RE: [ccd-newastro] SBIG guidestars

  • Eddie Trimarchi
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
      The best way is to plan ahead.

      I use theSky. It has field of view indicators for SBIG cameras that include
      both imaging and guide chips. Once you have the orientation mastered you can
      easily see if there will be a suitable guidestar on the guide chip.

      The indicator also includes rings around the path of the guidechip so you
      can easily see if a guidestar would be made available by rotating the
      camera.

      It is something of a pain to rotate the camera, so I will compile a list of
      targets, then check each with theSky for a guidestar, then sort the targets
      into camera-orientation order. i.e. all targets that have a guidestar with
      the camera pointing north, only rotating the camera when I have finished
      objects in the current orientation. After two months I am yet to rotate the
      camera, but I'm going to a week-long astrocamp next week and expect to be
      doing it many times over :)

      I have several of these field of view indicators setup for various focal
      lengths and switch between them depending on the current setup.

      For the first six months with my new ST7e I used the hit-and-miss method.
      i.e. slew to an object, then search around for a guidestar while keeping the
      target more-or-less centered. This proved more frustrating than enjoyable,
      it's much better to know berforehand if it's even worth slewing to the
      object.

      Regards,

      Eddie Trimarchi
      http://users.fan.net.au/~eddiet