OT: Digitec "ElectroLuminescent Flat Field"

  • Daniel Perry
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2004
      Has anyone in the group used this product? Does it work as advertised?
      Are there any drawbacks?

      http://www.digitecoptical.com/elff.htm

      Thanks,
      Danny
    • Wodaski Yahoo
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13, 2004
        we've been using several different types of flat-panel "Flat Makers" as we
        call them over the last year or so. The ones we are using have been
        effective; I don't know specifically about the units from Digitec. I also
        don't know what they are patenting; certainly the concept of using flat
        panels for flats has lots of prior art (including ours).

        One problem we did see with electroluminescent panels is that for one-shot
        color cameras the ones we used did not have a color balance that yields good
        color flats. We are testing a fluorescent panel to see if it will solve that
        problem. It is an edge-illuminated fluorescent panel that is 24" x 24" and
        we use it for the 20" RCs.

        So the concept is sound, but the proof is in the pudding. You might want to
        see a spectrum analysis of a given EL panel if you plan to use it with a
        one-shot color camera; it shouldn't be too heavy in any one color.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com/ipb

        Has anyone in the group used this product? Does it work as advertised?
        Are there any drawbacks?

        http://www.digitecoptical.com/elff.htm

        Thanks,
        Danny