Re: Best Drive System For Dob

  • suessenbergerde
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hello Ron,

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski Yahoo" <yahoo@n...> wrote:
      > * There are a number of off-the-shelf aluminum equatorial tracking
      platforms
      > for Dobs that will track very well for imaging.

      do you have some links for these abovementioned platforms?

      Kind Regards: Uwe
    • Wodaski Yahoo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
        Here is the one I have used personal with very good success, though not for
        several years now since I got the Paramount ME:

        http://www.astronomy-mall.com/regular/products/eq_platforms/

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com/ipb

        > * There are a number of off-the-shelf aluminum equatorial tracking
        platforms
        > for Dobs that will track very well for imaging.

        do you have some links for these abovementioned platforms?

        Kind Regards: Uwe

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://www.nod32.com
      • David
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
          Ron,

          Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I am new to the group and
          did not expect to hear from you. Your book is what changed my
          curiosity in CCD work into ambition.

          I had a feeling that the dual axis equatorial platform would be
          the way to go. Some of the other posts here offer ways to do that
          with cost in mind.

          As for the truss, I am trying to navigate the trade-offs between
          stiffness and wind resistance. I am concerned that an 8 pole truss
          system will catch too much wind, defeating the goal of stability. I
          am considering using two oversized truss poles with cross supports.

          Thank you again for your post.

          -David

          wrote:
          > It is easier to build a robust, accurate, and precise equatorial
          platform
          > than it is to do the same with an instrument rotator. Some reasons:
          >
          > * You can't just build an instrument rotator to high quality if you
          go that
          > route; you still need a high-quality drive and tracking mechanism
          anyway to
          > smooth out the bumps. So you really have to build two high-quality
          > high-precision systems if you go this route. And you are also
          tracking in
          > two axes at all times.
          >
          > * There are a number of off-the-shelf aluminum equatorial tracking
          platforms
          > for Dobs that will track very well for imaging. And if you build it
          > yourself, you only have to make one precision system. And an EQ
          platform
          > tracks in only one axis.
          >
          > For either case, you are going to need a stiff truss system to
          support the
          > secondary cage and the CCD camera. It needs to be stiffer than if
          it were
          > just for visual use both to maintain collimation as you slew, and
          to reduce
          > vibration during imaging.
          >
          > This is not to say that you couldn't do a nice derotator-based
          system, but
          > it will be harder to pull off well.
          >

          > Ron Wodaski
          > The New CCD Astronomy
          > http://www.newastro.com/ipb

        • David
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
            Michael,

            It is so helpful to hear from someone who has experience with a
            motorized dob. I understand that I can use a field de-rotator, but I
            worry that would result in too many motors on one scope (imagine
            adding a motorized focuser to boot).

            Since I haven't yet built the scope, I'm hoping to optimize
            aspects of it for CCD work (extra rigidity, lower wind resistance,
            etc.) Please let me know any modifications you wish your dob had to
            make it more friendly to CCD work.

            Thanks!

            -David

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sherick
            <michaelsherick@y...> wrote:
            > Hello David,
            >
            > I too had an interest in doing what you mentioned. I built up a
            17.5" dobsonian using Kriege's book. I then configured it with an
            Argo-Navis high-res digital setting circles, and a ServoCAT GOTO
            tracking system. The Argo has a great database and when used in
            concert with the ServoCAT, makes touring the night sky a real
            pleasure.

            > I then thought about imaging with this setup. I can tell you that
            the Alt/AZ mode is not very well suited for anything but very short
            exposures. Tracking becomes a significant issue as well as field
            rotation. I did have some fun with live video using the StellarCAM
            II -- great product. I would GOTO an object, and the internal
            integration would bring in objects like M51 very nicely on a video
            monitor.

            > If you want to continue down this path, I would suggest an EQ
            platform for your dob, as it will do a better of tracking. Good luck.