see the dust lane
          details in the outer arms of M77, something I've not seen before, but
          then I noticed dust lane details in the outer arms of a few of tiny
          surrounding galaxies, and that just blew me away! Very cool shot :)

          Regards,

          -Paul

          wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > My attempt at M77. My goal was to show as much detail as possible
          > and show the outer halo. It was enjoyable and a challenge to
          > process this data because of the difference in range. I had to
          > shoot the RGB at 90% humidity, I now have an idea what it is like
          > image from Florida except the dew was freezing on the equipment :)
          >
          > http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_GALAXIES/M77_RC20_FC.htm
          >
          > Thanks for looking,
          >
          > Ken Crawford
          > www.rdelsol.com
        • Michael Sherick

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 13, 2005
              Awesome image, Ken. Has really excellent detail. Nice and deep, too; you not
              only captured that outer portion of the galaxy, you got some color in there,
              too.

              My attempt at M77. My goal was to show as much detail as possible and show
              the outer halo. It was enjoyable and a challenge to process this data
              because of the difference in range. I had to shoot the RGB at 90% humidity,
              I now have an idea what it is like to image from Florida except the dew was
              freezing on the equipment :)

              http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_GALAXIES/M77_RC20_FC.htm

              Thanks for looking,

              Ken Crawford
              www.rdelsol.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Ken Crawford
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 13, 2005
                Thanks for all the kind comments and encouragement...

                Ken Crawford

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski - Yahoo" <yahoo@w...>
                wrote:
                > Awesome image, Ken. Has really excellent detail. Nice and deep,
                too; you not
                > only captured that outer portion of the galaxy, you got some color
                in there,
                > too.

              • rdcrisp
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 13, 2005
                  wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > My attempt at M77. My goal was to show as much detail as possible
                  > and show the outer halo. It was enjoyable and a challenge to
                  > process this data because of the difference in range. I had to
                  > shoot the RGB at 90% humidity, I now have an idea what it is like
                  > image from Florida except the dew was freezing on the equipment :)
                  >
                  > http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_GALAXIES/M77_RC20_FC.htm

                  nice job Ken

                  nice to have some clear skies for a change.
                • Rick Wiggins
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 14, 2005
                    Ken,
                    Very nice image and well done on the procesing. You did get a lot of
                    detail.
                    Cool,
                    Rick

                    wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > My attempt at M77. My goal was to show as much detail as possible
                    > and show the outer halo. It was enjoyable and a challenge to
                    > process this data because of the difference in range. I had to
                    > shoot the RGB at 90% humidity, I now have an idea what it is like
                    > image from Florida except the dew was freezing on the equipment :)
                    >
                    > http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_GALAXIES/M77_RC20_FC.htm
                    >
                    > Thanks for looking,
                    >
                    > Ken Crawford
                    > www.rdelsol.com
                  • Mike Ford
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 14, 2005
                      Nice image, Ken. We just got our 20" about a month ago and with the wizardry
                      of John Smith, got it aligned, collimated, etc in one night. Now, I can start
                      getting these nice images like all of you, if I can get my high school
                      students out of the observatory.

                      Quoting Ken Crawford <dcoc1@...>:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > My attempt at M77. My goal was to show as much detail as possible
                      > and show the outer halo. It was enjoyable and a challenge to
                      > process this data because of the difference in range. I had to
                      > shoot the RGB at 90% humidity, I now have an idea what it is like to
                      > image from Florida except the dew was freezing on the equipment :)
                      >
                      > http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_GALAXIES/M77_RC20_FC.htm
                      >
                      > Thanks for looking,
                      >
                      > Ken Crawford
                      > www.rdelsol.com
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Ken Crawford
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 14, 2005
                        Congrats on the new 20" .... John really knows his stuff... You
                        will enjoy using that RCOS.

                        Ken Crawford

                        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Ford <mford@h...> wrote:
                        > Nice image, Ken. We just got our 20" about a month ago and with
                        the wizardry
                        > of John Smith, got it aligned, collimated, etc in one night. Now,
                        I can start
                        > getting these nice images like all of you, if I can get my high
                        school
                        > students out of the observatory.
                        >

                        > Quoting Ken Crawford <dcoc1@s...>:
                        >

                        > > Hello,
                        > >
                        > > My attempt at M77. My goal was to show as much detail as
                        possible
                        > > and show the outer halo. It was enjoyable and a challenge to
                        > > process this data because of the difference in range. I had to
                        > > shoot the RGB at 90% humidity, I now have an idea what it is
                        like to
                        > > image from Florida except the dew was freezing on the
                        equipment :)

                        > > http://www.rdelsol.com/RC20/RC_GALAXIES/M77_RC20_FC.htm
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for looking,
                        > >
                        > > Ken Crawford
                        > > www.rdelsol.com
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Bernard Miller
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 19

                          Hi,

                          This is an image of M77. It is a barred spiral galaxy about 47 million light years away in the constellation Cetus. It is an active galaxy, defined as one with an active galactic nucleus. An active galactic nucleus (AGN) is a compact region at the center of a galaxy that has a much higher than normal luminosity over at least some portion—and possibly all—of the electromagnetic spectrum, with characteristics indicating that the excess luminosity is not produced by stars. Such excess non-stellar emission has been observed in the radio, microwave, infrared, optical, ultra-violet, X-ray and gamma ray wavebands. The radiation from an AGN is believed to be a result of accretion of matter by a supermassive black hole at the center of its host galaxy

                          Comments and suggestions appreciated.

                          httP://www.azstarman.net/CDK/M77.htm

                          Thanks,

                          Bernard

                        • Jason Ware

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 19

                              Bernard,

                              Very nicely done!  This is a difficult object to capture and process and you accomplished the task well.

                              Don

                              http://www.waid-observatory.com