RE: [ccd-newastro] Re: Problem with DeBloomer

  • Wodaski Yahoo
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 30, 2004
      That, of course, is what happens when you make a quick, simple change.
      Nothing is every quite as simple as think it is going to be...

      Ron Wodaski
      The New CCD Astronomy
      http://www.newastro.com/ipb

      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
        While we are on the subject of the Debloomer -- I downloaded the
        free version to get an idea of how well it worked in cleaning up
        some small blooms using my new ST8XME. I use CCDsoft.

        It seemed to work only fair -- with small residues of the blooms
        left. I thought I would try to adjust the blooming limit and the
        star limit. These are greyed out and no clicking, right clicking,
        left clicking, whatever would serve to adjust them. Is this user
        error? Or can these fields be adjusted in the non-free distributed
        version?

        wrote:
        > That, of course, is what happens when you make a quick, simple
        change.
        > Nothing is every quite as simple as think it is going to be...
        >

        > Ron Wodaski
        > The New CCD Astronomy
        > http://www.newastro.com/ipb

        newastro/files/DeBloomer_error.jpg

        > You keep saying that this should work. What am I doing wrong?
        >
        > Allen G.
        >
        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@n...>
        > wrote:
        > > I just re-published the CCDSoft DeBloomer, version 1.3.7, to
        make
        > sure that
        > > the latest features are out there. Please make a note of this on
        > your web
        > > page.
        > >
        > > Latest version can be downloaded from here:
        > >
        > > http://www.newastro.com/newastro/downloads/products.asp
        > >

        > > Ron Wodaski
        > > The New CCD Astronomy
        > > http://www.newastro.com/ipb

      • Rick Wiggins
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
          Are you running the debloomer first before any other processing
          including dark frame, flats, alignment, etc? I have found that the
          debloomer works best on the original raw FITs image. When I ran it
          after some other processing, I got some unfinished blooms. Just my 2
          cents.
          Rick

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ralldredge2001"
          <ralldredge@p...> wrote:

          > While we are on the subject of the Debloomer -- I downloaded the
          > free version to get an idea of how well it worked in cleaning up
          > some small blooms using my new ST8XME. I use CCDsoft.
          >
          > It seemed to work only fair -- with small residues of the blooms
          > left. I thought I would try to adjust the blooming limit and the
          > star limit. These are greyed out and no clicking, right clicking,
          > left clicking, whatever would serve to adjust them. Is this user
          > error? Or can these fields be adjusted in the non-free distributed
          > version?
          >
          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@n...>
          > wrote:
          > > That, of course, is what happens when you make a quick, simple
          > change.
          > > Nothing is every quite as simple as think it is going to be...
          > >

          > > Ron Wodaski
          > > The New CCD Astronomy
          > > http://www.newastro.com/ipb

        • Wodaski Yahoo
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
            Uncheck "Automatic Limits".

            Ron Wodaski
            The New CCD Astronomy
            http://www.newastro.com/ipb

            wrote:
            > That, of course, is what happens when you make a quick, simple
            change.
            > Nothing is every quite as simple as think it is going to be...
            >

            > Ron Wodaski
            > The New CCD Astronomy
            > http://www.newastro.com/ipb

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://www.nod32.com
          • aajohnah
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
              Rick,

              I use it after my reductions
              With large blooms I get some residual on the image from the blooms. Nothing
              is perfect. After I combine all the images if I have some ghost blooms left
              over I go into PhotoShop and just take care of the little that is left.
              Bets the heck out of doing is all by hand

              I find that Ron's De-bloomer is the best thing out there for blooms

              Mark
              www.aajonahfish.com/astronomyhaven.htm

              > Are you running the debloomer first before any other processing
              > including dark frame, flats, alignment, etc? I have found that the
              > debloomer works best on the original raw FITs image. When I ran it
              > after some other processing, I got some unfinished blooms. Just my 2
              > cents.
              > Rick
              >
              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ralldredge2001"
              > <ralldredge@p...> wrote:
              >>
              >> While we are on the subject of the Debloomer -- I downloaded the
              >> free version to get an idea of how well it worked in cleaning up
              >> some small blooms using my new ST8XME. I use CCDsoft.
              >>
              >> It seemed to work only fair -- with small residues of the blooms
              >> left. I thought I would try to adjust the blooming limit and the
              >> star limit. These are greyed out and no clicking, right clicking,
              >> left clicking, whatever would serve to adjust them. Is this user
              >> error? Or can these fields be adjusted in the non-free distributed
              >> version?
              >>
              >> --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@n...>
              >> wrote:
              >> > That, of course, is what happens when you make a quick, simple
              >> change.
              >> > Nothing is every quite as simple as think it is going to be...
              >> >

              >> > Ron Wodaski
              >> > The New CCD Astronomy
              >> > http://www.newastro.com/ipb

            • gilchriswa
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
                Ron,

                I still can't get it to work. I checked the Apply to folder box,
                and then clicked the button with the three dots. The select input
                folder dialog box comes up, and I select the reduced_luminance
                folder and click the open button and then the save button. The box
                then disappears. When I click DeBloom, nothing happens. I looked
                in the DeBloomer document, and couldn't find anything about
                processing folders of images. What is the procedure here?

                Allen

                wrote:
                > The feature should work; it is just that error message that I
                forgot to
                > remove. Click the button with three dots to tell DeBloomer where
                to find the
                > files you want debloomed. I'll do a new version that cleans up
                that error
                > message. I guess I move my mouse to fast; I failed to notice that
                the error
                > message was still popping up! Sigh - the life of a programmer, I
                guess. <G>

                > Ron Wodaski
                > The New CCD Astronomy
                > http://www.newastro.com/ipb

              • Rick Wiggins
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                  Mark,
                  I agree that it works very well. If you get a chance, try it prior to
                  any adjustments and see if the residuals are as noticeable. It does
                  seem to work better for me, but I have not used it that many times
                  yet.
                  Rick

                • Wodaski Yahoo
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                    That's all that should be required to make it work - check the Apply to box,
                    select the folder, and click DeBloom. I just tested my copy of 1.3.7 and it
                    worked just fine.

                    On the More Options dialog, there is a checkbox for saving the state of the
                    DeBloomer to the clipboard. Make sure this is checked, attempt to DeBloom a
                    folder of images, and then paste the clipboard into an email so I can see
                    what your settings are.

                    Ron Wodaski
                    The New CCD Astronomy
                    http://www.newastro.com/ipb

                    wrote:
                    > The feature should work; it is just that error message that I
                    forgot to
                    > remove. Click the button with three dots to tell DeBloomer where
                    to find the
                    > files you want debloomed. I'll do a new version that cleans up
                    that error
                    > message. I guess I move my mouse to fast; I failed to notice that
                    the error
                    > message was still popping up! Sigh - the life of a programmer, I
                    guess. <G>

                    > Ron Wodaski
                    > The New CCD Astronomy
                    > http://www.newastro.com/ipb

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://www.nod32.com
                  • gilchriswa
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                      Ron,

                      The information from the clipboard follows:

                      Apply to folder: 1
                      Star rounding active: 1
                      Fuzzy fill active: 1
                      Automatic limits: 1
                      Blooming limit: 49151
                      Star limit: 3905
                      Fuzzy distance: 6
                      Iterations: 1
                      Noise factor: 20
                      Scan length: 5
                      Scan booster: 75
                      Auto increment: 50
                      Star limit adjust: 3200
                      Left adjustment: 0
                      Right adjustment: 0
                      Create bloom map: 0
                      Fix stars by rotation: 1
                      Rotate without showing stars first: 1
                      Offset fill source by fuzzy fill distance: 0
                      Copy results to clipboard: 1
                      Min. star size: 3
                      Star factor: 15

                      Done.