Gradient question #2

  • kimw1234@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 30, 2001
      I tried removing the gradients in photoshop by loading them
      individually. When I copy them into photshop, should I copy them in
      as RGB (I assume not grayscale? In any event, I put each R, G, B in
      photshop individually (as RGB) and performed gradient removal and
      then saved them. When I subsequently tried to color combine the
      gradient improved images in CCDSoft, the software would not recognize
      any colors! hmmm. I guess I performed an illegal operation or
      managed to save them as monochromatic inadvertently? Thanks. Morgan
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 30, 2001
        I'm lost. I need more detail. I think we might need to get our terminology
        similar here. I don't understand what you mean by "copy them into
        Photoshop." If you are using the clipboard, don't do that! <g> Get Eddie
        Trimarchi's FITS file plug-in for Photoshop and open .FIT files directly.
        CCDSoft doesn't save 16-bit TIFFs, and you really want to perform histogram
        stuff on 16-bit data.

        If you have the images in Photoshop, you might as well do the color combine
        there.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 30, 2001
          Oops. I imported them individually into photoshop using the
          clipboard (as RGB), did gradient removal and then saved each one as a
          BMP. I tried to do the subsequent color combine of the R,G,B images
          in CCDSoft, but it would not recognize them for a color combine. I
          will get the FITS file plug-in. I am still a little perplexed as to
          why I could't combine them. Thanks. Morgan

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 30, 2001
            You couldn't combine them because the data types got mangled in the
            clipboard transfer. You have to keep them as FITS files, and you can't do
            that between CCDSoft and Photoshop. If you are going to do the gradient
            removal in Photoshop, you have to do the color combine there. Eddie's FITS
            plug-in won't save 16-bit FITS; CCDSoft won't save 16-bit TIFF, so you can't
            move 16-bit files between the two programs.

            I like the Photoshop color combine better than the CCDSoft one, so you are
            really ahead to learn all this stuff.

            Because most astro image files are 16-bit, you have to give up a lot of
            things you are familiar with; the clipboard is just one example. When you
            try to manipulate a 16-bit image in Photoshop, take note of how many tools
            are suddenly disabled and unavailable. You pay a price for the dynamic range
            you get from 16-bit data.

            Ron Wodaski
            The New CCD Astronomy
            http://www.newastro.com

            Oops. I imported them individually into photoshop using the
            clipboard (as RGB), did gradient removal and then saved each one as a
            BMP. I tried to do the subsequent color combine of the R,G,B images
            in CCDSoft, but it would not recognize them for a color combine. I
            will get the FITS file plug-in. I am still a little perplexed as to
            why I could't combine them. Thanks. Morgan

            --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@n...> wrote:
            > I'm lost. I need more detail. I think we might need to get our
            terminology
            > similar here. I don't understand what you mean by "copy them into
            > Photoshop." If you are using the clipboard, don't do that! <g> Get
            Eddie
            > Trimarchi's FITS file plug-in for Photoshop and open .FIT files
            directly.
            > CCDSoft doesn't save 16-bit TIFFs, and you really want to perform
            histogram
            > stuff on 16-bit data.
            >
            > If you have the images in Photoshop, you might as well do the color
            combine
            > there.
            >
            > Ron Wodaski
            > The New CCD Astronomy
            > http://www.newastro.com

          • Eddie Trimarchi
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 30, 2001
              Hi Ron,
              I really should update the fitsplug docs.

              I believe the inability for the fits plugin to save 16-bit fits files was
              because of a glitch in the photoshop plugin interface in Photoshop V3 and
              V4. I am using Photoshop V5 now and the plugin will actually save 16-bit
              fits files. I've also tried in PS V6 and 16-bit FITS saving does work, so
              maybe they fixed something in the architecture after V4 which would explain
              why I couldn't figure out the problem initially :)

              Regards,

              Eddie Trimarchi
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              http://users.fan.net.au/~eddiet

            • Kevin Dixon
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 31, 2001
                Good Morning Eddie:

                How does one obtain the plugin that Ron mentions?

                Clear skies,
                Kevin Dixon
                ksbtk@...

                From: "Eddie Trimarchi" <eddiet@...>

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 31, 2001
                  Hi Kevin,
                  The plugin is available for free download from my webpage below. Has been
                  for about 4 years :) Please help yourself.

                  Regards,

                  Eddie Trimarchi
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  http://users.fan.net.au/~eddiet

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 31, 2001
                    Thanks Eddie - I'll download it immediately.

                    Clear skies,
                    Kevin

                    From: "Eddie Trimarchi" <eddiet@...>

                    > Hi Kevin,
                    > The plugin is available for free download from my webpage below. Has been
                    > for about 4 years :) Please help yourself.
                  • John Smith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 31, 2001
                      Hi Eddie,

                      I've been a user of your great plug-in for some time. Thanks for
                      making it available! I use PS 6.0.1. There is some anomaly when
                      saving a FIT file in PS that seems to change the range. MaximDL v
                      2.12 reports the max and min values of an image as follows:

                      maximum minimum
                      original 190 50684
                      saved in PS 94 25341

                      For this test, I took a monochrome image that was combined and
                      averaged in Maxim, saved it, opened it in PS then saved it as another
                      FIT file name. I then opened both images in Maxim and noted the max
                      and min values as reported in statistics. It looks like the saved
                      image values are 1/2 of the original minus 1.

                      In any case, it is still an essential plug-in for bringing images
                      into PS.

                      Thanks,

                      John

                    • Ugly Dog
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 31, 2001
                        Eddie,
                        I have your old one and it won't do 16bit in PS6. Will you let
                        us know if/when you redo it? Thanks.
                        Ugly Dog
                        ps Kevin: Thanks for the words of encourgement.

                        --- Kevin Dixon <ksbtk@...> wrote:
                        > Good Morning Eddie:
                        >
                        > How does one obtain the plugin that Ron mentions?
                        >
                        > Clear skies,
                        > Kevin Dixon
                        > ksbtk@...
                        >
                        > From: "Eddie Trimarchi" <eddiet@...>
                        >

                        > > Hi Ron,
                        > > I really should update the fitsplug docs.
                        > >
                        > > I believe the inability for the fits plugin to save 16-bit
                        > fits files was
                        > > because of a glitch in the photoshop plugin interface in
                        > Photoshop V3 and
                        > > V4. I am using Photoshop V5 now and the plugin will actually
                        > save 16-bit
                        > > fits files. I've also tried in PS V6 and 16-bit FITS saving
                        > does work, so
                        > > maybe they fixed something in the architecture after V4 which
                        > would
                        > explain
                        > > why I couldn't figure out the problem initially :)

                        =====
                        Ugly Dog
                        Some of my images at:
                        http://www.denverastro.org/Starts/comet.html#polhamus
                        Web site: http://www.bewellweb.com/g42016k/
                      • Eddie Trimarchi
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 31, 2001
                          Hi John,
                          Glad you like the plugin! I believe you have identified a bug in the plugin!
                          I've just verified it myself. The ibnteresting thing is that the file was
                          getting converted from unsigned to signed. The full range of data is still
                          there though.

                          A single digit error in the writing of the fits file is causing both Mira
                          and Maxim, to misinterperate the data as being 32-bit floating point and
                          this must be affecting the numbers these programs are reporting from the
                          image. I would have thought this would stop the images from being read
                          correctly by both programs, but they do read, load and display successfully.
                          Very Odd!

                          I couldn't test this area when the plugin was originally written because
                          Photoshop wouldn't even show Fits as a valid 16-bit extension to save as at
                          the time.

                          I'll have a look into this and let you all know when it's been fixed. In the
                          meantime, rest assured that no data is being lost becasue of this. Thanks
                          for the report!

                          Regards,

                          Eddie Trimarchi
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          http://users.fan.net.au/~eddiet

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 31, 2001
                            Hi U.D.

                            Do you get the option to save 16-bit files as FIT, FTS? I can save and
                            reload 16-bit FITS files with V6.

                            Regards,

                            Eddie Trimarchi
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            http://users.fan.net.au/~eddiet

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 31, 2001
                              You are right -- I could save the .FIT file and open it in CCDSoft. A lot of
                              header data gets lost, however, so one should still be careful. Most
                              notably, the exposure time was lost. CCDSoft often uses a HUGE header.

                              Ron Wodaski
                              The New CCD Astronomy
                              http://www.newastro.com

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 31, 2001
                                Thanks Ron, I'll revamp the header side of things in the coming week. I
                                originally only wanted to get the images into PS and didn't care about
                                header info, but I think more attention to the header is finally due :)

                                Regards,

                                Eddie Trimarchi
                                http://users.fan.net.au/~eddiet

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 31, 2001
                                  You're more than welcome, Eddie. Good luck with the debug - should
                                  make a great plug-in even better!