Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Maxim Dl 4.0 vs Photoshop

  • Don Waid
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hugh,

      One major advantage to having and using PS-CS is the fact that most serious imagers use this software. Tips on the use of the software are readily available from the members of this and other astronomy imaging groups. Many plugins developed especially for astro-imaging are available for PS that are not available for other image processing programs. And don't forget one major advantage, Ron's book, and the one he is currently writing, is geared to PS. With PS you can follow along with his published instructions. I used Paint Shop Pro when I started this hobby. Many of the same tools are available in that program as are available in PS. It, however, is different in the ways you must use them. It was a great help to me to switch to PS-CS. My learning curve got a lot easier to climb when I started using the same software as Ron used in his books. I think one can live without MaxIm, but I would not want to be without PS. Having BOTH is, IMO, what you should shoot for. CCDSoft and CCDOps can substitute for MaxIm in the mean time.

      Don Waid
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
        Quote from Don " Many
        plugins developed especially for astro-imaging are available for PS "

        Hi Don,

        That is interesting. Where or how can I find them ?

        regards Rainer
      • Don Waid
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
          Rainer,

          Here are a few. Some are free and some are not.
          --------------------

          Free plugins for Photoshop of interest to astro-photographers.

          http://astro.umsystem.edu/apml/ARCHIVES/JAN04/msg00185.html

          ----------------------

          Eddie Trimarchi's Fits Plugin

          http://astroshed.com/fitsplug/fitsplug.htm

          ----------------------

          ESA/ESO/NASA Photoshop FITS Liberator v1.01

          http://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/download.html

          ----------------------

          Neat Image (Noise Reduction Program - Stand alone and PS / PSP Plugin

          http://www.neatimage.com/index.html

          ----------------------

          Grain Surgery for Photoshop. (Pricey - Neat Image is a less expensive alturnative.)

          http://www.visinf.com/downloads/

          ----------------------

          Lens Flare Brush - Used for putting diffraction spikes on stars

          http://www.artyears.com/downloads/Flarebrushes.html

          Don Waid

          plugins developed especially for astro-imaging are available for PS "

          Hi Don,

          That is interesting. Where or how can I find them ?

          regards Rainer

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Wodaski Yahoo
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
            These packages do different things. MaxIm DL has a wide assortment of image
            processing tools, many of which are tailored to astronomical imaging. Some
            of them are useful for scientific purposes, and some are useful for "pretty
            picture" image processing. Photoshop elements lacks some key tools, so a
            full version of Photoshop would be the most desirable. Photoshop is great
            for hands-on image processing - nothing else equals it, although less
            expensive packages like Paint Shop Pro have many useful and powerful tools.

            Photoshop is my personal choice, but using Photoshop requires a lot of skill
            building. Photoshop gives you very fine control over the appearance of the
            image, but of course you have to master its many tools in order to do that
            well. (That's the idea behind the new book.) MaxIm DL includes many
            functions that you can use to get very good results by setting parameters.
            It doesn't have the wide-ranging manual capabilities of Photoshop, so you
            have to choose which path makes more sense for you personally.

            Ron Wodaski
            The New CCD Astronomy
            http://www.newastro.com/ipb

            I am trying to decide on 1 software purchase for Image processing. I
            already have CCDSoft V5, CCDOpps, and PhotoShop Elements.

            I downloaded a trail version of Maxim 4.0. Seems to be very powerfull
            but does not apprear to have a "lasso" like Adobe has. I have not
            experimented with Photoshop Elements. Has anyone compared Elements to
            the other Adobe packages (CS for $200, 8.0 for $600) or compared
            Maxim 4.0 ($299 image processing only) to these? Should I buy Maxim
            and buy one of the Adobe packages?

            Thanks!

            Hugh

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://www.nod32.com
          • Rainer
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
              Hi Don,

              Thank you very much.

              Rainer

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don Waid" <don@a...> wrote:
              > Rainer,
              >
              > Here are a few. Some are free and some are not.
              > --------------------
              >
              > Free plugins for Photoshop of interest to astro-photographers.
              >
              > http://astro.umsystem.edu/apml/ARCHIVES/JAN04/msg00185.html
              >
              > ----------------------
              >
              > Eddie Trimarchi's Fits Plugin
              >
              > http://astroshed.com/fitsplug/fitsplug.htm
              >
              > ----------------------
              >
              > ESA/ESO/NASA Photoshop FITS Liberator v1.01
              >
              > http://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/download.html
              >
              > ----------------------
              >
              > Neat Image (Noise Reduction Program - Stand alone and PS / PSP
              Plugin

              > http://www.neatimage.com/index.html
              >
              > ----------------------
              >
              > Grain Surgery for Photoshop. (Pricey - Neat Image is a less
              expensive alturnative.)

              > http://www.visinf.com/downloads/
              >
              > ----------------------
              >
              > Lens Flare Brush - Used for putting diffraction spikes on stars
              >
              > http://www.artyears.com/downloads/Flarebrushes.html
              >
              > Don Waid

              Service.

            • Michael Downing
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                I tried a couple of long exposure HA images before the moon came up tonight
                with the STL-11000/FSQ/AP-900
                3 - 30 min images of the Pelican Nebula
                http://www.astroden.com/st11k/fsq/Pelican_Nebula_sm.jpg

                Not sure if the processing looks ok as I am using the home PC with a new
                flat panel

                Comments welcome
                Michael Downing
                www.astroden.com <http://www.astroden.com/>

              • Chris Sauer
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                  Hi Michael,

                  To me, the image looks a bit on the noisy side and slightly blurry. The
                  noise surprises me given the long exposure times. What combine method did
                  you use?

                  Regards,

                  Chris

                  --> I tried a couple of long exposure HA images before the moon
                  --> came up tonight
                  --> with the STL-11000/FSQ/AP-900
                  --> 3 - 30 min images of the Pelican Nebula
                  --> http://www.astroden.com/st11k/fsq/Pelican_Nebula_sm.jpg
                  -->
                  --> Not sure if the processing looks ok as I am using the home PC with a new
                  --> flat panel
                  -->
                  --> Comments welcome
                  --> Michael Downing
                  --> www.astroden.com <http://www.astroden.com/>
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  --> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  --> Yahoo! Groups Links
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                  -->
                • Michael Downing
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                    Thanks Chris
                    You know I cant seem to shake the noise in these images lately, I don't know
                    what is going on

                    I used an average combine with MaxIM 4

                    _____

[...]

                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290lqsm5/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
                    oups/S=1705082829:HM/EXP=1096807952/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http:/promo
                    tions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html> click here

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
                    :HM/A=2376776/rand=188376656>

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • Astrofx@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                      Michael
                      That looks great on my monitor.
                      Beautiful Ha image.

                      Charlie

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                        Michael,

                        I second what Charlie said. Very nice Ha image! However, I'm not used to seeing from the Canadian point of view. <VBG>

                        Don Waid