I am tired so last try on M31- LRGB.

  • Hugh Nunnally
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2004
      Well I am calling it quits on this one and time to move on to
      another target. Opinions from the group about this image on a ST-
      2000, did I get all I could from the camera or is there more if only
      I had....fill in the blanks or maybe too many to fill :) I know 1
      thing. not enough RBG exposure time and fairly poor re-align between
      the 2 nights. Its my first LRGB though so its going "on the wall".

      Regards Hugh

      fs-128 @f8
      NJP
      Optec tcfs
      st-2000xm CFW8

      2 nights worth
      Luminance: 11@10 minutes + 3@5 minutes + 5@4minutes.
      RGB: 3@5 minutes per channel
      Maxim Sigma clip combine. Curves and RGB in PS 8.0

      Reduce resolution: 980+-K
      http://www.hughscope.com/images/M31_ALLFRAMES_LRGB_RESIZE.gif
    • rhoowl@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        HI

        it's actually a good image....only thing about it is the stars have
        a slight red ring around them...perhaps you can boost the green and
        blue to compensate..there's alot of detail around the
        center...also...the center is large and bright..dominates the
        image....if you made it a mosiac....and added the wings of the
        images..then i think it would look fantastic..

        jamie

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Nunnally"

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
          Jamie, thanks for the feedback. The gif file actually has much less
          resolution. I should have uploaded the jpg file. The center I think
          is burned out. It reads 65,535. I have learned alot through this. I
          think 10 mintes per exposure on Lum was too much and I hand aligned
          the L + RBG in PS... maybe 1 more try...

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, rhoowl@y... wrote:

          > HI
          >
          > it's actually a good image....only thing about it is the stars
          have
          > a slight red ring around them...perhaps you can boost the green
          and
          > blue to compensate..there's alot of detail around the
          > center...also...the center is large and bright..dominates the
          > image....if you made it a mosiac....and added the wings of the
          > images..then i think it would look fantastic..
          >
          > jamie
          >

          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Nunnally"
          > <hnunnally@r...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Well I am calling it quits on this one and time to move on to
          > > another target. Opinions from the group about this image on a ST-
          > > 2000, did I get all I could from the camera or is there more if
          > only
          > > I had....fill in the blanks or maybe too many to fill :) I know
          1
          > > thing. not enough RBG exposure time and fairly poor re-align
          > between
          > > the 2 nights. Its my first LRGB though so its going "on the
          wall".

          > > Regards Hugh
          > >
          > > fs-128 @f8
          > > NJP
          > > Optec tcfs
          > > st-2000xm CFW8
          > >
          > > 2 nights worth
          > > Luminance: 11@10 minutes + 3@5 minutes + 5@4minutes.
          > > RGB: 3@5 minutes per channel
          > > Maxim Sigma clip combine. Curves and RGB in PS 8.0
          > >
          > > Reduce resolution: 980+-K
          > > http://www.hughscope.com/images/M31_ALLFRAMES_LRGB_RESIZE.gif
        • eja24601
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
            Hugh,

            That is an excellent first try. I would suggest taking a break from
            it for a day, then go back to it with a fresh perspective. I know
            the feeling - I'm struggling with quite a few recent images myself.
            And I've been imaging for over a year now! :(

            One thing, though: you mentioned that the core reads at 65,000+ -
            that, unfortunately, is indeed saturated - at least now I know not
            to go for 10 minutes if/when I attempt this galaxy myself! :)

            Good luck, keep it up, and take a break!
            HTH,
            Eric