Re: [ccd-newastro] New content coming

  • Michael Clary
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2000
      Ron,

      I don't know exactly who is on your subscriber list, but I do know that
      there a lot of experts (plus a large number of wanna be's) out here. If I
      were you, I'd try posting partials for a while and see if the feedback is
      worth your time. You might get some good input that makes your job easier.
      On the other hand, you might stimulate questions that you may or may not
      wish to deal with. Either way, it's probably worth a try, but the bottom
      line is set it up to your advantage...we'll all benefit in the long run!

      press on!
      Michael Clary
      tricomp1@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 10, 2000
        I gave this some thought after reading the replies, and I think what might
        work best is to focus on sections, rather than entire chapters. I will
        experiment with posting each section as I complete it, following a technical
        accuracy check. The next section to be posted will be on dark frames.

        Ron Wodaski
        http://www.newastro.com

        I think your material is just wonderful and would love to see what is next.
        I have learned so much from the first chapter on focus - I am "hungry" for
        more. Please post what you have!!!

        Thank you for writing this book,

        Steve

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10, 2000
          I am getting some help from folks who are experts in the field, but it is
          coming mostly privately. Many folks have the ability to contribute, but are
          too busy to take on the commitment of a complete book. So I am looking
          forward to including quite a few contributions.

          As I mentioned in a separate post, I will experiment with posting one
          section at a time, rather than one chapter at a time. It will smooth things
          out for me -- no huge deadlines -- and give folks more content at a
          reasonable pace.

          Ron Wodaski
          http://www.newastro.com

          I don't know exactly who is on your subscriber list, but I do know that
          there a lot of experts (plus a large number of wanna be's) out here. If I
          were you, I'd try posting partials for a while and see if the feedback is
          worth your time. You might get some good input that makes your job easier.
          On the other hand, you might stimulate questions that you may or may not
          wish to deal with. Either way, it's probably worth a try, but the bottom
          line is set it up to your advantage...we'll all benefit in the long run!

          press on!
          Michael Clary
          tricomp1@...

          on 7/9/00 9:37 PM, Ron Wodaski at ronw@... wrote:

          > I made good progress on chapter 6 this weekend. This new chapter covers
          dark
          > frames, flat fields, and other techniques for controlling noise in your
          > images. I'd like to know if anyone is interested in viewing the early
          > versions/partial versions of chapters, or whether I should wait until the
          > chapter is done and checked for errors before I post it to the web site.
          It
          > normally takes a couple of weeks to finish a chapter, and another few days
          > to convert it to web format. If I post intermediate sections, I might be
          > better able to respond to special requests from subscribers, too. What do
          > you think?
          >
          > Ron Wodaski
          > http://www.newastro.com

        • Steve Mandel
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2000
            Ron:

            When will it be posted?

            I hope the next thing you post after darks is on flats - there are a lot of
            questions out there about that.

            Thanks,
            Steve

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2000
              Exactly; they are a natural pair. I think you'll like the level of
              information I'm providing on these two subjects. I know how I struggled with
              the concepts when I was starting out, and I'm trying to address the
              questions that naturally come up.

              Ron Wodaski
              http://www.newastro.com