Plotting an objects course (Alt/AZ) over a period of time-How to?

  • Rick Wiggins
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
      Hi,
      Is there a program that will generate a plot of objects or various
      objects over the course of an observing period. I have been taking
      the data for objects of interest and plotting the Altitude & Aizmuth
      for purposes of planning best times for various objects to image. I
      use this to plan several iamges for a single night. I look for
      something higher than 30 degrees that continues at that altitude or
      above for the length that I wish to image. By looking at time versus
      altitude, I can pick those objects that are best positioned for
      imaging during periods of interest (i.e 9PM until 12AM; 12:30AM
      through 3:30AM; and 3:30AM through 5:00AM). The charts give me
      several selections for various positions in the sky etc., so that I
      can quickly select in the field, especially if I am blocked from my
      first choice. This also helps me plan my OTA/mount positioning to
      avoid Meridian swaps in the middle of a series. I am reading the
      coordinates from various planetarium programs and manually typing
      into Excel. Is there a better way? Any help is greatly appreciated.
      Thanks, Rick
    • Bob Bryant
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
        Hi Rick,

        Look at SkyTools http://www.skyhound.com/skytools.html
        it does exactly what you want and more...

        Bob

        sk
        --- Rick Wiggins <rickwiggins@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------

[...]