Re: [ccd-newastro] OT:Wrist pain

  • BA
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3 9:24 AM
      Hi,

      I mouse for a living (software engineer).

      *** Do not ignore this pain!!! It may go away "for now", but it will
      be back to haunt you! ***

      It's quite probable that your mouse simply doesn't fit your hand.
      Mouses are like shoes, and if yours doesn't fit you it can cause you
      problems.

      Another possible culprit is the height of your arm relative to your
      mouse. If your wrist is bent "wrong" you're putting bad stress on it.
      Relatedly, if your mouse is too far rightward or leftward, you're also
      putting bad stress on your wrist.

      Another thing to consider is how much you're using it, and for what.
      I simply do not play the "minesweeper" game anymore because I always
      pay for it with a few days' aching. And anything ... CAD drawing, for
      a possible example ... that would require that type and intensity of
      mousing would be something I'd have to avoid doing.

      Here's a site that seems to have some good information on workstation
      ergonomics, without having the additional conflicting interest of
      being an equipment sales site:

      http://www.medbroadcast.com/health_topics/ergonomics/

      On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 16:04:19 -0000, you wrote:

      >Ron-
      >Sorry this is so far off topic but during processing I get wrist pains
      >from the mouse I'm using. It's a Logitech Rollerball mouse. Am I not
      >mousing correctly (perhaps wrist position?. Would a traditional mouse
      >stop the pain? I have seen some kind of tablet that you draw on.
      >Would this work with Photoshop?
      >

      >Thanks
      >Carl
    • Tim Long
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3 1:47 PM
        Some mice are supplied with ergonomic hints in the instructions. One
        common piece of advice they give is to use the whole arm to move the
        mouse, do not rest your wrist on the table and use a flexing motion of
        the hand (most people do this habitually). Those mouse mats with the gel
        wrist pads are a bad idea, they encourage bad technique. I've heard you
        can get a mouse board that straps to your thigh, which gives a really
        confortable and natural (if not intuitive) mousing posture.

        There are a number of graphics tablets available. I use the AITEK
        HyperPen 8000 USB, which comes with a mouse and a stylus. The stylus is
        pressure sensitive which works really nicely with Photoshop

        Although it seems unrelated, consider getting a "natural keyboard" - one
        of the ones that put the keys at a funny looking angle. The Microsoft
        ones are very good because they are contoured both horizontally and
        vertically; some cheap imitations are only contoured horizontally. You
        get used to them in no time at all. The splayed keys allow a much more
        natural wrist position; it's not just a gimmick.

        Best of luck,
        Tim Long

        Sorry this is so far off topic but during processing I get wrist pains
        from the mouse I'm using. It's a Logitech Rollerball mouse. Am I not
        mousing correctly (perhaps wrist position?. Would a traditional mouse
        stop the pain? I have seen some kind of tablet that you draw on.
        Would this work with Photoshop?

        Thanks
        Carl

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/di/dietsmart/4.gif>
        <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/di/dietsmart/1.jpg>

        <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/di/dietsmart/orgline.gif>

        You can, too! Start here...
        <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/di/dietsmart/clear.gif>
        Height:
        3 4 5 6 7 8 ft 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 in
        <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/di/dietsmart/clear.gif>
        Weight:
        lbs. kg.

        <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/di/dietsmart/clear.gif>
        <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/di/dietsmart/3.gif>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=210544.1579876.3135161.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=1705082829:HM/A=776683/rand=228203338>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • carlburton2001@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5 7:18 AM
          Thanks to all that responded. I have a Hyperpen 8000 on the way.

          Carl