Full moon imaging: Pelican

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30 10:19 PM
      The pelican nebula isn't what you usually think of when you think of imaging
      at the full moon. H-alpha, lunar imaging, and globular clusters are more
      typical bright moon targets.

      I had to image much longer than I would normally, 1.75 hours, to get about a
      half-hours worth of exposure. <G> Still, it's a nice image of the neck area
      of Pelican with the 20" RC and STL-11000. Seven 15-minute exposures through
      the Clear filter (no IR blocking). The data was somewhat noisy so I shrunk
      it to 50%. Processed to increase contrast and show as much detail as
      possible:

      http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/pelican_50_hc2.jpg

      Here is a low-contrast version that shows faint details better, but doe not
      show structure as well in the bright areas of the image. It also preserves
      star shapes better:

      http://www.bb-obs.com/img/rc20/11000/pelican_50.jpg

      Ron Wodaski
      The New CCD Astronomy
      http://www.newastro.com/ipb
    • Astrofx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
        Wow Ron
        Sure is a lot going on in that little area of the Pelican. 20" sure resolves
        some detail nicely.
        My FS 60 told me that it wants to be an RC20 when it grows up. 8>)

        Charlie

        In a message dated 7/1/2004 1:47:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        yahoo@... writes:
        The pelican nebula isn't what you usually think of when you think of imaging
        at the full moon. H-alpha, lunar imaging, and globular clusters are more
        typical bright moon targets.

        I had to image much longer than I would normally, 1.75 hours, to get about a
        half-hours worth of exposure. <G> Still, it's a nice image of the neck area
        of Pelican with the 20" RC and STL-11000. Seven 15-minute exposures through
        the Clear filter (no IR blocking). The data was somewhat noisy so I shrunk
        it to 50%. Processed to increase contrast and show as much detail as
        possible:

      • Wodaski Yahoo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
          Thanks. Make sure you feed that 60mm only the best photons if you want it to
          grow up to be big and strong. <G>

          Ron Wodaski
          The New CCD Astronomy
          http://www.newastro.com/ipb

          yahoo@... writes:
          The pelican nebula isn't what you usually think of when you think of imaging
          at the full moon. H-alpha, lunar imaging, and globular clusters are more
          typical bright moon targets.

          I had to image much longer than I would normally, 1.75 hours, to get about a
          half-hours worth of exposure. <G> Still, it's a nice image of the neck area
          of Pelican with the 20" RC and STL-11000. Seven 15-minute exposures through
          the Clear filter (no IR blocking). The data was somewhat noisy so I shrunk
          it to 50%. Processed to increase contrast and show as much detail as
          possible:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://www.nod32.com
        • Michael Sherick
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
            Hello Ron,

            I enjoyed your Ha image of the pelican nebula -- under a full moon. The faint detail really shows nicely. Seems like the H-alpha filter is the "all-terrain" filter for imaging -- I like it a lot. What was the banwidth of your Ha filter?

            Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Wodaski Yahoo
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
              Thanks, but this wasn't taken with an Ha filter - I only put the Ha filter
              in tonight; it just arrived this afternoon. This was taken with a clear
              filter. We have exceptionally dark skies here, and I can image within 2-3
              days of full moon (before or after) and get decent results. The images are
              noisier due to the bright sky, but the overall dry air, 7300 foot elevation
              and dark skies allows imaging closer to full moon with conventional means.
              It's a big difference from Seattle, where I had wet air, bright skies, and
              about 100' elevation. <G>

              Ron Wodaski
              The New CCD Astronomy
              http://www.newastro.com/ipb

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
                Hmmm.....7300ft, dark skies and a 20 in RC.
                Sad, Sad indeed
                Mike,
                Vancouver WA

                Michael Cole
                UrbanImager Astrophotography website
                http://home.earthlink.net/~urbanimager/index.htm

              • Richard Bennion
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
                  Very nice Ron.

                  What Ha filter did you end up going for?

                  rb

                  Richard A. Bennion
                  Managing Director
                  Ewell Observatory
                  http://www.ewellobservatory.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
                    I've had a Custom Scientific for a couple of years, but it was in an Optec
                    filter wheel and I had to send the wheel back to Optec to remove the filter
                    (they are glued in). It just got back today, and I put it into the
                    STL-11000. I am focusing now...

                    Ron Wodaski
                    The New CCD Astronomy
                    http://www.newastro.com/ipb